One pot recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest, one pot meals (hereafter known as OPMs) should be at the core or all camp cooking, something all of us should know.

Perhaps one of the simplest and best known

CORNED BEEF STEW

Can't get much simpler, dice up veg of choice including spuds, boil in just enough water to cover, when almost tender add the corned beef (diced) and simmer until the meat dissolves. Eat as is or thicken (1 or 2 Oxtail cup a soups do the job). Knorr beef stock cube is nice added too.

To make it lighter use veg you have dehydrated at home, onions, carrots, sliced green beans, sweet corn and peppers, soak for a couple of hours first before you start cooking and add pasta of choice instead of spuds. To really save on weight use dried minced beef instead of corned beef.

Even when backpacking its worth carrying a couple of herbs and stock cubes with you.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
shot in a pot reciepe

carrots
spuds
celary
garlic
turnip
beef
bacon
rosemary
corianda
a bottle of red wine

chop veg smallish shot it in with stewing beef and chopped bacon and then add the bottle of wine and herbs and cook for three hours and bobs ur uncle

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
When we're going very lightweight one of the things we knock up is beanfeast and coscous (the other halfs veggie) just make the beanfeast a bit runnier that it says and when finished tip in the a packet of couscous to soak up the excess. Its filling, pretty tasty and a damn site cheaper that some of the expedition meals.....its a bit windy though so better if your sleeping in a hammock rather than a tent :)

or if weight isn't a priority i would go with a simple stew/broth with veggies of your choice, stock, and meat (i like putting a bit of peal barley as well and a bit of harissa) i think anything goes really..

One of the best/most memorable meals we've had out'n'about was a curry we made but threw in a few handfulls of ransomes. really good and made our moths tingle..we will be doing this again in spring!!!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
one tin of Curry + one bag of microwavable rice. - not posh but it does the job on a cold night! :D

I got a remoska some years back and it is almost exclusively one pot recipes! - http://www.lakeland.co.uk/remoska/F/product/2511?src=gpelc&sq=remoska
Not something you can use in the field but the recipes would still work - I can post up a few as I've got the book right here should some one want a few.

Andy

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Get a bag of vegetable flavour noodles. Before you open them gently scrunch up the slabs of noodles in the bag so you have something like pasta 100s & 1000s.
Put ½pint of cold water in pot and add, finely chopped, a small onion, a clove of garlic and Lidl mini- salami (c.£1.85 for 10). Also add the noodle flavourings and bring water to the boil. When boiling, add the noodles, reduce the heat and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes. The noodles should soak up about two thirds of the water. Turn off the heat and stir in a minestrone cup-a-soup.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
when i used to go camping as a kid my main meal was always the same, a couple of tins of beans with a tin of corned beef chopped up and thrown in, then the whole lot just warmed through together. my camp cooking is a smidgeon more advanced these days but corned beef and beans is still one of my favourites, although i do tend to add a healthy spoon of chilli powder now.

more or less anything curry wise can be done in one pot, and if your one pot is something like a dutch oven then the world's your oyster, there's very little that you can't tackle.

camp cook forum is a great resource for recipes and techniques, you'll find a couple of folk from here on there too.

stuart

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
jamacian curry pot ! (BEWARNED HOT ! HOT ! HOT !)

1 pound shin of beef or leg of lamb cut into 2 inch chunks.
1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger.
6 cloves of garlic crushed.
2 scotch bonnet chillies or fatalli chillies , 1 chopped and the other left whole.
1 teaspoon of ground allspice.
2 tablespoons of dried thyme of mixed dried herbs (fresh thyme is better if you have any !)
4 tablespoons of madras curry powder or any other hot curry powder.
2 large onions chopped into 1 inch chunks.
2 tablespoons of veg oil.
2 large carrots quartered lengthways and cut into 1 cm chuncks.
1 tin of coconut milk.

1. mix together garlic,ginger,allspice,dried herbs,curry powder,scotch bonnet only the diced up one ! and veg oil.
2. cover the meat chunks with the above spice mix and leave for as long as possible anywhere up to 24 hours.
3. heat enough veg oil in your pan or dutchie to cover the bottom of it, when hot add the chunks of onions and carrots fry them off gently untill the onions turn golden ,take out the veg mix and then fry off your meat chuncks until seared dark brown.
4. re-add the veg chunks to the meat and add the can off coconut milk and three quarters of a can full of water, put in the whole scotch bonnet chilli , bring to the boil cover and simmer for 2 hours , then serve with rice and have some milk or yoghurt handy in case of hotness, lol, ps you'll find that you will feel its hotness again in 8-12 hours ! lol.

Last edited:

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
Kedgeree type thing ( great for breakfast )

Cook some rice
Add 1-2 eggs ( either fresh carried in a strong egg box taped and zip bagged , or pre-broken/mixed and frozen in a container taped and zip bagged )
Add Curry powder ( you could have already added this to premixed egg )
Add tin of your choice of filleted fish ( Aldi/Lidl carry a decent range of flavours )

A decent filling meal that's a bit lighter on the stomach than a stew .
Cheers , Trev .

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Add tin of your choice of filleted fish ( Aldi/Lidl carry a decent range of flavours )

Vacuum-packed smoked mackerel or kippers or (for a treat) smoked salmon trimmings, all travel reasonably well and are divine mashed into eggs/rice/pasta.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Vacuum-packed smoked mackerel or kippers or (for a treat) smoked salmon trimmings, all travel reasonably well and are divine mashed into eggs/rice/pasta.

Very good call . The only reason I've used tins is down to the amount of fish needed and the built in sauce flavours ( cooking for 1-4 ) for a fairly light meal . Cooking for 4+ or if you like your Kedge fish heavy then vacuuum packed is the way to go I guess .
That and price/storage , I can keep a few tins out of the way in the cupboard to grab and go . Fridge space is at a premium at our house .
Cheers , Trev .

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
jamacian curry pot ! (BEWARNED HOT ! HOT ! HOT !)

1 pound shin of beef or leg of lamb cut into 2 inch chunks.
1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger.
6 cloves of garlic crushed.
2 scotch bonnet chillies or fatalli chillies , 1 chopped and the other left whole.
1 teaspoon of ground allspice.
2 tablespoons of dried thyme of mixed dried herbs (fresh thyme is better if you have any !)
4 tablespoons of madras curry powder or any other hot curry powder.
2 large onions chopped into 1 inch chunks.
2 tablespoons of veg oil.
2 large carrots quartered lengthways and cut into 1 cm chuncks.
1 tin of coconut milk.

1. mix together garlic,ginger,allspice,dried herbs,curry powder,scotch bonnet only the diced up one ! and veg oil.
2. cover the meat chunks with the above spice mix and leave for as long as possible anywhere up to 24 hours.
3. heat enough veg oil in your pan or dutchie to cover the bottom of it, when hot add the chunks of onions and carrots fry them off gently untill the onions turn golden ,take out the veg mix and then fry off your meat chuncks until seared dark brown.
4. re-add the veg chunks to the meat and add the can off coconut milk and three quarters of a can full of water, put in the whole scotch bonnet chilli , bring to the boil cover and simmer for 2 hours , then serve with rice and have some milk or yoghurt handy in case of hotness, lol, ps you'll find that you will feel its hotness again in 8-12 hours ! lol.

Also for all you veggies out there instead of meat you could use big chunks of butternut squash or pumpkin and just cook for 1 hour and serve with rice n peas (kidney beans) cooked in coconut milk !

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Just made this, as the thread made me hungry !

Half can of corned beef
Can of chilli beans
Pinch of Cayanne pepper
Pinch of mixed herds
Lots of pasta tubes

Boil up the pasta untill soft, then put on/in plate or bowl and cover

Add beans to pan, chop up corned beef into small chunks, lob in with the beans, add the spices, heat untill a nice gloop, spoon over pasta and enjoy :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
This is a very good little book with some real good recipes.

or you could try a simple Korean stew:

1 tin of spam cubed

4 frankfurters sliced

1 pack of instant noodles

1 tbsp red chilli paste

Optional:

minced garlic

chilli peppers

mushrooms

etc

Add enough water to cover the ingredients and simmer for about 10 mins

Don't forget for a Korean stew, you need at least one piece of dog.

Rob

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
I used to , now I go to Cov market and buy 50 for a quid and dehydrate them .
Cheers , Trev .
aye ! its the other way around with me, i buy the chillies from tesco's dry the seeds plant them early on in the year harvest them july onwards take out the seeds , save em for next year and dehydrate the chillies. lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE