Odd question: how big is a shoulder...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Hi guys, a leather question if you will.

Noticed Tandy have a special on for single purchase shoulders at around £35. Question is, how big, in square footage is a shoulder? Hope this isn't a how long is a piece of string type question!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thats bloomin good price dude, compare it with another site and its £5-6 a sqr foot, i think they are around 10-12 foot sqr but could be a bit less mate....

rough guess though....:)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
a shoulder is any from 12-16 sqft if not just a smiggen larger sometimes

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well worth a punt mate, and having just been given some leather tools i just wish i had some money spare....:(

best of luck with it old son...;)

regards.

chris.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi guys, a leather question if you will.

Noticed Tandy have a special on for single purchase shoulders at around £35. Question is, how big, in square footage is a shoulder? Hope this isn't a how long is a piece of string type question!

I take it that you're refering to item # 99606-03? If so, according to the Tandy catalogue, they average 6 to 8 sq ft.

EDIT: It should be noted that the special offer is for a single shoulder and not a double shoulder.

EDIT (part 2) ~ tandy's guide to hide parts
Leather-Craft-ABC-Hide-Subdivisions.jpg-x

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
EDIT: Also, I forgot I had a tandy catalogue in the drawer. So I could have looked :embarrassed:

Still a good deal though!

It depend's whether you have the 2012 catalogue ;) ~ it's a good price and Tandy haven't previously done a dedicated item of this weight in single shoulder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE