Oiling a blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, when oiling a blade for storage, if the blade is coated black (mines a kabar) do you only need to oil the expose part of the blade edge rather than the entire blade? Cheers

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Yes, I think only the exposed steel is prone to rusting. The coating should protect it better than oil until you wear areas of the coating away, then it will probably be easier just to oil the whole blade.

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
It depends on the coating, if it is phosphating or parkerising (as some K bars are), then it should be oiled. If it is powder coated (as some K bars are), then oil wont make any difference to the coated areas.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
For long-term storage, I prefer wax over oil any day of the week. Oil will run and soak into whatever's around the blade, and then it's not there to protect the blade. For best effect, I use kiwi-brand shoe polish and have never had a problem with rust on the blades. Even when out and about, the shoe polish gets smeared onto the inner surface of the sheath (leather for me!) and helps to waterproof it. It's a win-win situation for dirt cheap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE