Methods of coping with stress......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has suffered from a bit of stress, and I wondered how other cope with the sometimes daily stresses of life.
I personally, have found adopting the 'It could always be worse' attitude to most things seem to helps, and a newish hobby of mine, walking in the country, has help lift some of the stresses off my shoulders.

Anyone else got any input into these moral crushing feelings, that could in a survival situation cause tradagy??

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
there are a few things. (I'm a management consultant, married with 2 little kids, so stress is no stranger to me ;) )

generally, having a balanced diet, mind and body helps.

diet: eat fresh produce, regularly. Five a day and all that. It's amazing how just that can help you become a wee more stress resistant.

body: being overall 'fit' helps too. Jogging, walking, swimming, other sports that you enjoy and can do on a regular basis. Makes a lot of difference as it takes your mind of things and makes you concentrate or just pumps lots of oxygen through your stress-ridden body.

mind: I'm still figuring that out, but surfing BKUK is a good start :D

you're quite right that also the 'it could be worse' attitude helps a lot.

just my 2c.

Mike

ps: mind: having a mind-jogging kind of hobby might help like sudoku (thst stresses me though) Mine is tinkering with web design

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
mainly what malente said. I personally think that a proper good party every so often helps clear the cobwebs.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
rofl. :D i've nothing aganist cobwebs in general, especially our cobweb. he's not really a cobweb anyway, its all those other cobwebs... umm.
:sulkoff:

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have 37 staff and they all enjoy winding each other up all day, they are like kids, I'm in the middle of 3 Audits and have two key staff off just now so i'm filling in their positions and 100 customers a week spending between £500 and £50000 to ensure they are all looked after.

Also half way through doing the back garden and the wife is moaning that we need a roof on the house before the winter.

Some time i randomly find myself singing "Dont stop me now" by Queen

But anyway, Fishing and Canoeing, getting away from civilisation bobing about on the loch with great views, crap weather and a rod in my hand, I love it. Its like de-fragmenting, running the virus checker and deleting temp files for the old brainbox.

Ruvio

Nomad
I find as well as the "it could be worse" attitude, a nice glass of wine, or a good bottle of beer at the end of the day, a good book, and a nice fire sets me for the night, and i'm the least stressed person i know
also, wood carving, fantastic stress relief

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not an easy skill for some of us.

Be Selfless and Selfish in equal amounts.

Do as much for yourself as you do for others.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My main form of stress relief is through carving wood.

karl_oscar4b.jpg

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Nice carving there Hoodoo!
I think it helps to talk things through both after and often during a stressful situation, you dont feel half so bad if you know your mate is scared too!
Seriously though its good to 'shoot the ****' afterwards whether with friends or collegues, my wife has a good listening ear! Ed

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has suffered from a bit of stress, and I wondered how other cope with the sometimes daily stresses of life.
I personally, have found adopting the 'It could always be worse' attitude to most things seem to helps, and a newish hobby of mine, walking in the country, has help lift some of the stresses off my shoulders.

Anyone else got any input into these moral crushing feelings, that could in a survival situation cause tradagy??

Walking does it for me mate. A good hard slog over the hills is the only doctor/therapist i ever need. Go hard though mate if you want the stress out, gentle walking is ok but it only calms a little rather than eradicates it altogether, thats just my own expierience though. :)

Physical exercise releases chemicals in your body that basically make you happier...Fact

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
STRESS – Argh I’ve had a life full, but I think I’ve cracked it.

I started out in a job for the MoD that daily I was faced with sometimes danger, sometimes horrific scenes, sometimes massive work load and always huge responsibility to get it right against the odds – rewarded with redundancy. Then I started a business and was daily faced with staff and clients’ unreasonable attitudes in a high stress high risk business with, as ever, massive work load and always huge responsibility. After discovering what a crook my partner was I walked and left everything I’d built for 10 years. No money equals no Mrs, she left. To pick myself up, I then got a job that I hated, with people I couldn’t trust commuting nearly 200 miles a day. After three years of hell I’m redundant again, I can’t find a job as there aren’t any.

I’ve suffered from incredible stress for over 20 years and it has taken its toll on me in every way. So am I stressed now – NO. I take the attitude now that it’s a huge cosmic joke. I’m warm and dry, full and entertained, I don’t need anything else. I’m skint and stuff is falling apart, but I’m doing the best I can. All that stuff that you have to have and all the things you have to do – you just don’t. Change your expectation, when people try to pass their stress on to you, don’t allow it, you can only do as much as you can do, anything else is down to their bad planning or just it’s a shame it ain’t going to happen. As my MoD mentor used to say to me when a customer said we need this now – you should have come in yesterday. Life is too short for stress, if you don’t accept it, it doesn’t exist.

I was going to say my 2 cents, but I can’t afford to give them away, and Ruvio, if you can afford a bottle of wine every night I want my free stuff back :)

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
To ease the strees of having to sit in an office all day I like to go into the garden just before sunset, light a fire in the big firepit (no matches here - has to be lit a good way, f&s or friction), make a brew on it, and whist it all gets dark and the fire really starts to show it's light and warmth I just sit there and drink the drink and watch the flames dance. I come in all relaxed and smelling of woodsmoke. Something about making a fire and enjoying it that's so satisfying.

charadeur

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2009
USA Michigan
I'm an IT consultant. As you can imagine doing IT audits does not make you any friends with the full time IT guy. You are going to point out what they are doing wrong and they know it. Half the management does not think your opinion is worth paying for. So stress is part of every day for me. I try to eat right, do yoga and meditate. I know it sounds so 60s hippy but some of what they were promoting worked. And the yoga did wonders for my herniated disk when the doctors said I needed surgery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE