New FAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As well as my EDC first aid kit, I wanted something a bit more substantial for when on trips further away from help.

My general philosophy behind a First Aid Kit (FAK), is it's there to provide the immediate first aid needed to maintain life until help arrives. I include some items that may be used and then the journey continued on to civilisation (plasters, low adherent dressing (on some wounds)). But in general, if the kit is being opened, I'm coming home, possibly via a Helicopter. The other main design point of my FAK is that it's for me. It's there for me to treat myself. Nearly all my trips are done solo, with the occasional trip done more as multiple solo people in loose formation, rather than as a group.

Unhappy with what is and isn't in Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) FAK's, I decided to put my own together.

I started with an Exped 1L FAK dry bag. I could have used any dry bag I liked, but this one has big friendly FIRST AID markings. It's the lightest first aid dry bag I could find. It's main short coming is that it does't have a belt loop. Lifeventure sell a waterproof FAK that comes in a roll top dry bag with belt loops, but I can't seem to find anyone selling the pouch on it's own. It's a lot to pay not to use the contents.

The pouch as it stands looks like this (click to enlarge):

I stuck a tub of alcohol gel on the outside, tho there is one of these in my loo kit, so I may not carry this at tall times.

So what's in the pouch? (click to enlarge)

The primary contents are a pair [thread=133385]SP Services T4 Trauma dressings[/thread]. These are there to treat most things where there is a lot of blood.

The pack of plasters is there for small cuts, and the standard pack has been augmented by a pack of 5 blister plasters.

The 50mm x 50mm low adherent dressings, along with the micropore are there for treating things that are bigger than need a plaster, but smaller than warrant the big dressings.

The wipes are there for cleaning wounds, the gloves were bought as individual pair packs as that seemed the most logical way of not having them loose in the bag to fall on the ground the moment I open it...

The burn gel is an interesting one, I have mentioned in the past the idea of including burn gel in a FAK, and got the reply "Just use water". There are many burns for which running under the tap for 20 minutes is the right course of action. Thing is, I don't generally have access to enough drinking water to do so properly. Burn gel is also brilliant for treating sunburn.

The biohazard bags are there largely due to habbit, allows me to stick used stuff in them. Also if I need to dress a burn, I can (ab)use an unused one for that.

Finally there is a mini roll of ducttape. If all else fails, ducttape.

Julia

Reactions: MikeTetra

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
Some asprin would be handy for anyone suffering chest pains, can buy them some time. GTN spray is good stuff too, but not generally available and has a short date on it. I'm sure you would be able to improv a tourniquet, but a field tourniquet is small and easy to apply in a panic situation.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
It's a nice comprehensive kit that covers the all the most likely basics. I'd probably add a pair of small tweezers or tick removal tool but that's about it.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Ortlieb have waterproof first aid pouches without contents with belt loops. Though quick look at prices appears more expensive than the Lifeventure with contents.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I'm amazed, this thread went with no replies for over half a year.

Some asprin would be handy for anyone suffering chest pains, can buy them some time. GTN spray is good stuff too, but not generally available and has a short date on it. I'm sure you would be able to improv a tourniquet, but a field tourniquet is small and easy to apply in a panic situation.

Medication is carried separately, and discussed in [thread=127274]this thread[/thread]. It includes Asprin.

It's a nice comprehensive kit that covers the all the most likely basics. I'd probably add a pair of small tweezers or tick removal tool but that's about it.

Tweezers are in my hygiene kit, so not duplicated. Tick removal tool is on the list of things to add Real Soon Now™

Those trauma dressings look fantastic for self treatment. No extra tape or having to apply pressure to worry about as much. Might get some for my chainsaw FAK.

My chainsaw first aid kit contains two of the 6" version. They make cheaper non sterile training version, I recommend getting one to practice with.

Ortlieb have waterproof first aid pouches without contents with belt loops. Though quick look at prices appears more expensive than the Lifeventure with contents.

Aye, and if I recall correctly they are heavier and also Yellow...

J

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I think folk need to distinguish between first aid and the treatment of minor ailments.

--
Gadget.

The objective of bushcraft is to thrive in the natural world using a wide variety of skills and technologies brought together from all over the world and through history.

Most people when carrying a med kit understand the limitations of immediate care. Providing help until an AED and medical professionals arrive. These Big Sick medical emergencies are fortunately rare.

The treatment of minor injuries and ailments however are quite common and require some thought so the best outcome can be achieved. Minor incidents shouldn't necessarily require a trip to be cut short if the first aider on scene has the correct training and equipment to diagnose and treat the condition. On an expedition I maybe several days from help. Treating quite difficult life threatening conditions is something to consider but is a skills set that nit everyone will require.

The best first aid kit in the world is the one you have with you. Too big it's expensive and gets left in the car.

A positive attitude coupled with good training will help you in most circumstances. Equipment is nice to have but never guarantees a patient outcome.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Unhappy with what is and isn't in Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) FAK's, I decided to put my own together. " - not to mention the prices!

Aldi/Lidl offer sensibly-priced alternatives.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The objective of bushcraft is to thrive in the natural world using a wide variety of skills and technologies brought together from all over the world and through history.

Most people when carrying a med kit understand the limitations of immediate care. Providing help until an AED and medical professionals arrive. These Big Sick medical emergencies are fortunately rare.

Aye, chances are if I am opening the big dressings, I'll probably also be reaching for the magic button to summon help.

The treatment of minor injuries and ailments however are quite common and require some thought so the best outcome can be achieved. Minor incidents shouldn't necessarily require a trip to be cut short if the first aider on scene has the correct training and equipment to diagnose and treat the condition. On an expedition I maybe several days from help. Treating quite difficult life threatening conditions is something to consider but is a skills set that nit everyone will require.

Aye, I would be curious as to what sort of minor injuries and ailments you have treated on expeditions. My research suggests that cuts and burns are the most common injuries in a Bushcraft context.

The best first aid kit in the world is the one you have with you. Too big it's expensive and gets left in the car.

A positive attitude coupled with good training will help you in most circumstances. Equipment is nice to have but never guarantees a patient outcome.

Total agreement.

"Unhappy with what is and isn't in Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) FAK's, I decided to put my own together. " - not to mention the prices!

Aldi/Lidl offer sensibly-priced alternatives.

They certainly make First Aid Kit Shaped Objects. I'm not sure I'd want to trust them in the wilderness, for starters I'd want to make sure they had a durable waterproof outer...

J

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The most common injuries I have treated in exped as one would expect have been cuts. Generally a direct result of people breaking the safe use rules. A couple have required further treatment in hospital. Tendon damage.

I have dealt with a number of burns from Kelly kettle issues to one lightning strike. Was a close proximity ground strike resulting in a fractured wrist as well.

Head injury due to rock fall. That was nasty even with the chap wearing a helmet.

Spinal injury to fall on wet rocks whist canoeing. Tricky evac in the UK again good job was wearing a helmet.

Several fractures, ankles forearm and collar bone. Plus multiple fractured ribs.

several serious soft tissue injuries. Severely twisted ankles. Dislocated shoulders and knees.

1 case of drowning. Girl survived.

Couple of cases of anaphylaxis including my own.

Hypothermia

Frost bite.

Acute mountain sickness.

there will be other trauma cases that I can't recall.

several true shock.

medical

Most common are water bourne infections.
serious asthma attack resulting in cardiac arrest. Survived.
infections from bites and cuts are pretty common.
1 case of serious issue due to diabetes.
Toothache/Abcess.
Leg ulcer

Gross swelling of the scrotum due to chaffing. Bleeding and infection. Young lad too afraid to wash in case of being observed by his peers.
Seisures.
Drug and alcohol poisoning.

Its not an exhaustive list but may give you an idea of what I have come across running courses and acting as the expedition medic over a number of years.

BushBerks

Jun 19, 2015
Berkshire
Apparently a sanitary towel and a condom are a good combination for self treating a head wound. Not easy to bandage your own head! ;)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Apparently a sanitary towel and a condom are a good combination for self treating a head wound. Not easy to bandage your own head! ;)

Argh, not the fscking sanitary towel and tampon as dressing thing again. It's 2016, you can buy bandages and dressings you know.

J

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If I see a guy wearing a sanitary towel and a condom on his head I will run so fast I will probably trip and break a leg.

Condoms are fantastic to protect a rifle barell getting water, snow and dirt in it, but I have never carried a sanitary towel.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I normally use the compeed style blister plasters. They are expensive but they do stay on as long as you warm them to body temp before applying.

The old sanitary towel and tampon thing is good to know about when you have very little kit and need something to mop up the red stuff. Usually amongst a group of young ladies one will have a stash you can steal. No substitute for a proper haemostatic dressing for major wounds.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The most common injuries I have treated in exped as one would expect have been cuts. Generally a direct result of people breaking the safe use rules. A couple have required further treatment in hospital. Tendon damage.

So something to treat sereous burns with.

Strapping for bracing broken bones

Something for rehydration

Something for allergys (antihistomine?)

Something to deal with serious wounds

Small wounds kit(plasters tick tweezers antiseptic asprin etc)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE