Leather closures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

I remember last year chatting with British Red about possibles pouches and closures, specifically all leather types. So recently I got off my behind and made a few changes to my design for a possibles bag / cartridge bag.

possibles1kj9.jpg

Of course the major change is size, but beyond that this is the same pouch, infact it is exactly 82.34% (to 2 decimal places) reduced in size from the cartridge bag in all dimensions across the board apart from of course this is mounted on belt loops and has an all leather closure.

possibles2nq9.jpg

As per normal any suggestions on improving the design would be appreciated and of course what you guys think of it in general, all constructive comments are appreciated.

Specs are 7 (width) x 6 (height) x 2.5 (deep) inches, the leather is veg tan, the face, back and hood are made from 3.2mm and the wall, closure and loops are from 2.5mm. All stitching is by hand and in black 0.8mm braid.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Looks very nice as usual Leon:You_Rock_
My only question would be how the closure system would work once worn in.
Would it get increasingly tricky to thread the strap though and 'plug' the hole?
I don't know
What do you think?

Mark

leon-1

Wow, that is a very nicely done bag. I like the leather closure design quite a bit.

Thanks, but the design is not a new one, it was copied (not exactly) from a pouch that BR put up, I did it from memory so it's about as close as I could replicate.

I have seen this bag in the flesh and can say it is a stunning bit of workmanship...

Thanks Jon.
Looks very nice as usual Leon:You_Rock_
My only question would be how the closure system would work once worn in.
Would it get increasingly tricky to thread the strap though and 'plug' the hole?
I don't know
What do you think?

Mark

I did wonder about that closure myself to start with, but I recon with time it will if anything get easier to use rather than harder, but BR is the man to ask as it was a copy of the design from his old pouch.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Looks very good. I've not seen that sort of closure before, but I think I've worked out how it works. Buckshot may well be right about it getting harder to secure as it gets older.

This is probably hard to convey in words, but as an alternative instead of the "hole and pin", would it be possible to stitch a tab to the strap such that the top of the tab is loose and the bottom is stitched. The lid would close in the same way - passing the strap through the "buckle"(?) with the tab. The loose part of the tab would then flap up a bit and prevent the strap pulling back. To open the flap, you'd have to pull the strap a little further down, flatten the tab to the strap and feed it back up the buckle. Just a thought. Did it make any sense?

leon-1

Nice one Leon....hopefully you'll have it with you at the Gathering..;)

If I make it there this year mate I'll either bring it or one like it with me.:)

Looks very good. I've not seen that sort of closure before, but I think I've worked out how it works. Buckshot may well be right about it getting harder to secure as it gets older.

This is probably hard to convey in words, but as an alternative instead of the "hole and pin", would it be possible to stitch a tab to the strap such that the top of the tab is loose and the bottom is stitched. The lid would close in the same way - passing the strap through the "buckle"(?) with the tab. The loose part of the tab would then flap up a bit and prevent the strap pulling back. To open the flap, you'd have to pull the strap a little further down, flatten the tab to the strap and feed it back up the buckle. Just a thought. Did it make any sense?

I have tried this, I found it more difficult than the method on here, in time with wear if and when it does become a problem just cut it off and use it as a template for a new one is one option, but as I say best bet is ask British Red about the closure as he is the one who has used it before. From what I gathered he liked it and had used it for some time.

We shall see how it works in time, I am now off to polish that one as the one in the pictures isn't quite finished yet.

leon-1

I don't know
What do you think?

Mark

I am kicking myself at the moment, but.....:rolleyes:

I have a solution for this and I can't really think why I hadn't thought of it before. Super glue............:D

Not to glue the thing closed.

Leather absorbs superglue at a rate like you would not believe, if you coated the first inch in superglue till it will absorb no more you will have effectively stabilised it like you do wood. The end becomes plasticised and you cease to have to worry about the flexibility becoming too high for the tail to thread through the hole.:cool:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well Jon, I think you are the only man alive who has seen the original and the "improved" :)

Purely for interest, this is the original - nowadays very soft and stained with sweat, blood, sadly some Caol Ila and gawd knows what

2279683729_de1c97e885_o.jpg

I love this pouch - funnily enough I remember mentioning to Mr P that I was going to get Leon to make me a new one (which he kindly did) as this one was so battered.

I still use the old one (its only about 2mm leather and very soft) on occasions and the strap closure still works absolutely fine - I cant open it by hauling on the lid.

Looking at Leons I'd reckon it'll be good for 4 decades at least - the one shown has 20 years behind it and wasn't nearly as well made.

Lovely looking work Leon :beerchug: - have you got the hang of the three fingered close yey (one handed)?

Red

leon-1

Well Jon, I think you are the only man alive who has seen the original and the "improved" :)

Purely for interest, this is the original - nowadays very soft and stained with sweat, blood, sadly some Caol Ila and gawd knows what

2279683729_de1c97e885_o.jpg

I love this pouch - funnily enough I remember mentioning to Mr P that I was going to get Leon to make me a new one (which he kindly did) as this one was so battered.

I still use the old one (its only about 2mm leather and very soft) on occasions and the strap closure still works absolutely fine - I cant open it by hauling on the lid.

Looking at Leons I'd reckon it'll be good for 4 decades at least - the one shown has 20 years behind it and wasn't nearly as well made.

Thanks Red

Lovely looking work Leon :beerchug: - have you got the hang of the three fingered close yey (one handed)?

Red

I am working on that one, but as I only got finished waxing it a little while ago I am not much cop at it yet:eek:.

This is also the prototype, the next ones have slightly shortened main tabs to make them a little more manageable. Possibly going to do one in British Tan or Saddle tan to see what it looks like.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE