'light for beach fishing' question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
A friend has just asked me for some advice re buying a torch for his father to use when beach fishing. He is leaning towards a headtorch and requires long burn time combined with a rechargeable option for around £20 -30. My first instinct was for the TikkaPlus but I'm not sure whether or not it has the throw to adequately illuminate the end of the rod (or how well it runs on rechargeables). I guess the PT EOS would be much better but I think thats probably taking him out of 'gift' budget.
Another option could be a long burn, lightweight lantern on a directional base.
Any advice from seasoned sea anglers greatly appreciated.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have a petzl tactikka (?sp) which I use. Although it is an LED, I find it throws ample light and the red filter is a boon for not sacrificing night vision.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I always used a Coleman dual fuel lamp when sea fishing (it keeps you warm too!) . When away from the shelter (reeling in those monsterus fish!) i use a cheap led headlamp i picked up from the fishing shop .
Mind you winter fishing for cod off chesil beach does get a tad cold !
Pumbaa

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
In all honesty i have not picked up my rods since i broke eyes of them both about 2 years ago . Its all sat in my fishing cupboard waiting to get taken down to the shop to get them replaced !!
Pumbaa

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I used to use an old fashioned Tilley lamp. :p

The led torches are fine if there is no rain or haze,an incandescent bulb will cut through the murk much better.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
I think this may be one a fisherman's tale :rolleyes: , but my mate reckons the coastguard told him to extinguish his 12v rechargable halogen spotlamp while fishing on the Gower because it was so bright it was confusing the ferry which runs between Swansea and Cork. :D

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
BorderReiver said:
I used to use an old fashioned Tilley lamp. :p

The led torches are fine if there is no rain or haze,an incandescent bulb will cut through the murk much better.

Same here an old brass tilley lamp cant beat it, one fill lasts me all night, cheap as chips, got it from a market £1.50 and still going strong

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE