Midges - BBC1 Scotland Tonight - 9pm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smyth

Oct 16, 2015
London UK
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I just heard on the radio that tonight on BBC1 Scotland at 9pm, there's a pretty comprehensive programme about midges. If, like me, you don't have a TV, it will be available 24 hrs later on the iPlayer.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Was it good?

I thought it was a pointless show, loads of supposed insect experts doing pointless experiments on tiny numbers of people with no real scientific style control testing or system involved and then at the end summarising with what is already known, nothing new learnt at all, waste of an hour of my life ;)

That is the nicest thing i can say about it sadly

Smyth

Oct 16, 2015
London UK
Was it good?

It was informative if you don't know anything about Midges whatsoever, but I doubt it shared anything that you guys don't know about the midge already... The only good news might be the fact that he (Dr James Logan) has been able to isolate the chemicals in the sweat of people who are naturally repellent to midges.

After watching the prog, I googled a bit and found that he reckons a good repellent may be available to us within 2-4 years as the patent is pending... He also reckons it will be as effective as DEET, but without the toxicity and, as plants can make it, he reckons it will be cheap to buy...

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I think my expectations were a bit high, i was watching waiting for revelations and his end summary was just confirming the thing about the chemical in certain peoples sweat being slightly repellent which was already common knowledge, it also bugged me (no pun intended) how crap and un-scientific the testing was with the people sitting in the chairs with tights on their arms sucking any midge that landed in the rectangle into a tube, a midge landing is not a count of a midge biting lol if every midge that landed on you had a bite at heavy midge times that would be horrific

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE