On the pursuit of the self reliant baked bean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have done well growing beans here. Field Beans and "Trail of Tears" have been successful.

Field Beans by British Red, on Flickr

Trail of Tears Beans TRipening by British Red, on Flickr

Both are good fresh - but that does not help us over Winter unless we freeze them

We have converted them to baked beans....

Home Made baked beans by British Red, on Flickr

But the flavour and texture of the bean was not quite right. So the search is on to find a high yielding, easy to dry, flavourful bean.

Today I shelled the beans I harvested from the test bed. We tried 50 sq feet of three varieties this year;

Cannellini / Haricot (white small beans as in "Heinz baked beans",

Cannellini Haricot Beans by British Red, on Flickr

Dutch Brown Beans (small light brown beans, not grown in this country)

Dutch Brown Beans by British Red, on Flickr

Soya Beans (attractive to BB because of their high protein content)

Soybeans Soya Bean by British Red, on Flickr

I had to import small quantities of seed stock (open pollinated, non GM) for each variety.

I suspect the soya is delicious. The cotton tailed bandits certainly thought so. They destroyed the entire crop in 24 hours. I did still manage to get a decent amount of protein of course - although it tasted like.....rabbit! :evil:

So...soya beans seem to be attractive to vermin...not a good start. We will rule them out till next year when we will try them again. I they are destroyed a second time they will prove themselves too vulnerable for this site.

This left us with two varieties - the Dutch Brown and Cannellini / Haricot. The harvested pods were set to dry on wire racks on the greenhouse

Bean Seed Saving by British Red, on Flickr

When dry they were shelled

Bean harvest - Haricot and Dutch Brown by British Red, on Flickr

We weighed the beans and got

Weighing Dutch Brown Beans by British Red, on Flickr

Haricot Beans 1156g
Dutch Brown Beans 2482g

We also weighed 100 beans to work out an approximate number of beans

Haricot Beans =70g per 100 beans - a total of 1651 beans.
Dutch Brown Beans 58g per 100 beans - a total of 4279 beans.

Now the planting spacing of these beans is in rows about a foot apart (so we had four rows) and at an interval of 4" (three beans per foot).

We had allocated 50 square foot per variety. This gave us four rows, each 12.5 foot long. That means we originally planted 150 beans in 50 square feet (3 per square foot).

So our increase was:

Haricot - approximately an 11 fold increase in numbers of beans
Dutch Brown - approximately 28 old increase in numbers of beans.

I am always interested to know how many I would need to grow for full on self sufficiency.

Lets look to a post made on another forum a while ago

Chiron said:
A great deal of the work has already been done by the emergency relief agencies;

http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/en/nut_needs_emergencies_text.pdf

The Mormons, LDS, have their basic storage list (Grains, pulses, dried milk, oil, salt and sugar/honey etc).

http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

From the above you get the following for an adult for 1 year/1month:

Grains 300lbs/25lbs 136.4kg/11.4kg
Fats/Oils 13lbs/1.1lbs 5.9kg/0.49kg (On average a litre of oil weighs 800g)
Legumes 60lbs/5lbs 27.3kg/2.3kg
Sugar 60lbs/5lbs 27.3kg/2.3kg
Milk 75lbs/6.25lbs 34.1kg/2.8kg
Salt 5lbs/0.42lbs 2.3kg/0.19kg

So we know we need 28 to 30 kilos (allowing for saving next years seed) of beans, per person, per year.

With Haricot we get 1156g in 50 square feet.

That is 23g per square foot.

To get 30,000g we need 1300 square feet. 1300 square feet would also require 3900 seed beans. At 70g per 100 beans that is an additional 2,730g for the next years seed - this equates to another 120 square feet.

So to grow a man year of Haricot beans, we need 3kg of seed and roughly 1500 square feet.

With Dutch Brown we get 2482g in 50 square feet.

That is 50g per square foot.

To get 30,000g we need 600 square feet. 600 square feet would require 1044g of seed - another 25 square feet.

So to grow a man year of Dutch Brown beans, we need 1kg of seed and roughly 650 square feet.

The next step in this experiment will be to cook up quantities of both bean types and to see how they taste.

High yield is great - but not if they are inedible :)

I figure if they make a good "baked bean" they will be fine in chilli etc. So baked beans will be the "control recipe". I'll post results i there is interest?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes please! there's certainly interest from this direction; I find this utterly fascinating and very useful to know. It's rare to get such detailed and methodical research for the duration of such projects and I for one find it invaluable. :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Yes please! there's certainly interest from this direction; I find this utterly fascinating and very useful to know. It's rare to get such detailed and methodical research for the duration of such projects and I for one find it invaluable. :)

What he said! :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm interested too! Looking forward to the seasonal seed sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll hopefully have some seeds up in two to three weeks.

I'll be doing a few packets of these two unusual beans. I had to import and "nurse" the original seed as I could not find any at all in the UK. It would be nice to give others the chance to try growing them. I won't sell many this time though as the intention was to provide myself with a decent stock for future years. There will be "Tender and True" parsnips too and some "Kelvedon Wonder" peas. Yacon and Oca will follow in December.

My Oca is insane this year :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
looking forward to your report on taste ?

Me too - I'm going to prepare from dried as this is how I want to store them. I will make one large batch of Heinz type sauce and divide it between the two types of bean so that the only variable is the bean :)

It'll be a 24 hour job what with soaking the dried beans - but interesting:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Trail of Tears are an entirely different bean Joab - ToT are the purple pods at the top of the first post. They produce a dark bean like a small kidney bean

I have not been growing them lately because they are a climbing bean (like a French bean) and Its very windy here which tends to damage them. Both the Haricot and Dutch Brown are self supporting bush beans, which fare better here.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Have you thought of Pinto Beans? What about Red Beans? Kidney beans? These are the best tasting beans I know of (in chili, red beans & rice, or just boiled with a ham hock or hog jowl) I've never heard of them being baked but I suppose it's possible. TBH the only beans I've ever seen baked are white beans (Navy Beans or Great Northerns)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'll post results i there is interest?

Always ~ our postage stamp isn't anyway near big enough to actually grow a crop but I'm interested in seeing the process :D :eek:

One of my favourite dishes involves cannellini beans ... :bigok: :approve:

My Oca is insane this year :)

I've not grown it before but I think mine's trying to migrate ... :yikes ... just need the frost and a fortnight now! :rofl:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have you thought of Pinto Beans? What about Red Beans? Kidney beans? These are the best tasting beans I know of (in chili, red beans & rice, or just boiled with a ham hock or hog jowl) I've never heard of them being baked but I suppose it's possible. TBH the only beans I've ever seen baked are white beans (Navy Beans or Great Northerns)

Trying to get decent, open pollinated, organic, Non-GM seeds is the challenge for some of those. Taking soya as an example, it was very difficult to find certified GM free seed stocks.

Navy beans and Cannelini / Haricot are as I understand it pretty much the same thing :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Trying to get decent, open pollinated, organic, Non-GM seeds is the challenge for some of those. Taking soya as an example, it was very difficult to find certified GM free seed stocks.

Navy beans and Cannelini / Haricot are as I understand it pretty much the same thing :)

Ahhh. That makes sense.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Could you put me on the list for beans and yakon please? Are the haricot beans the trail of tears beans? Cheers Joab

Ah, I see. Looking forward to the outcome of the taste test! Where I garden is in an open space on top of a hill so something self supporting and sturdy would be excellent. I only grow non gm stuff now, I'm quite lucky in that I only live down the road from garden organic- great place for some seeds and ideas.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Looking forward to seeing which you prefer; personally I have never knowingly tried brown bean, so will be interesting to see what they are like.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yet another superb and enthralling thread by Sir Red.....had to comment on this one in particular because i reckon i've eaten more beans on toast than any other human ever....lolol.....pound for pound, my favourite meal.

looking forward to the results....any chance i can buy a finished plateful from you please?

regards,

s

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE