Mungo Goes Mushroom Hunting - Part 1 of 4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I went for another mushroom hunting / photographing trip to the York Region Forest, in Ontario, Canada. Here is the first installment of 4 posts - I don't want to overwhelm with too many images. Lots of specimens I'm not familiar with here, but I'll learn them in time - and you can give me suggestions in the comments at the bottom of this post if you see something familiar.

An odd sight indeed - a gall which has formed on a raspberry cane - normally I have only seen these on the stalks of Canada Goldenrod (Solidago canadensis). It sure makes for a spiky looking home for the larvae of the Goldenrod Gall Fly (Eurosta solidaginis).

Unknown specimen.

Pear-shaped Puffball (Lycoperdon pyriforme).

Unknown specimen.

Pine woods - the cover and composition of the 300 + hectares varies enormously - from Pine to Cedar to Trembling Aspen and more.

Unknown specimen.

Unknown specimen.

Pear-shaped Puffball (Lycoperdon pyriforme).

Fat wood from a decayed pine tree root / trunk. The wood here was extremely hard, and once I was able to cut some off with my knife, it smelled richly of turpentine and resins. I ignited some and it burned fiercely.

Unknown specimen.

Unknown specimen.

Unknown specimen.

Velvet Foot, also known as Velvet Shank (Flammulina velutipes).

Unknown specimen.

Unknown specimen.

Cheers,

Mungo

Are you subscribed to the Mungo Says Bah! RSS feed yet? If not - you know what to do...
You can also follow my tweets at @MungoBah

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE