Meta 50 stove - excellent review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
ps - the burner he's using in this video is the SAT burner - NOT the civvy trangia or their clones. The reason this is important is that a civvy trangia burner will be too small - it will fall through the tabs! (although easy enough to fix with a little ingenuity) Some of these Meta-50s come with a "dish" that sits on the tabs in the burner-holder, and that will hold the civvy burner or clones.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Could be, although I've never used the two together, so can't be sure. Would certainly give you a decent burn time!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The Assaklitt spirit stove from Clas Ohlsen is UKP13.99 and does include a burner. Almost identical copy, missing only the circular spacer piece. Very efficient at boiling water, which is my main use - even in a gale of wind because of the very effective windscreen. The broad base also makes it difficult to knock over, which is an advantage if you are in a camp with other people. Keeps the burner off the ground, which leads to good performance even when the ground is frozen.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I agree that the Clas Ohlsen Askalitt is a very good value piece of kit. However it is not - in my opinion anyway - as solid as the Meta 50. The key difference however is that "missing" ring, which adds massively to the Meta 50's versatility. I haven't tried running the Meta with an Omnifuel/Nova multifuel burner yet (although I often do it with a Trangia 25), but can see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.

The Trangia civvy stove is a nice piece of kit too, but the Meta 50 seems to be more efficient. The sloping sides seem to make it a faster boiler, and of course you get the added ability to use both pans at once.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Askalitt is super value for money, based on the Optimus 91/Purple Flame. The Meta is a solid bit of kit designed to use the gel burner (think Tommy cooker/can of sterno) IIRC. I no longer own a Meta but running on gel it was a lot slower than the Trangia 25 when I did comparison burn times several years back (how sad is that in hindsight :( )

Best performance boost for different burners in Trangia type kits I've seen is a pressure burner in a Trangia/Trangia clone or the match made in heaven Sigg Tourist Cookset and Optimus 123, the boost is truly incredible in terms of cook/boil/simmer times. That little 123 will cook for four folk :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The Askalitt is super value for money, based on the Optimus 91/Purple Flame. The Meta is a solid bit of kit designed to use the gel burner (think Tommy cooker/can of sterno) IIRC. I no longer own a Meta but running on gel it was a lot slower than the Trangia 25 when I did comparison burn times several years back (how sad is that in hindsight :( )

:)

It is quite depressing when you think about it that the desire to learn and share that learning amongst others makes you feel a bit of a prat. God knows I have been there too! I wonder what the world would be like if we all participated a bit more in it. Whether that be by more of us voting in local elections through to posting videos on camping equipment.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It is quite depressing when you think about it that the desire to learn and share that learning amongst others makes you feel a bit of a prat. God knows I have been there too! I wonder what the world would be like if we all participated a bit more in it. Whether that be by more of us voting in local elections through to posting videos on camping equipment.

Sorry John I should have been clearer...I know why I did the burn times and then others would drone on about the blooming Swedish set;) or whatever lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE