Prepping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
Hi people, I'm going to start prepping after reading to much and scaring myself.
I want to know what is the best way in preserving food and how long would it last. Also does water go bad if I was to start storing it in big bottle or jerry's cans, and finally am I able to buy seed for veg and make the last forever for when I'm ready to grow them???

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Hello smokyjoe, prepping is a good step but there is a limit to the amounts and variety. Be realistic, a few weeks, a month.... some go overboard and keep years worth...overkill.
Make sure that the containers are food safe, kept dry, out of sun etc...
Practice skills that you perceive as needed, others here will add to or delete skill sets that will be useful to you and your location, legal obligations etc... What I need, use is from my own location and experiences.
Just like 2912 dec. 21st, was never going to happen, the spin doctors exaggerated the threat, it is not the end, just keep up camping skills, add to them, and don't believe all of what you read...hmm even this post :cool:

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
One thing that spring to mind when your a prepper......

Nice target for people with a bigger stick........ if it happens

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Here's some good tips about water & food storage: http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf
I'm pretty sure I've seen a better leaflet from FEMA about it... maybe search around on their website for a bit.
Also, for water I checked out some nearby springs marked on OS maps. 2 were just bog, but the third was a perfect freshwater spring about a mile away from my house :D
Even in all this heat it's still pouring out lovely cold tasty water :D
Could also get a water butt & build a big purification barrel like they use in some parts of Africa too.

I don't think it's the best way to preserve food long term, but there are a lot of instructions on the web about building solar dehydrators. Worth a look just so you know how to do it.
How much food etc. do you want to store?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The best way to get into long term prepping is to convert to Mormonism and move to Utah :) They prep as a matter of theological doctrine for a two year scenario; and maintain their own shop selling supplies. Said shop is open to the general public as well, The Bishop's Storehouse.

For a more practical approach to realistic scenarios, follow FEMA's guidelines.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A preppers forum is a better place for the question smokeyjoe (I co-founded one - but there are many geared to all levels and types of prepping). In short

There are many types of food storage - from mylar storing dried grains and pulses (these can last a quarter century or more) to home bottling and canning meats.

Water is a molecule - it never spoils. However water is rarely pure and contaminants can spoil it in days. Some form of organic contamination can release poisons that coarse filtering and boiling have no effect on (blue green algae for example). Having an ongoing water source would be key to any prepping plan.

No seed will last forever - whatever the storage method. Some last a very short time (2 years) others can last decades.

Seed storage is a subject on which books are written - as is food storage as indeed is water harvesting and treatment, but I hope to have sketched out the basics there.

A lot of the answers you seek can be found in the LSG books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...=Ludlow+survivors&rh=i:aps,k:Ludlow+survivors

I also recommend "Bugging In and Bugging Out" by David Crossley - nice guy - poor taste in whisky though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bugging-Out...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374192678&sr=1-2

Red

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm a prepper but now keep off the forums (attract too many doom and gloom/wannabe rambo/panic/fantasy island types) but join one and look at at the basics like food storage. http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ is a long established site and perhaps the best one with a lot of very good information. Its American with a lot of bible talk but the prepping advice is in depth and plentiful; much better than UK forums IMHO.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Last edited:

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
I think tsitenha makes a good point; Stocking up on tons of consumables seems a good idea but has disadvantages in terms of cost and practicality, particularly when planning for an event which is neither certain (within practical timescales), nor clearly defined. Once you hit a large enough store, it ties you to a location, too. My view is that a 72 hour bug-out bag in combination with a modest food store and the tools and skills required to quickly begin providing for your family's essential needs (shelter, warmth, clean water, food, etc) is a better use of resources. That said, I live in a city so basing myself here in the event of catastrophe would be madness.

Probably a controversial opinion amongst preppers, and I have thought about other more involved plans, but given my current life circumstances, in the event of a nuke I'm dead anyway, and my exit route would be unimpeded in most other scenarios, as long as I got moving quickly.

The scenario I think is most worrying is epidemics - by the time you know to get out, they could have already progressed quite far.

rg598

Native
I make an effort not to participate in any of the prepping forums because I always find them to be completely unhinged from any realistic preparation that might be required. When I was growing up, what would be considered basic prepping by many was just the regular way of life. To preserve food, we dried it, salted it, canned, or pickled it. Meat we made into salami and dried it. Fat (usually pork fat) we salter-use a barrel to put a layer of fat, then a layer of salt, and keep going until it is full. Fruit we canned, and vegetables we pickled. We did that because food was seasonal, so we had to preserve it when it was available.

We routinely didn't have water or electricity or heat. Water is the biggest issue because you need it for more than drinking. For example, if you live in an apartment building, how do you flush your toilet? We used to keep water just for that purpose.

It is very difficult to prep without knowing for what you are prepping. Doing it blindly usually results in a paranoia driven overkill that is ultimately useless when an actual emergency comes about. For example, is the scenario for which you are preparing a natural disaster that will cause flooding in your area? If so, all those things stored int he basement will not be much use. Are you preparing for the collapse of civilization? If so, those stores will not do much good either unless you have plenty of guns and ammunition.

Anyway, here is an example of a small level emergency situation we had recently and what I ended up needing: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/11/preparedness-and-surviving-urban.html

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
+1 That's just how we used to live.

I've only recently come accross the term prepping and I don't like the term much.

IMHO Preparation would be for the full range of possibilites of life from highest success to lowest failure, not just a narrow band that you have zeroed in on for whatever reason.

Lofty mentions food stores and "living at last year's prices".

Cody Ludin keeps saying in his book get your disaster survival kit together and then....get on with your life. My limitied experience of preppers that part 2 is just more of part 1. It's not for me to say that isn't a "Life" but it does not look like it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......IMHO Preparation would be for the full range of possibilites of life from highest success to lowest failure, not just a narrow band that you have zeroed in on for whatever reason.

True. But as a matter of practicality most of us only prep for what's most likely in our area. For me that's hurricanes; in parts of the west, it's forest fires , along the west coast, it's forest fires and earthquakes, in the Midwest, it's floods and tornadoes.

Apparently in the OP's part of the world, it's earthquakes.

Thus my suggestion to check what local authorities recommend.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
That's not quite what I meant. But yes you have a point. If you want to prep for Forest Fires then you probably need prepare a bit better and move out of the UK.

What I meant was..... if your Life is consumed in preparing for disaster then you have probably missed most of the range of possibilities available to you in Life.

Ironically in being obsessed with not dying you would have failed to Live. Another mantra of Cody's which I liked was "Screw Survival. Survival sucks! I wanna LIVE!"

(not a Cody fanatic but those are two of his quotes that fit here).

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's not quite what I meant. But yes you have a point. If you want to prep for Forest Fires then you probably need prepare a bit better and move out of the UK......

Or just ignore it as it isn't a likely disaster there. LOL. I think we're actually preaching the same point from different views TBH. Prep for what's probable (A better description than "likely") and don't obsess on trying to cover every "possiblility."

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
When it comes to life what is probable is constrained by what you focus your thoughts on. If 90 or 100% of your thoughts are on "prepping for disaster" that's a very big constraint on prepping for anything else like contentment, excitement, change etc. etc. etc.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
How about looking at what is likely to happen to you on a personal level, Death, Divorce, Separation, Illness, Unemployment...All of these can happen at pretty much any time. So what would you do tomorrow if your partner dropped dead, have you any idea what you need to do? How does the washing machine work? how do the bills get paid with only one income coming in? How do you deal with the kids growing up? What happens when the holidays come? These are all things we can prepare for one way or another. How about the loss of an income into the household, how do you prepare for that? shall we just sit back and shrug our shoulders and do nothing or should we learn a bit more about frugality, make do and mend sort of stuff. It isn't all about doom and gloom, someone who was once here wrote this.

Media hype.
Military style boot camps, preppers training for TEOTWAWKI
scenarios.

Reality.
Group of friends get together and have a few
days away, some sharing of ideas and demonstrations about "40 things you never
realised you could do with a bucket"

"Media hype.
Survivalists have
huge stockpiles of guns and ammunition and are ready to use them to facilitate a
new world order.

Reality.
Preppers and survivalists are more likely
to have a year's supply of loo roll and have found the best way to store it.

Media hype.
Survivalists are secretive which means they have
something to hide

Reality.
Preppers have spent time and money
getting them in the best position they can in order to survive perceived threats
(flood, fire, natural/manmade disaster etc.) the last thing they want is for a
large group of people arriving expecting to be looked after in the event of said
threat. It is an insurance policy, and just like insurance on your home you
don't tell everyone about how much you are covered for.

Media hype.

Survivalist websites are filled with gun reviews and the best weapon for
taking out a man sized target.

Reality.
Some are, but these are
thankfully in a minority. Most prepper's websites talk about food and water
storage, what fruit and vegetables to plant, how to make new things out of old,
off grid power (electricity without the commercial power stations), how to cook
on an open fire or how to build a stove. When guns are mentioned it is how to
hunt small game. When larger calibre is mentioned it is for hunting of larger
game animals i.e. deer.

Most people have home and contents insurance. It
doesn't mean they want their homes to be destroyed. It is future proofing
against what may happen.
Preppers are future proofing against threats to
their everyday lives, an insurance policy that can be cashed in immediately in
case of emergency."

I found this on the net a few years back... Hope the formatting doesn't go askew.

WE ARE SURVIVALISTS
He who fails to prepare for the night, fails to prepare
for the dawn.

I am a survivalist and by nature a survivalist is an
OPTIMIST. I do not
have one pessimistic bone in my body. If what I just said
sounds odd to you
then you are not yet a survivalist and you do not
understand the modern
survivalist at all. It has been very difficult to
communicate to the public
and the mass communications media, the concept of
an optimistic, hopeful
survivalist.
A fireman is a fireman, not because he
believes everything will burn, but
because he believes much can be saved.
Doctors don't believe in death, they
believe in life, and a survivalist is
not a survivalist because he believes
everything must be destroyed and
everyone must die, he believes that life and
freedom can be saved, if people
of good will are prepared. A fireman does not
start fires, a doctor does not
make disease and a survivalist does not make
disaster.
Crime, disease,
war, revolution, fire, flood, periodic financial collapse
and famine are the
results of nature and the nature of man and unfortunately
are not within the
power of anyone on this earth to prevent.
We all know that the sun will set
each day, leaving us in darkness and we
all know that warm summers give way to cold winters and that we can do nothing
to keep the sun from setting to
the cold winds from coming, does this make us
pessimistic? I think not! So
then why is the survivalist called a pessimist
when he makes ready to face
events that are just as much part of history and
nature as the sunset and
changing of the seasons.
Another misconception is that survivalists are
predicting world disaster.
On the contrary, we seem to be the OPTIMISTIC
MINORITY that is predicting
world survival. We are hard pressed to find any
well recommended historians,
economists, political scientists, sociologists
or military strategists that
can come up with a scenario that gives even a
fifty-fifty chance of avoiding a
large scale catastrophe, yet we survivalist
dare to be OPTIMISTIC about the
future. We survivalists do not need to
predict the probability of disaster
anymore than we need to predict the sun
setting.
Those who criticize survivalists, are like men who refuse to look at
a
calendar, in the hope that through self-imposed ignorance they can keep
from
aging another year.
"You survivalists will be disappointed if we
don't have a world cataclysm",
here is another accusation that is pure B.S.
and I could not think of a milder
phrase to describe it. We survivalists have
loved ones we don't want to see
hurt or killed, we have homes we don't want
to see destroyed, we are not fools
to think that just because we are
survivalists a world cataclysm would be fun
for us or the we would not
experience danger, loss, hunger, injury, cold or
even despair and
death.
We have spent time and money to improve our chances for survival
and
recovery from disaster, but we would have a great celebration if some day
we
could be assured that we had wasted our time. No, we will not be
disappointed
if there is no disaster to survive, anymore than the Red Cross
is disappointed
when there are no floods and storms or the man who buys an
insurance policy is
disappointed when his house fails to burn down.
It may
be said that the survivalist would much prefer the pleasant (but
unlikely)
surprise of being wrong to the (probable) deadly rude awakening that
the non
survivalist will face if he is wrong.

So, you see the survivalist can not
lose because his survival preparations
will be of value regardless of what
the future has in store. In time of
crisis, those who have not prepared to
turn to each other, will turn on each
other.
It is most regrettable
indeed, that many people consider survivalists as a
threat and regard them
with suspicion and even hostility. This attitude is
logically indefensible
and is rooted in the non survivalists own sense of fear
and guilt.
Subconsciously, the new survivalist may hate the survivalist for
reminding
him of how fragile his lifestyle is. Now, let's get the facts
turned around
right. Every person who has not made provisions for surviving
without food,
water, fuel and other essential needs from the outside, is a
mortal danger to
his neighbours.
What will a man do when he and his family are freezing,
hungry, thirsty,
sick and starving? He may ask or beg his neighbors for help,
but when they
have no extra fuel, food, water or medicine to give, will he
just go back home
to die with his wife and kids? What do you think? We
survivalists who stock
up on food and other supplies, now do a favor to
society because what we now
buy is replaced on the shelves so there will be
that much more available in an
emergency. We survivalists won't be looting
and killing for food. We won't be
a burden on the medical facilities or a
danger to the police. Since we will
be able to turn to each other, we will
not need to turn on anyone and we may
be able to help at least
some.
Survival preparation should be regarded as a social obligation, one
that
every individual owes to his family and community and his nation.
The
non survivalist is simply a poor and irresponsible citizen.
So the
reality is, that survivalists are optimistic, self-reliant
individuals, who
cannot help but see the imperative of preparing for the worst
possible
events, while hoping sincerely, that they won't happen. Today's
survivalist
is an asset to his community and to the world and should be proud
to be
called SURVIVALIST.

Many people will sit back and wait for help from others, I am sure there are plenty of cases that can show that as factual, but what happens when there isn't going to be any help, you are then on your own, without a paddle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE