Newfangled camping bed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I recently told my Grandma that I was getting back into the outdoors, when I went to visit her today she told me that she had found a camping bed that I could have.

20170401_205932_zpsijnbejjj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Turns out that it was her fathers, my great grandad.

This is her using it in 1941. It made me smile so I thought that I would share.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, they are the mutts nuts.

And I imagine a wooden one would creak a lot less than my ali.

Have you the end bars?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There were 4 of those bed things, a picnic table and 2 smallish folding camp stools. I would never be able to camp far from the car.
Everything weighted a huge amount, unlike yours. Any thoughts on the kind of wood?
Ours were likely birch. I still have one of the little folding stools. I'd like that tent.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I dont think I will be using this one. Though I might find another one or try to make [more likely commision] a copy to actually use.

A bamboo or carbon fibre one could be strong and very light... Though carbon could be overkill

Last edited:

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Thanks, I will have a look and probably get one. Still I might have a crack at making one just for fun. A quick look on a wood database makes me think that Sitka Spruce or White Cedar could make a stong and light bed.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Love the saw! My grandfather's family came from north parts of Michigan, logging was the family business. Back then those saws and bigger were the tools of the trade. Tough work i reckon.

Unfortunately my family only got into camping with my parent's generation so the oldest kit owned was a leather and canvas frame rucksack from the 60s. Long since binned.

Have fun making a replica. At least you have the template to work from. As for the tent, i bet if you had enough photographs you could find someone to make a replica. It'll be a fairly standard design I reckon.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
It's an older version of the US Army bed used on the TV comedy series M.A.S.H.
It's quite interesing to see that in hospitals the beds were identical, but had add on poles and gadgets for things like medical details mozi net, and I.V. fluids.

I have a US army Manual that describes the Army issue bed as:

Canvas cot and insect bar frame
(it has four uprights going from the corner feet through the canvas and meeting a cross bar each end making a "goalpost" each end)
funny thing is...The cot insect net which is box shaped is also designed to fit exactly into the US Army Shelter half "pup tent" as an insect net, which was an elongated square sided Diamond shape, as shown below, don't know how it worked but that was the design!

post-5-1253234915.jpg

post-5-1253234922.jpg

Heres some more info on the stock numbers and associated kit amazing what Web searches come up with ;)
post-5-1253234685.jpg

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
If you're stick for Beech wood you could try Ash, or hickory, it's often used for tool handles so it's strong and flexible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE