....on licking the bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just finished the last batch of Jul cakes. I only do 4 at a time...even with my monster mixing bowls and spoons thats my limit.

On my own today so I get to lick all the bowls :cool:

My mates kid had never licked cake mix out of a bowl. Is that child abuse?:confused:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes, it is!............The tradition when I was a kid was that the eldest got first go, then down through the ranks, and the onlookers would chant "yum yum pig's bum, wrapped up in chewing gum", and if you still had your finger in the bowl at the end of that phrase you got a drubbing from your siblings..................................

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm still here Stew! The eggs I use were up a chicken two hours before I cracked them and they have never made me ill yet. I like my fried eggs nice and runny too :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
On a really cold and damp morning, if I'm off and out before daylight I'm very fond of a couple of raw eggs lightly stirred in a glass with a little white pepper and a small shot of a good dry sherry, then down in one.

Then stop somewhere a couple of hours later and cook the bacon and bannock :) Happy days!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My middle daughter started helping her mum early on (she's now ten) she now goes into the kitchen herself to knock up a batch of cakes only simple stuff but she enjoys it, only down side is i have to clean up the flour that she's missed(which tends to be alot).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I gave up licking the bowl when I grew my beard ... now I just scrape it out with my well licked finger!
It IS Child Abuse not to let em lick the bowl (Safeguarding Young People page 50,001 section A subsection iii clause 15b line 5002) I know - I just did my training for the 47th time!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My middle daughter started helping her mum early on (she's now ten) she now goes into the kitchen herself to knock up a batch of cakes only simple stuff but she enjoys it, only down side is i have to clean up the flour that she's missed(which tends to be alot).

It'll be worth it later - my daughter always bakes for me when she comes home or a visit - and she is a fantastic baker - far better than I am. Artistic too - I love her icecream cakes

Sams Cakes by British Red, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE