My first couple of spoons and an ashtray...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Thought I should really post my first whittling efforts for posterity if nothing else! :)

spoons.JPG

Smallest spoon was my first and is from an old apple tree that we chopped down in our garden at the end of last year.

The longer spoon was made at last weekend's Sussex Meet from birch. Was really pleased how it turned out :D

ashtray.JPG

The ashtray I made for Pinky last night was from a birch offcut. I plan to set a small piece of stone in the bottom so it doesn't scorch!

This was made using my super shiny new crook knives (courtesy of Dave Budd and Mesquite (who kindly put handles on them for me!))

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's some nice carving there Zoe goodjob

Glad to see the the handles were just right for you :)

I like the ashtray as well and it's make a nice trinket tray as well for someone if they don't smoke :)

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Looks nice... Have you/Are you soaking the spoons to stop them cracking?
You do realise now you have started you're going to be whittling non-stop... keep up the good work.

J

Feb 6, 2011
none
I think thats magic , and i fully expect to see some of that handy work at the meet!! anyway cant stop camping again tonight my bday present to myself , day early i know but who cares ! warmest day of the year so far , atb Ivan ...

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I think thats magic , and i fully expect to see some of that handy work at the meet!! anyway cant stop camping again tonight my bday present to myself , day early i know but who cares ! warmest day of the year so far , atb Ivan ...

Happy birthday for tomorrow Ivan....

Zoe - sometimes wood carvings can dry out which can make them crack. For things like spoons if they are to be used for eating then socking them in veg oil will allow the wood to soack up enough oil to prevent any cracking.

If what you have carved is not to be put in someones mouth (like an ash tray) you can rub/soak it in something like linseed oil to prevent cracking.

I'll prob have a bottle of linseed on me at the meet.

J

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
That ashtray is awesome! Seems a pity to scorch it with smokes. Maybe you could use a bit of bark, or carve a piece of wood to sit inside to take the brunt of the abuse?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Excellent, nice work Zoe, cant spoil that tray with scorch marks though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE