Over wintered onions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
2y6u8y9a.jpg

What've I done wrong now BR???
When I planted them out in the autumn I had advised e to leave the top over the bulb just sticking out over the soil??
I've only planted onions once before and I put them much deeper?
Anyhoo I guess it will eat alright just not much bulb on them....🚮

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry should check posts!! I meant to say the top of the bulbs just sticking out of the soil....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
mine are better but not fully bulbed yet. Red onions are always tricky. When did you plant them?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Basically your onions have bolted.

Over wintered onions have a high risk of bolting, what you need to do is cut off the bolting flower head the moment you stop it, then the onion will go on to build it's bulb and everything will be happy.

Looking at the bulbs you have there, they are nowhere near ready. Chop the bolted head off, and stick em back in the ground.

J

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok sorted. ... I've been wondering if you should stop the onion flowering as it would put it's goodness into the seeds rather than the bulb...... took all seed pods off and replanted the ones I pulled up.. well see what happens😨

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
This is the big issue with over wintered onions. I assume these were grown from sets? You may want to try over wintering onions started from seeds, they are slightly more resistant to bolting.

J

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That said, my seed started ones all bolted this year - too warm too soon!

Hadn't thought to say about removing flower stalks - good catch QG

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Overwintering onions requires the right climate. In the UK, we really are too warm, especially down here in Kent. In the Netherlands when I had an allotment there, we overwintered onions beautifully. You never realise how much you appreciate the gulf stream until you spend a while just across the water in the BeNeLux...

My approach these days is to start off onion from seed, usually around 1st of February, I go for varieties that have good keeping qualities. I plant them out, what ever the weather, without any hardening off, when they are around 6" tall. Drop them in a hole that is about 1½" deep, and firm them in well. At this time of year pigeons love to pull em out. Deep hole makes it harder. Water, and wait.

Usually they are ready to harvest in July, and if stored well will keep through the winter.

J

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We're cooler here - I over winter with great success normally. That said it was too mild this winter so the normal dormancy didn't really occur leading to bolting - that is true across all the alliums though from shallots to garlic

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok guys thanks for the advice.
I haven't over wintered onions
before so this was new to me.
If they are trying to flower is that game over? Will they bulb up still or have they done themselves in?! As said I've removed the seed pods.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mine have all tried to flower Dave - I have pinched out the flowers. They have formed bulbs but they aren't a patch on last years onions (which were also over wintered). The garlic is awesome though - and the shallots rubbish. Not a good year for alliums :(

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok Hugh ill see what happens.
It's all good stuff really , if not a little disappointing. .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE