MSR Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
Im looking at MSR stoves and have decided i like either the Windpro or the Whisperlite internationale
have any of you had any past experiance or comments about these stoves.
I like the windpro but am concerned about cold temperatures and fuel availability so i am thinking about the whisperlite...

thanks

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
They are fantastic stoves, MSR are good quality, and have been the stove of choice for many expeditions.
I have no hesitation in recommending them.
User serviceable with easily aquired spares too.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
a smidgeon off topic but I have a Dragonfly. It has only failed me in weather which was 'too hot!' I couldn't prime the blasted thing.

Crunchy cous cous is to be eaten only once!

Other than that it is a superb piece of kit.

Jay

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As others have said, great stoves that you can rely on.

Had the Whisperlite myself for over ten years and it's never let me down. You have to be a bit careful with the plastic pump sections but apart from that they're pretty solid.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Yeah the whisperlite is great for what it is. It's not made for simmering though.
Really good for melting snow or boiling water.
If you want something for 'proper' cooking the Dragonfly's much better...
It can sound like a Saturn V when on full burn though!.. lol It's not the quietest.
You can get the Trillium stove stand that will fit both the whisperlite or Dragonfly.
Makes it less prone to falling over. Worth the price IMHO
I've been looking at the new range of MSR stackable pots lately. Very Nice!..

Simon

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I've had a Windpro for about a year and a half and haven't had any problems no matter what the temp is.(I just turn the canister upside down if I need to)

It uses standard screw on canisters and there's no problems getting a hold of them where I am. Great little stove, I like it a lot.

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
Yeah the whisperlite is great for what it is. It's not made for simmering though.
Really good for melting snow or boiling water.
If you want something for 'proper' cooking the Dragonfly's much better...
It can sound like a Saturn V when on full burn though!.. lol It's not the quietest.

+1

Yes, absolutely agree. Simmering with the Whisperlite can be done, but it's a right P.I.T.A. I bought a 'simmer ring' for it, which helps a lot (the same thing your Granny used to use to avoid boiling the milk over on her gas stove!). However, in the end, I gave up and bought a dragonfly, which is absolutely superb. As Weesi says, its only drawback is that it sounds like the RAF on full afterburners, but if you can deal with that, it's fantastic.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
+2 I chuck my whisperlite in with my trangia set, lives in with the meths burner. Trangia/whisperlite from the sublime to the ridiculous!! :D Great combination though, lets me cook most things.

Cheers,

Alan

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Another vote for the windpro- no problems with it at all and been using it a few years now... Again- cold weather not an issue as long as you tip the canister. Actually, the hose is a little short and tipping the canister can be fiddly, but not a major issue.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
What fuel were you planning for the Whisperlite??.
Do yourself a huge favour and get Panel Wipe from an automotive supplier. It's pretty much Petrol with all the bad stuff taken out. It's fairly odourless too. MUCH cheaper than Coleman fuel!..
I couldn't get on with the smell of petrol. Some folks like it I suppose hehe
You can also get Aspen 4T which is similair but harder in my experience to get hold of...
You'd not have spill problems with the WindPro but to be honest I don't with my DragonFly anymore now...
They are however two completely different beasts with regards to simmer control.

Simon

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have the original XGK stove had it over 15 years now, it has been to war zones, sandstorms, and blizzards and not let me down yet, it is a bit battered but it still works fine, I keep it maintained. It burns kero, petrol, white gas or deiso or even aviation fuel, but i have never tried the last one :)

The new design looks more rugged and I think it has been improvement. The boil time is very quick a litre of water takes about 2 mins to bring to the rolling boil.

Last edited:

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
+1

As Weesi says, its only drawback is that it sounds like the RAF on full afterburners, but if you can deal with that, it's fantastic.

Haha ill have a look at the dragonfly in more depth now seeing as alot of people have recommended it

What do people think of the dragonfly over the whisperlite?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
whats the priming like on the whiserlite internationale?

You just open the valve and allow a tiny bit of fuel into the dish at the bottom, I tend to let that burn down and then open the valve again. I normally get a bit of flaring for a few seconds and then it settles down to a nice blue flame.
Only ever used unleaded in mine by the way and the shaker jet seems to keep it clear enough.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Haha ill have a look at the dragonfly in more depth now seeing as alot of people have recommended it

What do people think of the dragonfly over the whisperlite?

Are you in hook, hampshire?

If so I get down that way every now and then and I have a dragonfly that you could have a play with?

Just let me know if that would be of use?

Cheers

Grebby

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I picked up a second hand Whisperlite off evilbay a while ago.
I was trying to upgrade from an old Primus model 96 - but they are entirely different beasts. It took quite some time of tinkering and swapping fuels to get it to run anywhere near acceptably. Then in short order, the pump unitl failed and went back to MSR for replacement - all free of charge, but I had to wait.
Since getting the new pump, I've only used petrol derivatives and it has behaved flawlessly, but I'll give it a go on some of the lesser fuels at some point to see how it performs on them.

Pretty good stoves I recon.

Ogri the trog

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
I had a whisperlite for a number of years. I wouldn't have another one though.
I found it an incredibly messy bit of kit (i used either coleman fuel or unleaded petrol)
It used to get covered in soot and moving the legs to set it up or pack it left my hands filthy.
It stopped working on a few occasions and required complete dismantling to clean it up.
Controlling the burn rate was just about acceptable but I moved to a gogas zenith stove years ago and found it far more user friendly in all departments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE