Need Non stick billy set...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Okay so i'm currently using my 12cm zebra on my honey stove. overall not bad, however, i am finding it very difficult to remove food from it.
i'm partial to scrambled egg in the morning, however this welds to the zebra so my plan is to go a bit more non stick.
can anyone suggest something of similar size to the zebra (12cm) thats non stick?
i like the little pan/plate thing so a nesting set would be brill.
ta
pete

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I got a non-stick set from Aldi for eight quid. It's great, although the pot holder is a bit flimsy. I also have a 28cm non-stick frying pan (similar price) which I only use for camping.

"Non-stick anodized aluminium" sounds very dubious to me. If it isn't black teflon (PTFE) then I'm suspicious if it's sold as "non-stick". And that set looks pricey.

Enamel pans are good, but they aren't as non-stick as PTFE, which is incredibly easy to clean if you've been used to using things like aluminium mess tins.

Both enamel and PTFE can be damaged easily. If it's going to have to take abuse then forget non-stick and get stainless steel.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
"Non-stick anodized aluminium" sounds very dubious to me. If it isn't black teflon (PTFE) then I'm suspicious if it's sold as "non-stick". And that set looks pricey.

I have a set of the non stick anodized aluminium (not that brand but very similar)and i find they are pretty sticky so I wouldn't suggest them for what you are after

With scrambled eggs I find having a low heat is really important, i have seen people cook them when its been far too hot with non stick pans and they are always burnt on.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
put the beaten eggs into a ziplock boil in the bag and use the water for your morning brew. scrambled egg and water to boot

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Oooh! shiney :D
lots to be going through methinks. i do like the idea of a separate pan, i can probably find something that'll nest or has a folding handle or some such.
i agree that heat is a prob with frying, too hot and everything sticks regardless!
cheers for that link too rik, i must admit that stuff is indeed cheap.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
put the beaten eggs into a ziplock boil in the bag and use the water for your morning brew. scrambled egg and water to boot

Agreed.

Soemtimes - just sometimes mind - adding a wee splash of water into the pot before you add the scrambled egg mixture prevents welding egg to the bottom of the pan.

As egg cooks at about 69/70 deg C don't have it on a fierce heat.

Old chef's trick.

Liam

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
i use the MSR alpine set. http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/expedition-cookware/alpine-2-pot-set/product
ive had it for about 6 years. very good set. i usually take 1 pot and the Primus Litech kettle for water.
the great thing is that my whisperlite intl stove nests inside my pot, along with pot gripper and matches. :)

i usually add a small 'squirt' of olive oil or butter to my lid/frying pan when frying eggs. never had a sticking problem. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE