New Carboot Tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just signed up with imgur lets see if Ive bodged it....

J12n1UK.jpg

Glory be it seams to work and a lot faster than photo*ucket!

Hit two boots, a total bust at the first but the second was paydirt!

£3 got me a unused or just sharpened Sanderson Bros and Newbould panel saw, some surface rust but otherwise in great nick! Since the markings may be lost during cleaning up I'll record them here.

SANDERSON BROs
& NEWBOULD Ld
Machine Ground ATTERCLIFFE STEEL WORKS Refined Cast Steel
& Polished SHEFFIELD Warranted
ENGLAND

Oh well my careful spacing went to pot then!

More on the other two tools when they are derusted and any markings are visable. They cost me 50p each.

Absolute best buy of the month were two brand new MiB Aladdin Lox-on chimneys, just two pounds each. I'd got the one i did up my mantle lamp with off the same guy and at the time he said he my have a couple more, Since these are something like 45 to 50 quid each new and way out of my pocket normally I'm chuffed to bits. Id missed them on my first circuit being boxed up but my second, slow, tour picked them up.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
And I'll put up the last couple of pics that PB ransomed.

6kMOyFJ.jpg

The 12" Nicholson Made in Canada super aggressive rasp I got for a quid. Firth Brown 14" dreadnought file i derusted a month or so back. The Home turned handles came from beech rolling pin, a 50p carboot special.

oZphf4g.jpg

A couple of light hammer handles 50p ea
clay moulding tools
Plastic and Ally Rabone spirit level £1 then i found a much nicer mahogany and brass one for £3 The steel one was a lump of rust herself got for £1 for no reason I can discern.
F. Allinson RICHMOND size 1 lasting pliers £2.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice stuff dude! good shout on the new thread too.

Anwyay, I guess I'll repost the last hoard I gathered.

MYjcIqt.jpg
GntFJpb.jpg
aiZWQDW.jpg
N2Bjja3.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
regarding my spriit levels. I think I have the same brass little one as you. The big ones though are kinda warped and banged u pfrom age etc. Theya re made of teak though so I think I can repurpose the wood and some of the brass fittings.

My saws though.. they don't have any real monetary value nor do I intend on using most of them. Would it wrong to repurpose the steel..??

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Go for it says I, there's a long tradition of repurposing the steel from saws, it's usually very good stuff.

I've got the handle off, soaked it for about two hours in the hot oxcilic acid solution, rinsed it off and then polished the residue away and got the sides as smooth as a babies bum, finishing with 0000 wire wool and oil. If you angle the blade you can still read the etched markings and rather than being AR about it i've left the stains which don't detract from its use. I've had the tendency to be a bit precious about appearance in the past I know. I was careful to keep away from the teeth, i'll saw some scrap with it to wear off any residue rather than blunt them polishing the teeth!

Ill do the woodwork tomorrow and the handles of the draw knife i did the steel on a few weeks back.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finished the panel saw, apart from some purely cosmetic stains that it would have been detrimental to the functioning of the thing to remove, im pretty damn pleased with it!

Az9S3M3.jpg

I would not like to think what something of similar quality would cost me now!

The round nosed pliers are only CKs but from back when they were made in Germany, CROM VANADIUM is cast into the sides of the handle.

The Split driver thing is marked what looks like WERRER BROS LTD over LONDON It's well made anyway and Im always having to convert screwdrivers into split drivers and they never seam to last long. I've picked up a few proper ones now from boots etc but the more sizes the merrier!

The draw knife handles needed a lot of work to smooth them off, it would have been quicker to turn new ones I realised towards the end, but hay ho thy were done, the right hand one had a deep stain running down it under a crack i sanded out so since the wood wasn't pretty any way i wiped it a few times with a dark stain and now its balanced in two Horlicks mixers of the cheap "Dark Oak" Danish oil I picked up. I'll inflict a pic on you when it's out and I've made a blade guard for it.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
OK, I haven't done the guard yet and with a back log of about 7 sheaths and blade guards to make it may be a while. So here is the £15 Wm Marples draw knife from Mike at Colne Tools. The handles look crap but are comfortable and solid.

N3dLCqF.jpg

Since that makes 5 straight drawknives I will have to restrain myself in future, unless of course its a minter for under a tenner! I'm still looking for a curved one or a scorp.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That Marples draw knive looks a good one for big work. Good restoration.
There's a useful scorp at the tip of almost every farrier's hoof knife.
I open them with a 3/16"chainsaw file at 12 degrees, no more than 15. The fine sharpening is really awkward.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
herselfs warned me that imgur dont like third party hosting either so will sign meup to flikr or another one i forget the name of.

Anyhoo, I do have a hoof knife as it happens but its something bigger i am after and since Im owed a birthday present from a week back Herself is getting me a shiny new Ray Iles job

https://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/ray-iles-scorp-79-p.asp

and a big German made 5 tray cantilever steel tool box for my leather working kit. I couldn't find a UK made one we could afford. my current set up makes finding owt a complete pain and puts me off doing owt.

ATB

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, very hansome (Me turning Cornish `ansum`)

Yesterday I picked up one of those camel bone boxes there are so many of, but they never are the right price. This was £2

But collecting, of course, by rights I should be concentrating on what I want.

(Seriously there is so much bone tat around...though it is nicer than most costume jewelry)

So today I picked up a horn and brass necklace, and a fantasic little snuff box.

The snuff box needs new inlay on the lid but...I can do that!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
'got too much on tomorrow to go booting but the weekends not been a total loss tool acquisition wise as the Ray Iles Scorp herself ordered for me as a belated birthday present arrived just as we were leaving this AM.

j1NSpCW.jpg

While we were out My Hermes bounced off the door so they will be delivering the shiny new German 5 tray cantilever toolbox thats the other part of my present. In anticipation all my leather working tools are laid out on the floor of the shed waiting to go in. Ill have to start using them as the scorp will need yet another edge guard, that makes about 8, if you include sheaths outstanding so far!

currently the scorps handles are sitting in two jars of linseed oil soaking it up and ill do a bit of fettling on the blade with a fine ceramic rod when they are dry. I really need to score some wood, a big lump of sycamore for a dough trough and ideally a slab of beech for the seat for a spinning stool.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Most interesting. A better-looking tool than I expected.
Final sharpening and honing. Can you measure the total included bevel angle?

After a look at the edge in bright light, I'd begin with 800 grit.
What's your choice?
Moving abrasives on a stationary tool or stationary abrasives against a moving tool?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'll get back to you on the grits and angles when i can sort them, my latest toys just been delivered and now my leatherworking stuff is stored where i can get at the tools much easier. ok the box itself is quite heavy before i put owt in but i likes it!

6lZhZOS.jpg

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Due to being snowed under with less fun stuff the who tool thing has been a bit dead for me of late. My input will be zip for a while yet since I'm now running around like a chicken with my head cut off getting ready for going off to Comrie Croft for five days on Sunday. Unfortunately since herself insists on us using the huge tent there will be limited space to carry all the fireside toys I'd like to take. If this visit works out for us next time we'll book early enough to get one of the Nordic katas so I'll be able to take up the 22 pint Thermette and Aussie camp ovens etc. We will be going to the Crannog Centre one day, shame it couldn't have been when the event was on last week end but way it goes.

The leather working kits been laid out on my workbench now for three weeks now and I've not had a chance to do zip, so not so much as a simple blade cover made.

Infact the only crafty thing I've done for a while is convert the 10.7lb of beeswax, wire, crud and dead baby bees I was given on Sunday into 5 x 1lb blocks of clean wax. So that's 50 size 10 candles when I want to make them up. Since I'm a bit AR about purity I'll run the wax through some proper filter paper when I actually use the stuff.

Still, I'll pack a few small green wood tools and a good first aid kit so I'll get some making done around the firebowl thingies at the campsite.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got back from holiday yesterday and couldn't bring myself to drag the family off to a boot first day back.

The charity shops in the bits of Scotland we bmbled around had no tools or crafty stuff although they kept us in novels and the odd serious book, we had more joy at the site shops, herself got some decent stuff at the Crannog Centre ( natural dying and various forms of weaving ) and I got a horn spoon ( yes I know I could have made one but I wanted a souvenir apart from the guide book ). The guide was excellent and we spent a good three hours there I reckon, well worth a visit.

Anyroad a normal service will now resume , my apologies to those who have been waiting for replies, things etc.

Currently im baking the pre dry mixed fruit damper I didn't get a chance to make up there, we managed to have fires most day but the proximity to tents with small children meant I was loathe to bang about with big steel pans after 8 when the ashes were most suitable for baking and I'd mellowed out anyway. I will definitely make or repurpose a natural fibre cooking shelter sheet to work under when it's wet. I'm hoping the faux 18 th C basha sheet I made from a couple of thick linen sailcloth curtains is big enough, that will save work.

Meanwhile the tents out back airing before we carry it into the shed. It's just on the end poles with everything loose and should be dry enough in half a hour. We won't fold it yet as I'm going to seal the seams where the tubes for the poles go. In the torrential rain we had 3 nights of came through ever so slightly so it's worth doing the seams, it's the first time since I bought it 5 or 6 years back and I don't think they were done at the factory. It's a Wild Country Citadel XL I got cheap when they introduced a new version where they needed to idiot proof it in a couple of places. Being naturally careful with kit I've not had a moments trouble with it. I must admit I love it to bits. Sadly I think they have stopped making even the new version so when it finally goes I will have to find another make. In a emergency with the inner sleeping compartments removed it could easily sleep 18 with reasonable amounts of kit. But it also fills half the boot of the wife Mondeo so you okay for all that space.

Well the damper looks right, I threw in some dried yeast when I made it up along side the baking powder so I'm hoping it will have a yeasty flavour like the cowboy biscuits I banged on about a few weeks back.

One thing i did aquire in Perth was a unused footed pottery oil lamp with two cotton wicks. £2.95. The only one I can find on the interweb claims its Japenese. I tried it with cooking oil and it burned poorly, you had to tip it forward every few minutes to get a decent flame. When home I tried it with olive oil which improved it some but not enough to make it a useful light so I swapped the cotton wick for 6 inches of fibreglass 6 mm wick with about a quarter of a inch exposed and it burns lovely now.

Hopefully ill ill be able to find some new finds to show and tell soon.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks, got to Accy flea for the first time in ages and found some new bits, i've added some odds and sods to the pic that didn't merit seperate pics when i got them.

top down.
Japanese oil lamp unused when i got it £2.99 the cotton wick was rubbsh so i fitted a 5mm fibreglass one, works fine now.
Archimedes Drill with 4 new flat drills £1. No markings but modern and nicely made.
Steel tool box £5, ill give it a lick of paint and use it for my surforms and wood rasps, currently they are chewing up a webbing bag. There's a compartment under the lid that will take the spare blades nicely.
Brades 1 3/4 lb axe £10. Will restore it for herself although it doesn't really need it.
Kellermann Germany adjustable wire strippers 50p some light rust to remove.
Various sewing bits 20p each.
I think these pliers (no visible markings) are for pulling animal teeth , should hold round section rod on the mini forge well. £1
Assorted rivet snap and sets, think they were a couple of quid, now pickling in citric acid solution.
Unused minty Multicraft Pocket Kit Craft Tools London England, £2. Beautifully made craft knife with various files blades and a file bladed hacksaw. The sort of thing i couldnt afford as a kid.
A couple of those hollow wooden multitools, paid about a quid each to use them as handles for drill bits, should clean up well.

Will do after pics when they are cleaned up

ATB

Tom

AK3hKVv.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
uXgMbFV.jpg

Got to Huddersfield flea pretty late on, about 11 but still found a few useful bits.

4 new 45kg sized rice sacks for 75p each ( need something breathable to store herselfs collection of raw wool in )
the two bigger pairs of tongs were £2.50 each, the curved awl and two pair of smaller pliers were £1 the three. The unused 1/2 pan water colours were £4 ( RRP £24 odd but you can get them for half that in the various sales). No visable markings on any of the tools do far except hearts stamped into the 2 nd tongs down.

The book was 50p at Tolson Museum in Huddersfield, which incidentally is a gem, particularly the gallery on weaving. The replica of the inside of a weavers cottage is nicely done, with interesting examples of oatcake making kit.

since it's the last day of their holidays I won't be dragging the kids to a carboot tomorrow. Plenty to sort out as is to be honest.

atb

tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
I wrote a post and must have forgotten to submit it!! :eek:

Anyhow, Last week I bought this little Woden metalworking vise for £8 :cool:

tfcX8w4.jpg

Also bought two packs of 10 thin cutting discs for the 115mm angle grinder for £4

26YoYPa.jpg

I also bought a set of Stanley sidecutting wire cutters!

DmS3Yre.jpg

This is what it said on the other side!! :eek:

vUHs7KM.jpg

Also got some fab Boots 8x40 bins! I'm not sure if it's Boots The Chemists! :rolleyes: It's in the same style of text though!! They're really nice and clear and draw plenty of light in!!

i2Pvlh3.jpg

52JaRKy.jpg

I got the wife a little set of Goldline 10x25 after I destroyed hers cleaning the lenses, The cleaning fluid got on to the inside of the lenses!!

SVw4oZ2.jpg

And yet another set of Bins!!, Japanese Super Zenith, Another set that is bright and crisp!!, I went this morning and found a set of the same but 20x50, Something was wrong with the right side and it was very dark!, I then picked up some Pathescope ones, They were double imaging!

djRAzJ7.jpg

TqlEcXj.jpg

John :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice haul!

Didnt go anywhere today so inbetween times i cleaned up and fettled the bits that were outstanding from last week.

r0tSM37.jpg

The snap and sets, where the markings hadn't been obliterated by the scratches from the unguarded jaws of a vice, were all Priory. two pairs 1/8ths and 3/16ths plus a single larger one I need to measure and remark plus a home made set ( or is it snap, the one for knocking the shaft through rather than turning over the head?) Nowt else had any meaningful markings, the odd smiths mark but nowt else. The curved awl ive now got soaking in linseed oil and ill touch up the point with diamond stones later. Its pretty sharp from the cleaning process to be honest.

Th small Brades axe I have sanded the old scarred and dirty varnish off and given two coats of satin yacht varnish. Realistically the person i'm doing it up for isn't the sort to keep oiling it and faffing about so once the heads fettled as well I will stand the head in a pan of linseed so it soaks into the wood that goes through the eye for a few days and that should sort it pretty much indefinitely.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sometimes real life don't half get in the way of enjoying yourself. Folk going back to school and work and then bringing home a new collection of coughs and colds has that effect on my life but hay oh im pretty damn lucky still!

A brief trip to Colne got me a new XL issue Snugpack sleeka copy for £5 and some as new walking trousers for the lads for £2.99, if you can get into 28"s you are made in this lark!

Not many tools this time.

LCJmJfl.jpg

But at least Ive finally got a donnar hammer to convert into a copy of a scythe preening hammer to go with the grit and tinder horns. Its marked Stanley 300, the latter I assume is the weight in gms.

The pots are for storage in the shed, small tools in one, decanted liquids or fine powders in the other. Don't rust and ain't affected by sunlight as well as being remarkably strong.

The scissors (and lock picks, don't ask me why ) herself got, are marked The Ridgely England. The tool guy has sharpened them so they are in perfect fettle and to be able to tell them from mine I'm not tarting them up. This goes back to me shouting at her for trying to use what are 150 quid tailors shears to cut thick corrugated cardboard, thankfully she hadnt started cutting but at that point I banned her from the good stuff and directed her to the pot of plastic handled dross and seat belt shears I have for the kids to ruin.

The nylon net needle was 20p, and like the hammer the Heinz 57 can opener was a freebie from my tool guy.

The Garmin was a freebie from my middle son who bough it a couple of x masses back at great expense thinking it would be useful for explorer scouts or whatever its called but never took out of the house. i've replaced the cheepo batteries with energizer lithium's and am now trying to get my head around it. the manual that come with it is appalling, Im still trying to work out how to delete the paths he entered onto it to try it out! On a similar note The eldest who finished scouting now he is over the age unless you want to be a leader gave me his unused DD frontline hammock last week while tidying his room. Since I felt guilty at encouraging to buy it in the first place I slipped him £20 for it. So that's something else I need to fathom using.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE