Kni-co stove(initial review)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Hello
I spoke to some people about my stove coming in from the states. My dad and I came to an agreement that if I bought the lavvu he would buy the stove to keep him warm in his cheap summer bag and to offer an alternative to under my hammock (he is pretty tolerant really ). Anyway after months waiting an hours drive and £40 pounds of import duty (I was of course charged for the pleasure) the stove is in my possession. When choosing the stove I had to try and get the best balance of weight: durability. Although I knew I would never be taking the stove backpacking I decided I needed something that could at least be carried a few hundred meters through the woods. I settled on the Kni-co Alaskan (sheepherder's) stove at just over £120 for the stove, Flue, water tank and side table and he threw in some extra flue to make it lavvu size free of charge. One of the things I really like about the design is the way that everything fits inside the stove for storage and the legs fold up. On the downside of a lightweight stove there is the possibility of a burnout through the bottom but the manufacturer suggests a few cm of dirt to be put in the bottom of the stove to prolong its life. Here are my initial pictures of the stove (there is a lot more flue than this) and I will hopefully try it out tomorrow so i can offer some more photos and
thoughts.
various2007145.jpg

various2007150-1.jpg

various2007156-1.jpg

now to turn my "studio" back into a bedroom before somebdy notuces the tarp over the wardrobe and the bed on the otherside of the room.:p
George
:)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Nice one. I think I'm being dim here but is that last photo of all the components stowed inside the firebox?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
That very similar to the stove I got from Cabelas for my Big Horn, if it performs as well, you have just bought a cracking unit.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
That very similar to the stove I got from Cabelas for my Big Horn, if it performs as well, you have just bought a cracking unit.

cabelas sell this one too. Do you have the outfitter stove because that looks almost identical.

:D Thanks for the initial review. A really good looking stove and I look forward to hearing how it performs.

I have just lit it inside the lavvu and will post some more info and pictures on how the stove performs in the morning.
George:)

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Am interested in purchasing a stove for my Helsport lavvu and this seems ideal.

If you don't mind me asking what did they charge for P & P from USA?

Simon

P&P was around £60 and it was meant to take only 2 weeks but it was deleyed an exra two weeks and i was stung fo £40
George

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
cabelas sell this one too. Do you have the outfitter stove because that looks almost identical.

Yup thats the one.

You may find that due to it not being airtight you may have problems turning the stove low enough to burn all night without running out of fuel. If this is the case you may find that the air is getting in around the door, I bought some flat stick-on sealing rope from our local wood burning stove shop and stuck it around the inside edge of the door, this really helped and made the stove much more controlable.:) :) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE