Natural Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
What is your favourite natural cordage? Me favourite is the 'lianas' that grows on the bark of oak and beach! It's kinda difficult to get of, so I use a knife.
Very long lenghts can be collected this way! :wink: :pack:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I just had a goe for the first time in my life with bark from willow sapilings. Tried riving the little limbs with some success to get the bark by peeling, but was better luck "skinning" the limb like when you skin an eel and ending up with an inch-ish wide strip. It was nice to try it out (small fire bow) supple takes a bowline or reef knot nicely. Got to try twisting it to make proper cord. Favorite so far (only one to go at) I'll try nettles as well (Is that what R mears used for the arrers in the 1st new programme? :?: cant remember)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
mr dazzler said:
I'll try nettles as well (Is that what R mears used for the arrers in the 1st new programme? :?: cant remember)

Yes that's the what he used.

Tantalus

Native
May 10, 2004
Galashiels
mr dazzler said:
does twisting together increase the strength?
should greatly increase the strength specially with shorter softer fibres

twisitng will force one fibre to grip the ones closest to it

try it with a lump of sheepswool pulled from a fence for a quick demonstration

i think with plant fibres it is important to soften the fibres so that they bend instead of break when they are twisted

soaking them in water before twisting will help

also leaving them soaking in water for 2 or 3 weeks helps rot the cells leaving mainly fibres

this is the way they used to make linen from flax plants

stinks when it comes out the water but hey linen tablecloths are nice

Tant

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
of course it depends on how well you make it and how you treat it...

if you allow the fibers to dry out over night or for 24 hours before you make them in to cordage then they sould last a good long while.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I like nettle too, easy to work with and gather, and you get long lengths too. Not very rot resistant though. I have used willow as well and thats good. Tip save the scraped off outer bark and dry it, it makes a really good coal extender.

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Hey there viking.:wave: One of my favourite natural cordage is Spruce roots.They are very strong and flexable and are great for lashing shelters together. All you need is a fairly stout stick and away you go.Begin by digging in the area around the base of the spruce tree and when you find the root,just follow it's path and you will be able to pull up a real good pice of lashing material.The root is about 4 or 5 mill wide but can be any length you may find.
Geoff

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Bushmaster said:
Hey there viking.:wave: One of my favourite natural cordage is Spruce roots.They are very strong and flexable and are great for lashing shelters together. All you need is a fairly stout stick and away you go.Begin by digging in the area around the base of the spruce tree and when you find the root,just follow it's path and you will be able to pull up a real good pice of lashing material.The root is about 4 or 5 mill wide but can be any length you may find.
Geoff
I agree. They're really strong, and we have some spruce trees here, so it's really nice. :biggthump

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I prefer wild clematis (called Travellers joy in my part of the world). You can gather long lenghts of it very quickly, use it in its raw state or lay it into cord. Its quite tough and make a reasonably strong rope as well. In january its even easier as the outer bark sheds naturally. If you try to look for it, i've noticed it tends to grow on alkaline soil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE