Leather Bottle Stopper Ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've just made a very small leather bottle for use as a hipflask - however I'm stuck for ideas on how to stopper it.

I've tried both wood and cork carved stoppers, but both of these leak if the bottle is inverted (quite likely in a jacket pocket).

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could use to make a stopper? The bottle is now 'finished' so there's no chance of going back and fitting a stopper during the soaking stage :rolleyes: Of course, I might just be doing something 'wrong' in making a stopper in the first place... :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
As a remedial exercise, I've had to do this on one or two occasions. I have found exactly the same problem with leakage from the opening. How I solved mine was to cut a piece of brass tube (from B&Q) about an inch long, insert it into the flask (a tightish fit is best) then seal it all round with molten beeswax. Then I fit the stopper into the brass tube. The tube need not sit proud of the flask opening, but I've found having it sealed in place with wax, and the stopper plugged in the brass tube, you get a much better seal as the leather doesn't move like it sometimes does with normal use.

A thin walled piece of tube would work best. It can be from brass or stainless steel or silver if you can get it. I'd avoid copper though.

I was also playing around with the idea of using threaded brass, and using a threaded stopper with a leather washer inside to create a seal but I haven't tried it yet.

To be truly authentic you could try a plug of wood with a hole drilled through it. Seal that in place with wax then plug the hole with a stopper.

Eric

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have seen stoppers made of leather rolled up tight then plugged in the hole, I dont know how they work or much about them, I'm sure someone on here will though.

Simon.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
As always, immediately after I posted, I had an idea about how to fix this, which I've just tried out and seems to have worked.

I put the wooden stopper in place, got a hairdryer and ran it all around the very top of the bottle around the stopper. As soon as the wax on the surface started to melt, I pushed hard around the base of the stopper with my hands, and held it tight for a minute until it had hardened. This seems to have closed up all the tiny gaps that were obviously there before, as I now don't get a drip when the bottle is inverted :) Might only work as its a small neck, but thought it worth mentioning.

Pics as requested - its a bit rough, but mostly because its a rough offcut which I just decided to make something out of:

hipflask.jpg

(The slightly squint top was there before I applied the hairdryer, and came about during the stretching process :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions though Eric, I've got another bottle I made a while ago that occasionally leaks, and I might try the wooden plug/stopper technique - maybe even try to make a feature out of it!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Thats really nice, what size is it?.

Its pretty small - it holds about 150ml, and is about 7" by 4" - just enough for a warming drink on a cold afternoon. The size I just guessed at using a cardboard cut-out in the pockets of the various coats I commonly use :)

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
It looks the buisiness, next question what tipple will it hold for you?

Simon.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Probably sloe or damson gin - both of which are nearly ready for bottling, or there's always the option of a good whisky :)

Alternatively, it might end up being a Christmas present - still got some folk to sort things out for :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE