Losing your best friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Its looking increasingly likely that on Tuesday I will have to take my faithful hound to the vets for the last time.

15 years of companionship is going to leave a huge hole in my life.

My wife and I are distraught.

I know it's something all dog owners must face at some point.

Any tips for surviving what is going to be the worst day of my adult life.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If it's the kindest thing to do then you'll know it's the right thing to do. Don't be afraid to cry but your friend will be comforted by the fact you are there with them. Fingers crossed for you, buddy

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi Wayne,

I am sorry to hear this,

our family have been breeding dogs ever since I was a nipper and we have had many dogs. It is always a hard time when you lose one.

I cannot give you any advice that will make it easier. It takes time mate

Spandit is right make sure you are there with them so they will be at ease. I keep a box of photos that we take out and look through and we remember of all the good times and daft things that they have done and we always remember to say thanks to them for there boundless devotion and unconditional love they give to us.

thoughts are with you mate.

Atb

Craig

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Lost my cattle dog of 15 years a couple of years ago, tough does not even come close. Know that you gave your dog a great life, 15 years is a testament to that! My thoughts are with you my friend. It will hurt like hell and you will beat yourself up about "the decision" but knowing that they pass on without the terrible suffering that usually accompanies the end of life will bring you comfort in the end. Be a strong pack leader right up to the end, they lean on each other for comfort. So sorry for both.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
I feel for you its the hardest thing ive ever done and I cried for days even the vet cried.we did nt know if we did the right thing as they were nt sure if it was cancer but we did nt want him to suffer. the vet rang the next day to say it was and we had done the right thing it was a big comfort knowing we did it for him and helped ease his suffering.just remember the good times its Horrable but time will heal

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am sorry to hear of your situation.
I have been there a couple of times but can offer no advice - it just hurts like hell, but time smooths (not heals) that pain after a while.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Three and a half months since I lost my Lab and yesterday I got to scrat a retriever behind the lugs...still heartbreaking.
I,ve got him under a patch of garden which is just showing its new seed. And he has got my summer gilet, my leather dogwalking hat, his "poorly "blanket and soft toys and his bestest ever ball. He is not alone out there, the kids pets will keep him company...but he was my mate and it will be some time before the ache goes away.
Ceeg

A new dog will never replace the old friend, but you can show the new one the same love, companionship, and good ownership you showed your departed pet.
You can also use everything you learnt from life with the old dog, in handling the new one - kind of a nice legacy from dog to dog via you.

Commiserations.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's a little over 2 months since we had Billie put down and having another dog already has certainly helped, although for the first few weeks it was a bit of a bugger watching her check all the rooms to see if her big pal had come back. I have a folder of dog pics on the PC desktop and have one as my wallpaper so we see the big girl every day and are reminded of the good times we had. Mrs Bilmo has a slideshow of dog pics on an electronic picture frame. As has been said, there's not much to say about the actual event other than to come away knowing you've done your friend a very great service.

Last edited:

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I'm really sorry to hear this. I can't really offer any advice as it's never easy and for a while it will rip you apart, but time will evetually soothe your heart ache. I always feel it is a great privilage to help our canine friends and I will always be greatful for that privilage.
I will be thinking of you.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Barney was sadly put to sleep yesterday at 7pm.

Sleep Well little pup.

1998 -2013.

Thanks all for the support

. Hardest few days of my life.

Wasn't this upset when I was told I had an 80% chance of being dead by Christmas several years ago.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm sorry Wayne, there really is nothing anyone can say. But I found the more I just talked about it the more used to the idea I became - you don't get over it though, just used too. I still fill up when talking about mine and that's been since September. Read the Rainbow Bridge, cry with the misses and think of the good times you had together. Sorry for his passing, you've done what's best for him.
All the best,
GB.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
very sorry to hear matey, best thing for that huge hole is to fill it. get yourself over to your nearest dogs trust, spend a few hours there, just walking some dogs, it will help.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I went though this with Douglas. I can't give any advice. I wailed as I left the vet and had a few moments for a few months.

There must be consolation in the life you gave him. But it doesn't feel like it yet.

My thoughts are with you at this tough time.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
So sorry for your loss.

Good advice from above, it was pain i felt when i lost my Lurcher Oz nearly 2 years ago, cried like a baby, but this is all part of the healing process, let it all out.

Swore never again, 6 weeks later went for a visit to the local Greyound and Lurcher rescue............best decision i ever made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE