My first venture into leatherwork - Scandinavian Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I've had a Enzo trapper for nearly a year, sat upstairs without anywhere to live, so I decided I better crack on an sort it out. Ever the Scandinaviphile, I went trad.

4mm full veg tanned shoulder, with buffalo horn fixture.

6831555257_ba28029530_z.jpg

6831560725_233c7880a1_z.jpg

6831562411_29a908bdd9_z.jpg

6831563673_158248b724_z.jpg

6831561601_2c69efa596_z.jpg

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. She clicks, which is a sweetspot but I think I need to work on my dying a bit. I'm made up with the button, the horn of which was kindly donated by mountainm.

I'll keep at it and hopefully I'll improve. The dye doesn't really look like I want it (too dark and not enough difference between. The mouth of the sheath is supposed to be saddle tan, the body light brown) and I didn't have a skiver so I had to use a razor blade to trim inside. Don't recommend that when you've been drinking coffee. More practice needed!

Hope you like it.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Thanks Eric and Kepis. I think the dye came out that way because if I'm honest, I wet formed it to death. Wouldn't leave the thing alone! So it probably picked up a fair bit of oil etc.

Attacktor

Mar 6, 2015
Portugal
That's beautiful, and I think the slightly uneven dye gives a lot of character. Do you not find that the protruding finger-guard just back of the cutting edge scrapes the inside of the sheath as you insert and withdraw the knife, leading to damage to the leather over time?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't know how I missed this one; that's the coolest sheath I've seen in a good long while.............I'd be very pleased indeed to have come up with one such as that, and absolutely nothing at all wrong with that dye job.

Top notch work, that'll age beautifully.

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
A bit late, to be sure, but I'd also like to add my accolades for this work.

It takes a lot of work to make leather come out like that on purpose, to have it happen without planning is a gift.

Well done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE