New Year Weight Loss motivation thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I see from the new year resolution thread that there's a few of us planning to shed some kilos in 2012.

The psychologists say that one way to increase motivation and compliance is to tell people what you're going to do - you then feel kind of obliged to follow it through. That's one reason why suicide bombers are encouraged to make a farewell video - it makes it harder for them to back out.

So, on a more positive note, feel free to post progress in weight loss on this thread:

No nasty comments allowed.

You can either put your actual weight down, or simply the amount lost, or your body mass index; whichever you feel more comfortable with. I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow and post my own weight

A few useful hints.

- Weighing yourself regularly has been shown to increase weight loss, probably by the effect on motivation. By regularly I mean once a week - weighing yourself daily gets confusing.

- Drink a glass of water before meals.

- It takes about ten minutes for your brain to realise you've eaten enough. So if you feel hungry after a meal, WAIT for ten minutes before having anything else. By then, you probably won't want it anymore.

- Reading or watching TV while eating makes you eat more. The research proves this.

- 30- 60 minutes of aerobic exercise, five times a week, increases weight loss greatly.

Cheers,

Doc

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
so were going to start tomorrow when is the best time to weigh morning or evening? regards dave:confused:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hi Dave.

Whenever suits, really. The main thing is to get a baseline weight recorded before new year, so that progress can be measured.

A reasonable target is to lose about 1 pound or half a kilo per week. In practice I often find people lose about 2lb in the first week and 1 lb a week thereafter.

Some people might prefer to record weights privately rather than on the thread and that's fine. The idea is just to encourage each other and keep the motivation going.

Best of luck, everybody.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any tips for putting some pounds back on Doc? :) I've lost nearly 1.5 stones since I started having issues with the old thyroid. The Carbimazole has stopped many of the symptoms but the weight isn't going back on at all.

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm around 15.5 stone. Put on a Christmas tub. I'm looking to get down to my bmi for the first time ever (12) but ill see where that goes. 1 step at a time. Exercises of choice - swimming & cycling ( and running if I gety foot sorted)

Sent from my HTC Salsa C510e using Tapatalk

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I'm 18st and 12 llbs !!!!! i cant believe ive gotten so big!

I was 13 and a half stone when i met the Mrs 6 years ago

Mind you i did quit smoking 3 years ago and that really didn't help

Dave

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Im 16stone, bmi of just above 32. Ive been trying to lose weight for a couple of months and have already lost 1st 3lbs. weigh myself on the wii fit balance board, and find it useful for recoding how im doing. Was quite happy not putting any weight on over Christmas.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I am currently 15 stone dead as of tonight, Target is 12 stone, but more importantly to run one and half miles in under 10 minuets comfortably, I currently do it in 10 mins 40, I run 5 nights out of 7 between 2 and 6 miles, varying flat steady state, hill, fartlek, and max effort, circuits after every run following the commando seven work out routine for the circuits,

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Take you height, then get you weight, right it down, and throw it out the window, means nothing!:):p

Very true... have a look at a national rugby squad. I think just about every one of the England squad for the last world cup were catergorized as obese according to the BMI calculators :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE