Primitive Living

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
In Thoreau-esque fashion, I plan to one day retreat to the wild to teach and test myself on the matters of self-reliance and solitude. There’s no need to delve in to the semantics of why I want to do this because, if you think about it, it’s a very ideal and pleasant way of life. Indeed, for me there’s no real mysticism or magically romanticised thought process attached to the idea of living a primitive lifestyle, I merely want to try to experience the outdoors in an authentic and natural way. I’m not excluding any and all sentimentality, though, because there’s still a burning passion to honour my ancestors, and without that goal in mind I wouldn’t even be thinking about doing this. And I’m well aware of the dangers of romanticising a plan so much so that it might blind one to real potential dangers. Only when I’m ready would I venture out in to the wild. That brings me nicely to the next section…

To me Bushcraft is the culmination of the many thousands of years our ancestors had to hone their skills and make a living in whatever environment they found themselves. But that’s just the survival aspect of Bushcraft. I think that Bushcraft’s most important role for us in the modern world is to enable those who feel a powerful connection with nature to live off the land, to see the world through the eyes of the men who knew it intimately. Such a connection is something which our ancestors had since they were born, although they didn’t necessarily know it as it was just their way of life.

I respect many aspects of the traditions of ancient man and have always been deeply enamoured by the natural world and the men who could thrive in it. When I found Bushcraft I felt as if I had found a part of myself that had been lost. Indeed, it blends seamlessly with my world-view and deep respect for the people of old, but there are problems with the mainstream view of this hobby and consequent image it has created.

From my observation Bushcraft is synonymous with survival schools and ex-military men and women. The problem with this is that although Bushcraft teaches vital survival skills, just surviving isn't why I want to go out in to the wilderness. For such people it’s as if the skills learnt in Bushcraft cease to be relevant once they return to civilization, having braved the harsh conditions of the wild land in which they were stranded. And what heroes they were for escaping it, the media will say. That is how most people see Bushcraft, but there is a small percentage of us who practice primitive skills because we understand that we are creatures of the earth. Following this view, we think that wilderness is not something from which we can or should be able to escape. Lynx Vilden of the Four Seasons Prehistoric Projects puts it best in the following video:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/CYtyiRb2k9E[/video]

So, with all of that said, my goal is to master these ancient skills in such a mindset so that I can be confident in my survival.

Let's talk about primitive living. Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age... Do you partake in reenactment? Do you study ancient history? Are you planning to do something similar in your later years?

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I applaud your way of thinking as I think it touches the essence of bushcraft and I really do hope you will be able to fullfill your dreams and goals!
I do not try or want to live like in the Stone age, bronze Age or something like that. I don't believe doing that is necessary to understand our connection to the natural world. I try to live a less technologically dominated and less resource demanding way of life and thus narrow the gap between me and that great outdoorworld, I know I will never be a fully intergrated part of.
But if you are not held back by a family (and subsequent social ties) I do not see why not go for it.
The main difference between the people back then and now is the knowledge. They were born into this natural world and from day one lived and interacted with it. We on the other hand are born into this modern world with all its "gifts" and that might become a hindrance when really finding and accepting your place out there. Unlearning our modern ways is as important as learning the ways to not just stay alive, but thrive as well.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Hi Taylor,

Very interesting website you have there i look forward with great anticipation to it's future development. i also share your atavistic leanings and would also love to explore the more primative life, alas my family responsabilities preclude this at this time and so i shall continue to learn and do what i can to libraetion (sic). Good luck with your future projects i hope they bring you satisfaction.

Kind regards,

RTh

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thank you, RonW.

You make an excellent point about the process of unlearning our modern lifestyle being just as important as learning the ancient skills of the past. The two go hand in hand. Over a long period of time I'll need to gradually decrease my dependence on modern tools and pleasantries, etc. I'll probably write an article on my plan for preparing to achieve the right mindset and the steps I'll take to distance myself as much as possible from modern life. I should also point out that such an experiment is years away, obviously. I just think it's best to start fleshing out every little detail and plan far ahead into the future.

Thanks for the compliments, ReamviThantos. You're just the sort of person to which my site caters, I think. We're only a two man operation so things are a bit stagnant right now. Updates will come soon.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Have you looked at EXARC which is a pan-European society of experimental archaeologists and interested parties?
http://exarc.net/

There are lots of crossovers from experimental archaeology to living history to bushcraft, in fact I cannot think of a topic you might want answers that couldn't be answered for ancient living by somebody in the living history "community". H

aving acquired a lot of repro gear for the periods you mention plus for later periods I am more and more looking to the Mesolithic for some fun. After all until the invention of the flush toilet life was much the same for people of all periods if they were lucky enough to have a decent house, enough food and quiescent neighbours with tolerable exactions from the aristocracy and priests. Comfortable maybe meant boring.

Sadly it looks as though even the Mesolithic had the land carved up between tribes so the notion of living free and independently is probably a myth in any age. Unless one pioneered into another's territory when conflict was more than possible. Does post Ice-Age Jeremiah Johnson living appeal?

Maybe real freedom was on the water, certainly I believe you can get closer to sharing experience of the past by being afloat.

rg598

Native
I think it would make a great project. I hope you keep us updated of your progress, although understandably that would require a certain degree of technology.

The only thing I will mention from what I have observed, as this plan has crossed my mind as well, is that our ancestors virtually always managed to make a living off the land as parts of a community, not as individuals. Living alone in nature, was almost always equated to death for them. From the modern men who have tried and succeeded in doing it alone, Thoreau, Proenneke, etc, they all had well planned help and supplies from the outside. As you said, planning all the details would be crucial, much as it would be on a long range expedition.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Boatman, thank you for the website link and other references. And yes, I've looked into living history and it interests me greatly. I hope to take part in a living history community some time in the coming years. I can't really imagine going into this project without having some extensive living history experience beforehand.

http://www.glasgowvikings.co.uk/ is one of the communities that is relatively close to me. Very inspirational and undoubtedly educational.

Thank you, Rg598, for your interest.

It seems that both of you are picking on the solitary aspect of this project and its plan. When I said I wanted to test myself on the matters of self-reliance and, most importantly, solitude, I didn't mean that exactly... I understand that community played a very large part in ancient hunter-gatherer societies or "bands". That's what they were, a group of people, not a single person trying to fend for him/herself. I should make it clear that I'm only modeling the project in a solitary fashion because I don't have anyone to share in the experience yet. If I were to ever meet like-minded people who were willing to do something like this I would take them a long with me, of course, but for now I'll focus solely on myself.

Macaroon, please elaborate...

Last edited:

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, THOaken

You don't have to go back as far as pre-Roman Britain to find suitable examples of the kind of Bushcraft living you are thinking of. Until very recently, trappers and prospectors in Canada lived in the way you describe, spending the trapping season alone in the backwoods, or wandering the Northwest Territories in search of economic mineral deposits, often alone, for months on end. There are some good books written in the late 19th and early 20th century, either describing the adventure of these people, or as manuals for those planning to go on trips of this kind.

One source of useful information you might consider is to try to make friends with some Romani, as some of the older family members are willing to share their knowledge if approached in the right way. I learned a lot of my skills from a group of Romani I knew when I was a teenager about forty years ago. There are still a few older ones about who remember the old skills that were in common use during Wagon Time. There's also quite a bit of useful information on some of the websites relating to Romani history and culture.

Hope this is of interest to you, even though it relates to (fairly) recent times.

Alan

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
Is it possible to live a life (or try to) without modern influences, when they are still available? Surely while these are still around you can't really get the experience you want?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi, THOaken

You don't have to go back as far as pre-Roman Britain to find suitable examples of the kind of Bushcraft living you are thinking of. Until very recently, trappers and prospectors in Canada lived in the way you describe, spending the trapping season alone in the backwoods, or wandering the Northwest Territories in search of economic mineral deposits, often alone, for months on end. There are some good books written in the late 19th and early 20th century, either describing the adventure of these people, or as manuals for those planning to go on trips of this kind.

Alan

They did, but did not really live off the land, they more often than not took in pack mules/horses laden with food supplies, flour, sugar, coffee, bacon, beans etc The vast majority did not go in and just rely on their 'Bushcraft' skills.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
The old trappers in Canada had incredible bushcraft skills and they still knew well enough to bring tools and supplies. The Canadian bush isn't very forgiving and it's very hard to survive let alone thrive and natives of old accepted the white mans tools and especially lard and flour as soon as it was available. There just isn't much to eat in the boreal forest, it sounds romantic but I doubt there's anyone in the whole bushcraft community that could make it for an extended period unless they shot a moose. Then to throw in the idea of not really bringing a sled full of tools and food? Good luck friends!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Its a lovely romantic idea but just remember the average life expectancy of primative man wasn't very high make sure you have a backup plan!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Its a lovely romantic idea but just remember the average life expectancy of primative man wasn't very high make sure you have a backup plan!

I'm well aware of this, Corso. Of course I'll make a backup plan.

Thanks, everyone, for the discussion.

Right now I'm working on two things, the overall project plan and the first article in the planning stage. These articles will be available on my website soon.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The old trappers in Canada had incredible bushcraft skills and they still knew well enough to bring tools and supplies. The Canadian bush isn't very forgiving and it's very hard to survive let alone thrive and natives of old accepted the white mans tools and especially lard and flour as soon as it was available. There just isn't much to eat in the boreal forest, it sounds romantic but I doubt there's anyone in the whole bushcraft community that could make it for an extended period unless they shot a moose. Then to throw in the idea of not really bringing a sled full of tools and food? Good luck friends!

I speak to a Canadian guy from time to time (he's based in Yellowknife now) and he's been a hunter all his life but he's told me you can go out on several trips and find nothing to hunt. For him a Moose will fill his freezer but they ain't that easy to find always...'Wilderness' is an apt description. You come across posts on forums where people go on about having the 'skills to feed my family' after TEOTWAWKI but thats nonsense really, certainly in the UK.

Good luck to the OP though but take lots of food with you because you'll need it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
You come across posts on forums where people go on about having the 'skills to feed my family' after TEOTWAWKI but thats nonsense really, certainly in the UK.

Good luck to the OP though but take lots of food with you because you'll need it.

indeed long pork will be on the menue very quickly....

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Assuming that one didn't have to compete with or fend off loads of other people after the same resources then there is no reason why one could not feed one's family with a range of skills including gardening and fishing.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Assuming that one didn't have to compete with or fend off loads of other people after the same resources then there is no reason why one could not feed one's family with a range of skills including gardening and fishing.

Canadian wilderness or the UK?

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
North-west coast dwellers in the Americas did very well with fishing and whaling, some eked this out with raiding, piracy and slaving. Believe they had sort of garden plots as well. So obviously one could manage there just as one could crofting up the seabords of Britain and Ireland. Foraging in either UK or Canada could lead to slim pickings until into the Mesolithic routine IF very few people were doing so it would be viable.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE