1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are UPGRADING THE FORUMS in the next couple of weeks so there might be some downtime, and also there will be some changes to the forum, how it looks (we intend on getting it as close to this version as possible) and some of the functionality will change, hopefully for the better!

This is an essential upgrade so there's no choice but to do it so that we stay secure and the site stays up and running with minimal compatibility issues etc.

Thank you for your patience over the next few week and your patience as everyone gets used to a few things that will change. Any questions ask away in the appropriate forum.

Thanks, Tony
    Dismiss Notice

placement of roof bars on a pickup

Discussion in 'Transport - 4x4 - Canoes etc' started by baggins, Jan 6, 2018.

1. baggins

baggins Full Member

Hi Folks,
    This year we have decided to eventually splash out on a couple of sea kayaks (so we aren't limited to kayaking around hire centres).
    I have an isuzu D-max pick up with a truck man hardtop. There are no fixed roof bars, so need to buy a set of aftermarket ones (probably Thule).
    My question is, due to the length of the kayaks (17") can i fix one of the roof bars on the hard top and one on the cab? or is it better to fit both bars on the main cab? Tried looking at both Truckman and Thule websites, and no answers.
    Cheers
    Baggins

2. birchwood

birchwood Nomad

Personally I would have one on the cab and one on the hard top. If you have them close together on the cab with 17 foot boats you will have a lot of windage- twist effect on the boats.
    Good thread over on Song of the Paddle about boats on cars.
    My kayak is 17 foot which was fine on my estate car does not sit so well on present car ,206, due to the only possible placement of my current roof bars

3. baggins

baggins Full Member

Thanks Birchwood,
    my concern is that the hard top is just clamped on and i wasn't sure whether it was solid enough to cope with the stresses of the windage on 2 boats.

4. santaman2000

santaman2000 M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

+1 to spreading them out. If the clamps are done correctly it will be fine.

5. baggins

baggins Full Member

Nice one,Thanks guys.

6. The Cumbrian

The Cumbrian Full Member

Funnily enough I bought my D'Max with this in mind. Mine came fitted with roof rails on the cab, and I fitted a hardtop with roof rails too. Now tying my 17' canoe to the top is really easy and only needs two straps, rather than the straps and fore & aft tie downs that I used on my previous vehicle.

Cheers, Michael.

7. birchwood

birchwood Nomad

I made some webbing straps with eyelets to go on the wing bolts under the bonnet , they fold underneath when not in use, to tie the front of the kayak down . Tied to the tow bar at the back. Just extra insurance in case of self launching on the motorway.

8. baggins

baggins Full Member

thats great to know, thanks a lot folks.