Parachute camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
A question to those who have.

I’m planning on taking a few persons camping next week, I have got a parachute for a group shelter, how or what is the best way to get the smoke to draw? Every time I use the thing it always seems to fill leaving me feeling like a kipper

TKS

Frogo

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If you are pegging it to the ground teepee style then you need to leave the entrance open so it has air to draw. In damp / rainy weather, smoke can hug the ground, and if there is no wind blowing over the top you will not get any draw :-(

Ed

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Ed, took the parachute out today to try some techniques out. The smoke has lifted from the floor, it seems to be drawing not as well as I would like, I have a good 3ft smoke free area above the floor, and as much rain as we had today it stayed pretty dry inside.

Frogo

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The heat should help it draw. I usually put the chute up above the ground and it's no problem. I think that we're presuming you do have a hole in the top of the chute! I know that Stuarts one doesn't!

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Tone,

That is one thing that I did do today was reinforce the top opening with a hazel loop.
Would us it off the ground but the folk I will be taking wanted me to use a tent, I think they want to be totally enclosed.

Frogo

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
ya got any pics frogo ?

without knowing a little more about how your shelter is pitched it is kinda difficult to make suggestions

a slightly hotter (dryer wood mebbe?) fire might get ya a better draw

Tant

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Something I never do when out, take pics, I try just to stick with what I’m going to use.
OK the wood is either Beech or Birch and maybe a little Sycamore, I always break it down into sticks, don’t burn logs in the chute as they are usually damp on the outer, causing excessive amounts of smoke.
The chute is pitched as a tepee.

Frogo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE