Mini axe needing new handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
A while ago I found a small axe in a charity shop of all places for a few quid, so I bought it with the intention of rehandling it (the current handle is very loose in the head and quite likely to fly off if I start using it - the wood at the top of the shaft is quite chipped and worn and the wedges are loose)

small_axe.jpg

The axe head is about 5" x 3" at most, and the handle is just over 12 inches.

Now, having never done any work on rehandling an axe, where should I start? Are small pre-made handles readily available or do I need to buy a block of hickory and go from there?

Any suggestions, links etc greatly appreciated! :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I am no expert, but I would take off the head and whittle down the handle so the head sits lower down in the undamaged wood. I would cut a slot and drive in a slip of hardwood, or more than likely go to an iron mongers and buy some metal wedges. This would mean you have a shorter axe, but hey ho...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Any good hardware shop should have a selection - measure the eye (length) before you go though as that is the key dimension in replacement handles

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
That handle does not appear to be damaged enough to warrant replacement.

I would take the wedge out, make a new wedge slightly larger and drive the new wedge in. Then drive two smaller wedges crosswise in the big wedge.

Sand the varnish off the wood and soak it in boiled linseed oil for a day.

Should last another couple years of rough use.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I am surprised that the charity shop wasnt raided by zealous official's from edinburugh city council SWAT team's for supplying offensive weapon's ;) :lmao:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Murrays tool store on Morrison street may have what you want, along with large amounts of old files/tools etc...

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I drilled out the wedges at the top (came out easily) and discovered that the damage only extends a centimetre or so down into the handle. As has been said, since its in good nick, I'll happily lose an inch off it to try rehandling it. If that fails, I'll try Murray Tools as they are quite good for random bits and bobs - had forgotten about them!

Thanks for the advice! :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE