Need Help Identifying a Gilled Mushroom! - Pictures included.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Can someone please help me identify the mushroom shown in my pictures below taken this past weekend? I found them growing on a stump of a deciduous tree which had been cut down. I'm not sure what kind of tree - possibly a Beech tree. This is in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I've looked at RogersMushrooms.com and couldn't identify it. I've looked in my Roger Philips Mushrooms text book and couldn't identify it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Mungo

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Looking at it I'd lean towards an Agaricus of some type although when you say growing on a stump I'm a tad suspicious - was the stump very well degraded and rotted down or were they growing from the actual wood?

Looking at it I'd lean towards an Agaricus of some type although when you say growing on a stump I'm a tad suspicious - was the stump very well degraded and rotted down or were they growing from the actual wood?

Hello - the stump was on a log that appears to have been cut off a year or two ago - all the bark has rotted off. They were growing from degraded areas within the rings of the wood.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You need to lay it gill side down on piece of paper and get a spore print.

There is vail around the immature gills. This does happen on agaricus but it is the feature for the cortinarias [webcaps] group, which are more likely on dead wood and the have bulbous stem such that.

The spores on webcaps are various sorts of mid brown [shades of milky coffee], on argrics they are dark chocolate to black.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE