Now THAT'S a steak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rump steak by British Red, on Flickr

Inch and a half thick, over a kilo in weight, longhorn beef from an multi award winning butcher

longhornsPicsArt_1394400676880.jpg

If you don't have a really GREAT butcher in your area, give these guys a try

http://www.meridianmeatsshop.co.uk/

They deliver very cheaply all over the country and the meat is amazing.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Wow! That's a big 'un! I can't eat steak anymore- plays havoc with my digestion. Used to be fine but I can't have it now, not fried and whole anyway- even small ones. Having said that a stew with that bad boy would be lovely :).

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You should try their bacon. Completely dry cured. I like their middle back, oak smoked, dry cure, Gloucester Old Spot. Very lean, no brine dripping out, lovely smoky flavour.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rump steak by British Red, on Flickr

Inch and a half thick, over a kilo in weight, longhorn beef from an multi award winning butcher

longhornsPicsArt_1394400676880.jpg

If you don't have a really GREAT butcher in your area, give these guys a try

http://www.meridianmeatsshop.co.uk/

They deliver very cheaply all over the country and the meat is amazing.

Nice looking steak. Do you know what cut it is? The pix of the cattle are also interesting. I've never seen the horns of Longhorns turn forward or in like on those. Are they crossed with another breed?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You should try their bacon. Completely dry cured. I like their middle back, oak smoked, dry cure, Gloucester Old Spot. Very lean, no brine dripping out, lovely smoky flavour.

Corrr Glouster old spot sounds the works- I love a good bacon butty! :D

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Cameron my lad, if you put a steak like that into a stew I'll be up there with a big stick!!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice looking steak. Do you know what cut it is? The pix of the cattle are also interesting. I've never seen the horns of Longhorns turn forward or in like on those. Are they crossed with another breed?

Thats a rump steak - cut in front of my eyes :)

Those are the original long horned cattle - thats how they looked long before they crossed the pond :). Pretty beasts I think.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats a rump steak - cut in front of my eyes :)

Those are the original long horned cattle - thats how they looked long before they crossed the pond :). Pretty beasts I think.

Oh yes; They are good looking. So those are the original Spanish Longhorns then?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yes; They are good looking. So those are the original Spanish Longhorns then?

Nope, different breed - very old indeed. The Spanish longhorns are (to my mind) an inferior breed.

There are a few English longhorns in the US - but it is just a few.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is a serious piece of meat. I've not tried British Longhorn, being a huge fan of Welsh Black steaks, although I have recently had some North Devon Red that was very good too.

For pork, Old Spot has a unique flavour, rather earthy and rich. I'm a Tamworth man myself. The flavours of the different pork breeds are quite distinct.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For pork, Old Spot has a unique flavour, rather earthy and rich. I'm a Tamworth man myself. The flavours of the different pork breeds are quite distinct.

And there is the thing. My "butchers test" is to say "what breed is this bacon from?". If they cannot answer the question, I leave.

I simply do not understand why people buy that brine injected anonymous Europork?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
And there is the thing. My "butchers test" is to say "what breed is this bacon from?". If they cannot answer the question, I leave.

I simply do not understand why people buy that brine injected anonymous Europork?

I get mine direct from the breeder usually. Rare breed pork, beef and mutton. I hardly ever buy lamb.

Great test for an unknown butcher though. I approve wholeheartedly.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The other good butcher test is to do what Red did at the start - get the piece cut for you.

I don't want it cut up ready and then be persuaded to buy a piece of meat. I want to decide what I want for myself, and have it cut the way I want it. That is supposed to be what butchers do. Know their meat, its provenance, and how best to cut it. I'm happy to be guided if I think the butcher knows what he or she is doing.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Here about 99% of the beef sold is just 'beef', and the only type that is differentiated is 'Angus', which is more expensive. At specialty food stores and some specialty butcher shops you can get grass fed beef, and sometimes bison. Pork, 99% of the time is generically just 'pork', but odds are high it comes from what is probably the most common breed of pig grown in massive quantities in the USA which is the Yorkshire.

Americans like their meat grown in large quantities, factory style (the US food industry butchers about 1 million animals per day), processed factory style in mass quantities, and sold as cheaply as possible at a huge retail chains. Taste? That is what ketchup, hot sauce, and barbecue sauce is for in the view of most people here.

At least the food industry here agree to (mostly) quit using what is known as 'pink slime' in the ground beef at fast food outlets and some of the large retail grocery stores, after it finally got some publicity. Pink slime is where they use ammonia based chemicals to strip the last vestige of meat from the bones producing a pinkish meat slurry, then supplement their ground beef with it, adding bulk and increasing profits.

Real butcher shops are something of a specialty, but Texas still tends to have quite a few, especially in hunting and cattle country.

When I can, I make arrangements with a local farmer to buy a grass fed cow, which I'll then have processed at the local butcher shop. I try telling people that grass fed beef tastes better and is better for you (different balance of Omega fatty acids) but few listen until they taste it for themselves. Cows are meant to eat grass, not grain, and pretty much all beef sold here spends time at a feedlot, being fed huge amounts of grain, packing on weight before slaughter.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here about 99% of the beef sold is just 'beef', and the only type that is differentiated is 'Angus', which is more expensive. At specialty food stores and some specialty butcher shops you can get grass fed beef, and sometimes bison. Pork, 99% of the time is generically just 'pork', but odds are high it comes from what is probably the most common breed of pig grown in massive quantities in the USA which is the Yorkshire.

Americans like their meat grown in large quantities, factory style (the US food industry butchers about 1 million animals per day), processed factory style in mass quantities, and sold as cheaply as possible at a huge retail chains. Taste? That is what ketchup, hot sauce, and barbecue sauce is for in the view of most people here.

At least the food industry here agree to (mostly) quit using what is known as 'pink slime' in the ground beef at fast food outlets and some of the large retail grocery stores, after it finally got some publicity. Pink slime is where they use ammonia based chemicals to strip the last vestige of meat from the bones producing a pinkish meat slurry, then supplement their ground beef with it, adding bulk and increasing profits.

Real butcher shops are something of a specialty, but Texas still tends to have quite a few, especially in hunting and cattle country.

When I can, I make arrangements with a local farmer to buy a grass fed cow, which I'll then have processed at the local butcher shop. I try telling people that grass fed beef tastes better and is better for you (different balance of Omega fatty acids) but few listen until they taste it for themselves. Cows are meant to eat grass, not grain, and pretty much all beef sold here spends time at a feedlot, being fed huge amounts of grain, packing on weight before slaughter.

Wow -how very strange that seems - almost all our beef here is grass fed. My neighbour and friend raises "salt grazed" cattle - they graze for miles and feed on sea grass, samphire a wild flowers

Normans Cattle by British Red, on Flickr

Wonderful taste, very lean and well muscled - needs to be properly dry hung for at least three weeks, but it has an inspired taste. Normally we go for these for our beef, but we also like Lincolnshire Reds (our local breed) and of course the longhorns.

COWS_01.jpg

These are the pigs we were talking about

Gloucester Old Spot

8132720776_d0bf5f8ae2_z.jpg

and Tamworth

6017542811_d1c122e816_z.jpg

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Be glad you don't have to deal with a market that is mostly feedlot beef. It's not as healthy as grass fed beef and compared to grass fed beef, it's rather tasteless. Grass fed beef is as healthy as bison to eat (cuts of grass fed bison meat are expensive, but I like it).

A lot of the reason our food industry is the way it is, mass produced, industrial factory style, has a lot to do with WWII. America wound up feeding all of it's own people, a 10 million man military, a large percentage of the troops and civilians of it's allies, the populations of liberated countries, and eventually the conquered Axis countries. They got really good at producing an enormous amount of food fast and economically. The mainstream American food industry, for the most part, just stayed that way after the war.

There isn't a lot of domestic pork grown locally here, so about the closest I come to specialty pork is when I shoot a feral hog. They are epidemic here and as long as you have a general hunting license in Texas, you can shoot an unlimited number 24/7/365. As many as you can kill, you can keep. No tags required.

Sometimes I don't have to shoot them myself. I have a friend who has a contract to keep the local airport clear of feral hogs, so sometimes I'll get a call at 2am. Otherwise he just deposits them at the county landfill for burial with the rest of the trash.

The feral hogs here are a mix of domestic hogs originally brought over by English, German, French, and Spanish settlers. In the 19th Century wild boars from Germany were released into the countryside, and they then mixed in with the feral hog population. In the early 20th Century they did the same with the Russian wild boar. So, the feral hogs here are a mix of all of that.

Some of them get big. I saw one dead alongside the road a few months ago on my way back from Victoria and from a distance it looked initially like a cow had gotten hit. As I got closer I noticed the odd shaped head for a cow and the stubbier legs. He was pretty bloated from being dead. I should have stopped and took a photo but I was in a hurry. You don't normally find them that large, but it does happen occasionally. They can get mean sometimes. One nickname for the American feral hog is the "poor man's grizzly".

I'm not normally too picky on the cows I buy as per breed when I'm shopping for one for the freezer. Because of the somewhat wet, bug infested, semi-tropical climate, I'm primarily concerned as to how healthy the cow is first and foremost. I typically wind up buying a Hereford or an Angus. The Coastal Bend area of Texas (the region which the city of Corpus Christi is in, the easiest way to locate the area on the map) is right at about the same latitude as central Florida, which is about the same latitude as the Canary Islands, central Algeria, and Delhi, India. So the climate is somewhat warm much of the year, and being near sea level, close to the ocean on land that can get swampy at times, disease and parasites can be a concern with both livestock and wild game.

Most of the cows available from the local farmers are Herefords and Angus, which are pretty much the most common breeds of beef cattle in the USA, plus a number of local farmers grow Brahmans, which evidently do well in the local climate.

According to the numbers I have seen, Angus is actually the #1 most common breed of beef cattle in the USA, making up about 60% of the US cattle herd. It was first brought over from Scotland in 1873. The Hereford was first brought over from Herefordshire, England in 1817.

The American Brahman is the first cattle breed that was developed solely in the USA. It's a mix of four different Indian cattle breeds: Gyr, Gujarat, Nelore, and Krishna Valley. They are known for being heat tolerant and having thick hides that resists insects.

Oddly, you don't see too many of the iconic Texas Longhorn cattle locally. They are the direct descendants from the first cattle brought into the New World by the Spanish, shortly after their conquest of Mexico. They are a mix of three different cattle breeds from Spain that mixed together in Spanish Colonial America and adapted to the harsh, dry climate of the interior.

Hereford.jpg

Hereford

Brahman.jpg

American Brahman

Angus.jpg

Angus

W_2943_500.jpg

Texas Longhorn

This is a typical American feedlot. The vast majority of cattle intended for slaughter and meat production in the USA come from places like this. The cows cannot move around much and a truck periodically passes down the endless feed trough, filling it with a feed mix made mostly of grain. They have to give the cows a lot of antibiotics due to the naturally unhealthy nature of the feedlot. As you can see, they are living on ground that is almost totally covered in a layer of their own manure turned into muck with their urine. The inactivity plus the grain diet causes the cows to pack on a lot of weight, increasing their value on the market. The grain diet changes the nutritional quality, taste, and fat distribution in the meat, and not for the better.

Feedlot.jpg

A typical American feedlot is rather large. The 'pond' which is partially visible to the left is a lake of urine and manure run off from the feedlot. These waste ponds next to feedlots and the larger indoor mass pig growing operations can sometimes be up to square mile in size (about 259 hectares).

feedlot-layout.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....When I can, I make arrangements with a local farmer to buy a grass fed cow, which I'll then have processed at the local butcher shop. I try telling people that grass fed beef tastes better and is better for you (different balance of Omega fatty acids) but few listen until they taste it for themselves. Cows are meant to eat grass, not grain, and pretty much all beef sold here spends time at a feedlot, being fed huge amounts of grain, packing on weight before slaughter.

You're partly right. Beef here usually spends a few weeks in a feedlot being fed grain before slaughter. But it's not to put on weight; it's to purge put the gamey taste from the grass.
If the ad campaign is successful then obviously the next generation will prefer grass fed beef. Milk from grass fed dairy cattle on the other hand, well, that will take more time.

You ask "Why does grass fed beef taste 'gamey'?" Or you might say that it doesn't in the UK. The answer is that UK pastures are better controlled of weeds and specific grasses whereas US pastures aren't always pastures at all. Some are, but others are simply open range, or semi wild pastures, with whatever wild grass and weeds that happen to be growing there. Thus the taste is different on each individual cow. Purging that in the feedlots gives a more uniform taste as opposed to the often bitter grass taste. The higher priced grass fed beef being pushed here at the moment comes from highly manicured pastures and is usually far from "healthy" as those pastures are also highly dependent on chemical fertilizers and weed killing herbicides.

Yes. There is currently a move to make grass fed the more expensive here now. But it's entirely an advertising campaign to create the market where none was before; like the one that's made Angus the more expensive over tastier Hereford (it's cheaper to raise Angus as they have a lower calving mortality rate than purebred Hereford)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE