Ladies outdoor/bushcraft clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
A question to all the ladies out there - where do you buy your outdoor clothing and are there any particular items you'd recommend?

I'm a dinky 5'2" and not exactly skinny, and I'm finding it really hard to find bushcraft-suitable clothing, trousers in particular!

Many of the outdoor shops sell shorter length walking/trekking trousers, but I doubt many of them could hold up to much of a fire spark and don't seem particularly warm or hardwearing.

I recently bought a pair of Craghopper Pika trousers, but I'll admit I'm not a fan of the colour (silver) and the sizing isn't great.

Have seen the Laksen hunting trousers and ofc the Barbour cords etc online, but still not quite sure they are right or how good they are?

Any suggestions?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too :(
I'm not tiny but I'm small and I'm definitely well rounded :rolleyes: Trying to get size 3.5 boots that are actually comfortable isn't much fun.

For trousers, Craghoppers are comfortable, but....they don't fit properly, waaaay too bumfly around the waist and tummy. Danish defence forces ladies wool uniforms are very good if you can find their small lengths :) British ones used to be good but they've changed the fit and they're now for 'apple' shaped females, not the hourglass or pear. I had to put four darts into the waist of the last ones I bought. Basically they don't have a waistline.

Country clothing is good *if* the fit is right, and the only way is to try and see.
The Edinburgh Woolen Mill sales are worth a squint though, I got two pairs of dark green woolen trousers for £8 each :D Damart sales likewise :) Seems a bit granny-like shopping there, but you're only after muted coloured wool or linen trousers so it's not as though you're ready for your pension :D

Bonne Marche had pure linen trousers last Summer for under £15 :cool: very comfortable too, though they wrinkled something, 'just awake and up', dreadfull for the first dozen washes :eek:

There's a fair few small females on the forum, if you find something good, let us know ? :D

cheers,
M

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Thanks Toddy!
At least I have few problems with footwear (size 5) - though after climbing the Surrey Hills this weekend, I'm also on the look out for a considerably lighter pair of boots or walking shoes! My old Karrimors from 2002 really need retiring or at least keeping for full Winter. :D

Agreed on Craghoppers - the waist fits nicely on my hips but my tum, bum and thighs aren't that big!! Would love to know what model they use for sizing... :confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah Craghopper's are weird :dunno: Gilly Claycombe said the same thing; and we both sew, but fixing those would be a real pain.....and what *is* with all the hidden pockets on them ? I keep finding another wee one hidden behind the one hidden behind the outer ones :dunno:

I'm still wearing a pair of hiking boots I bought for one of the boys nearly twenty years ago :eek:, well, they're comfortable and I've gotten them so broken in that they're just right, even after being re-soled twice :) I keep buying new ones, but I still go back to that old pair.

cheers,
Toddy

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Check out Army Surplus stores. My other half often has more success than me in purchasing clothing and often at a better price. The wholesalers seem to sell in "bundles" which can mean that the stores are left with smaller sizes that they cannot easily sell.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Hilltrek and Extreme Outdoor Clothing do excellent made to measure items at a reasonable price. My wife just got a pair of EOC's Atlas Trousers and they fit like a glove. The owner Keith Lowes does Tactel, cotton and fleece jackets and trousers. I'm a big fan

NS

I

IBrown

My misses gets all hers from the Army Navy stores, The Bunker Warehouse in Waybridge in Cornwall is worth a visit if you are in the area. She came away with more clothing than I did. The owners wife is very helpful to the ladies. http://www.thebunkerwarehouse.co.uk/

Lisa (lady of tanith) has the opposite problem 6ft 1in and thin
endicotts was very good at finding her some combats that fitted well
might be worth having a chat with kev? he managed to pick trousers that fitted her fine with the above description and her size

usual disclaimer no connection happy customer

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
generally i just buy mens clothes and put a belt on. i often wear some nice thin leggings underneath tho. i recently found a stock of 'compression' garments for more efficient running.... no thats not me...... they make a really warm underlayer and at a fiver each, short or long sleeved were excellent value, really long tuck under yer bum cosy. only xl and xxl left now though so not much good i guess

its good to find some females on here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE