Knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Which knots do you think is the most important when out & about?? You can all mention one, but only one per person! :wink: :)

I'll cheat a little and say a roundturn w. 2 half hitches... :D :biggthump

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
TheViking said:
Hi...

Which knots do you think is the most important when out & about?? You can all mention one, but only one per person! :wink: :)

I'll cheat a little and say a roundturn w. 2 half hitches... :D :biggthump
A backed-up Clove Hitch

Seagull

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
My old uncle used to say "You need to have a hitch (for anchoring), a knot (stopper or loop), and a bend (for joining two ropes) in your repertoire. And you can pretty much do all this with a bowline". In my opinion the bowline is the most versatile of all.

It's better though to use a knot that's designed for whatever the task is.

Matt

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
AbowV.gif

:wave:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I was going to say bowline as well but Qweeg and Simon beat me to it so

Reef knot, bet you use it without even thinking. :wink:

Simon did you do that animation yourself? It's great. :biggthump

Bill

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I think everybody should try to make knots behind their own back. It's very good exercise. :wink: I tried this with a few and it's quite difficult with some knots, but the square (reef) knot is fairly easy. :D :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
TheViking said:
Hi...

I think everybody should try to make knots behind their own back. It's very good exercise. :wink: I tried this with a few and it's quite difficult with some knots, but the square (reef) knot is fairly easy. :D :biggthump
More than that you should also practice in the dark, swapping hands and even under water.

My favorite knot - the constrictor knot. Not because I use it a lot but because of the beauty of it.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Seagull said:
I,d like to see anyone tying a Turks Head, behind their back, underwater, at night!

Seagull
:rolmao:

The results could be interesting!!!!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'd agree re:The Bowline knot. Non slipping, easy to tie. Easy to untie. When we learnt it years ago in the scouts we had to do it fast (competition) Also I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it's really quite efficient (the cord will retain about 80% of its strength. :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Adi007 said:
My favorite knot - the constrictor knot. Not because I use it a lot but because of the beauty of it.

I used to be employed by EMI as a prototype wirer and when lacing large number of cables, we used to use the constrictor knot because you can daisy chain them easily. top knot!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE