Mining lamps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
To save hijacking the other thread too much I'll move this to a new one.

I emailed details of my lamp to the manufacturer who replied

"That is a Type No.1 but as you say it doesn’t have the normal label attached. Im curious myself as I have not seen one like this before. It could have been made for a colliery surveyor as it is brass but it shows no sign of any use."

I took the lamp apart and it's got all the gauze and bits that suggest it was made as a working lamp. No sign that it's ever really been used though. I guess it's off to the museum next to see if they know anything about it.

P1170393.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice lamp with some interesting quirks, I'll be interested to see what you find out about it.

Word of warning, if it's got some real age to it be careful of the gasket in the ring at the bottom of the picture as it could be asbestos.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Looks like asbestos to me. Many lamps before the 80s and 90s still had them.

I've just replaced some seals like that with asbestos free ones in my new lamp.

As chance would have it I just watched a recorded edition of "the Repair Shop" which featured a lamp by the same makers.

It was a bit painful watching them burn it with the wick set far too high...

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
... w/mask and disposable gloves too perhaps ... the people who took the asbestos out of our house about 15 years ago were kitted out for a moon walk. Not sure how much exposure means certain death though. My Dad was a welder and used it all the time, freely, in piles ... but, there again, he isn't with us anymore.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE