pot cosy material, what to use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Thinking of making a pot cozy, what is the best stuff to use and where from? I have seen alunimium foil bubble wrap but it does seem rather expensive

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I used this stuff
http://reviews.wickes.co.uk/9987-en_gb/210022/reviews.htm
held together with the silver tape .

Yep this one. At least one of the DIY stores will have it on offer. I got a roll a few years ago and I'm still making cosies left right and centre.

Don't bother with the twin cosy "2 layers are better than one" approach- I've tried it and the heat values are not significantly different to one layer.

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
I got a 10m roll of the silver bubble wrap stuff from b and q for £15 and have made loads of cosies. Along with a mat to go under my hammock. (Maybe more successful in the warmer months I have yet to try that.) along with some heat mats for stoves and super light weight windshields.

Bob Cartwright did a very thorough test of pot cosies, and the thermal efficiency of different designs on the outdoor station at this link (I hope)

http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2012/02/how-and-why-to-make-a-pot-cosy-for-your-cooking-system/

Hope it helps, you can always make some for your mates with the spare material, which could lead a warm feeling inside. Some could even say cosy....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Is the suitable for pot cozy bubble wrap silvered on both sides or just on one as when I received a gallon jug of isopropyl in the post it was wrapped ( inside the box) in a giant bubble wrap envelope that's just silvered on the outside.

Atb

Tom

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
The stuff that i use is silver both sides, but your stuff will still work. If it's thin enough you could alwys double back it.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
+ 1 to the thermawrap. I bought 1 roll on special offer and have made loads of cosies with it, plus a long length to go either in my hammock for summer months or under a thermarest in winter whilst ground dwelling. It significantly increases the warmth of a thermarest prolite during winter camping down to -10c (I've not tried it lower than that though).

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Thermowrap!
I noticed that at my local Homebase, they would reduce a full roll by a third if the label was missing or it had a slight tear in it.
I bought a full roll plus the tape for £15 and it'll last for years.
Used a long length for under quilt in winter and works a treat.

The best use has been a cosy for my Nalgene bottle. Don't make a cosy lid though, fill with near boiling water, slip on the cosy then put in a dry bag in my sleeping bag. The cosy controls the release of the heat keeping me toastie all night and it's still warm in the morning making the first brew a lot quicker!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
And after a hours messing here's the first two cozies. There's not enough tape left to do another but that's easily sorted tomorrow. I did my two most used pans first and will do the big pans I simmer stuff in next.

image_zps8f6b2b13.jpg

cheers!

Tom

the pic will be upside down no doubt if viewed on a iPad....

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I would add that when I first started making cosies I used the aluminium tape- don't bother it's too flimsy, stay with the silver nasty (or black if you aren't bothered about colour co-coordinating!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE