metal grinding bench sander?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
Hi guys, i have been looking for a bench sander for grinding metal into blade blanks as i would really like to get into amateur knife making. I have been looking at a few but have no idea about power, belt size etc. Budget is on my mind but quality is also. Maybe some of the makers can help me for advice on what to start off with? availability of belts is also a concern but this would probably be no problem as i would get them online. Also, an edge grinding jig for scandi grinds would be necessary, can they be bought?
Thanks for the help!
Harry:You_Rock_

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi Harry. I had the same bug you have just a few months ago. I bought a cheap dual grinder from Proper Job. Ive managed to make several blades from butcher knives etc that I bought cheap on car boot sales and TK Max. Ive had alot of fun with it and it only cost 25 quid. I guess it depends on whether you want to go further than the simple basics. Im quite happy with what I can do so for me its ideal. I hope this helps.
John

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what Mac said, and thats the grinder combo i have and use but from power craft for £20, aldi do them from time to time, but you have to be propper quick...

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
thanks A LOT for the suggestions guys, this is a great help, any idea of the required power for the job? i have seen a good one from axminster at 190w but have seen some at the same price or less for higher power up to the 300s

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
They'll all do the job - more wattage just means it will spin faster /not slow down as easily.

Depends on your budget tbh. Obviously the higher the better imo.

Andy

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Don't just look at the machine for what it is, look at it for what it can be. None of the belt grinders available will be suitable for scandi grinds without the correct set up to do them.

So when you are looking at a machine, have a look to see if there is excess material you can attach things to for helping the grind along

I bought one of these, which i still use
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awebds610-belt-and-disc-sander-prod580422/

And added this to it ( had to make it first)
P1010037.jpg

P1010041.jpg

My advice would be something like this with a similar mod to mine. You can do most things on it pretty easily. make your own jig/angle plate for it. Its not difficult.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awebds46-mkii-belt-and-disc-sander-prod725061/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE