knife making problem, please help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
hey guys, i really need some help on this one

i got a handmade knife blank and the scales for Christmas and i have made the handle for it and it has turned out great. But i have a large problem, and that is that the leather sheath that i ordered off of the bushcraft store is very stiff and does not fit my handle, it does not seem that it has been made for any particular style and the opening is too narrow, i can fit the knife half way in but i don't know how to mold the leather to fit the handle.
Anyone know?
Thanks
Harry

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Depends what it has been finished with, if your lucky you might be able to wet it down with water and wet form it although if bought from a shop this might be tough

as stated above a picture would really help

Dave

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If this is the sheath that you bought then personally I would see if I could send it back for a refund explaining it's too small for your knife.

Then I would speak to any of the makers on this forum and have a bespoke sheath made for that tailored fit to your knife. It's not a lot of difference in price and I've seen some cracking sheaths up for sale on here for the same price.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Harry, would it fit if it went in further without cutting the stiches or leather, if it would you have 2 options which depend on how the leather has been finished...

if its just wet formed then its easy, wet it down re shape and jobs a gooden, if its hot wax dipped its a bit harder, you will have to heat the sheath very carfully untill the wax becomes soft then remold....

would you say its been wax treated is the first thing you need to know???

regards.

chris.

PS, you have 2 threads the same mate...:)

Handmade Matt

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2011
Surrey
Then I would speak to any of the makers on this forum and have a bespoke sheath made for that tailored fit to your knife. It's not a lot of difference in price and I've seen some cracking sheaths up for sale on here for the same price.

I would agree, or perhaps try to make a sheath yourself?
Functional, attractive designs are perfectly achievable by an amateaur with a little time invested.
Here are the first sheaths I made.

381509_296775490355793_161671350532875_957731_965537267_n.jpg

I've now moved on to making custom knives and leatherwork for clients. All rustic and simple pieces that I have self taught and learned along the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE