Making a Whip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
This is a quick tutorial on how to make a fully-functioning (i.e crackable) whip out of cheap readily-available materials.

Materials
---------

2 x 15 metres Nylon core washing line.
12" 3/4" diameter wooden dowelling
10 feet polypropylene twine

The whole thing will take about 5-7 hours to make, and will cause blisters :)

Techniques
----------

There are three steps to making the whip - the handle and main body part (a square knot macrame), the thinner tail section (three-strand braid) and the poppers (the thin end parts that make the crack).

Square Knot/Spiral Knot
-----------------------

This is the knot equivalent of closing the side flaps on a cardboard box by tucking each one under the previous flap.

Lay the two strands across each other in a cross - the North/South strand under the West-East strand.

Fold the North strand down to the south position (to the right of the South strand). Take the East strand left to the West position OVER the North Strand to the East position. Take the South Strand up OVER the East strand to the North position. Finally take the West strand right OVER the South strand but UNDER the original North strand to the East position. When you pull tight, you should see the cross knot formed.

To continue this weave, repeat the above procedure - if you alternate (clockwise/anti-clockwise) you will get a square knot, if you always move clockwise you will get a spiral knot.

Handle
------

Take the two 15m lengths and find the middle of each one. Lay one length horizontally and one length vertically, the vertical rope under the horizontal one. Tie a single Square knot.

Now place the piece of dowel end-on on top of this knot and continue tying square knots around the handle. You should end up with the handle encased in the rope. When you reach the end of the dowel, pull al lthe knots tight and space them evenly, then tie another square knot on the top of the dowel to fix the handle in place.
handle.jpg

handle-end.jpg

Body
----

Now you should continue doing knots, but this time make them spiral instead of square, so as to give a smooth rounded shape to the whip body. Continue for around 3 feet.

Tail
----

Stop spiral knotting and instead move to a standard 3-strand plait, but combine two strands into one so you are working with three strands. Plait for around a 2-3 feet, then cut one of the doubled-up strands out so you really only have three strands. Continue plaiting until you reach the end of the whip. Tie off, leaving 3-4 inches on each strand past the knot and trim.

You have now finished your whip! It shoul d be around 8-10 feet long, depending on which point the blisters made you want to give up :D

whip.jpg

Poppers
-------

You will need to make a popper for each of the three loose ends - good instructions for making these is available here:

http://www.em-brand-whips.com/makepopper.htm

Trim these to be equal lengths, and use the loop at the woven end to tie a cow-hitch knot round each loose whip-strand. These can then be easily replaced.

whip-end.jpg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That looks very good match :)
A project on my list is a whip but made out of leather.

Thought I might as well have the Indiana Jones whip to go with the hat !!!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
So far my only use for whips has been standing on the middle of the Meadows in Edinburgh in heavy fog cracking it to see how it handles, and having people thinking they're being shot at :)

However, when summer and autumn rolls round, whips are very useful for fruit harvesting - either whippping things like apples out of trees, or more generally for grabbing branches and pulling them down to harvest level.

Of course they're also useful when crossing fields full of angry cows/horses... :D

As to a leather whip, this is also a project of mine that I'd like to do one day, but you need a good-sized piece of leather to cut the whip body out of, and I'm feeling a tad poor right now :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE