Kilts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
A topic that comes up often enough. I'd like some advice please. I'd like a kilt to take into the woods. I just got a tax refund so I'ma spending some CASH :)

I already have a kilt but it's way too expensive for me to get dirty, or get bombers from the fire :yikes: I've been looking for a cheaper number but have been put off with the synthetic wool blends.

Ideally I'd like a 100% wool kilt on the right side of £100 but that might be a tall order. A lighter weave or a shorter length plaid is fine for me as it'll be worn hiking in the warmer months as well.

Has anyone had experience with the cheap (£20-40) kilts on ebay? Are they comfy? Are they fire retardant, presumably less than a 100% wool one?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Either as Jason suggests or find an ex army one, or even head to the Scout shop and have a look there. Theirs are often hemmed kilts, so not 'tailored' iimmc.

They old army ones are heavy weight though; a real hill kilt.

Kilts come in three main weights, that's *if* they're pure wool. Dancers ones which are half the weight of the hillkilt and cut lean so a bit less fabric too.
Normal ones with the selvedge edge as the hem and then the heavyweight ones.

The cheap mix fibres ones are fine for the pub after the match, but they're not really safe near fire.

What size are you looking for ? Might be worth an ask around.

cheers,
M

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Lidls sometimes sells kilts, IIRC they are meant to be 100% wool, but i'm sure they arent a full weight one. They usually cost around £40-£50.
Worth having keeping a look out for them when they come in, they sell out the first couple of days.
We never bought one yet, so not sure about its fire retardant qualities.

Cheers
Ness :)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'll go with Toddy here. I had an ex military kilt for years. They are bomb proof and don't cost the earth.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'd wear a dpm kilt,they were coloured originally from the local flora and blended in to the surroundings...

Looking for an od ventile myself though. Seriously.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'd wear a dpm kilt,they were coloured originally from the local flora and blended in to the surroundings...

Looking for an od ventile myself though. Seriously.

I intend wearing it hiking abroad. A tartan kilt is easily recognizable. Every wedding I've been to abroad I've been approached, it's great, so I'm sure it'll be a good icebreaker on the trails too.

Ventile kilt? Really?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk

Gordons kilt £100
Royal regiment of scotland kilt £90
Black watch kilt £90

and if the migies arrive u could try-

Black watch trews £20
Mckenzie seaforth trews £20
Leslie trews £20.

all of the above are ex military so they should be bombproof !

cheers Andrew.:headbang::headbang:

Awesome! Thank you! Those trews are quality, too. Might get a pair for my da's birthday hehheh. Can't seem to find an answer through my google-fu but how do the military sizings compare to normal measurements? When it says '72' is it just listing it in cm opposed to inch?

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I'd be less worried about biting flies,than ticks getting were the sun dont shine! a mate of mine used to do jacobite re enactment and sleep out in(excuse my ignorance) i think he said plaid(sp) anyway the big plainer kilt thingy,that also went over the shoulder,completely mad in summer for biting beasty's and to cold in winter(well for a sassanach like me anyway)

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Awesome! Thank you! Those trews are quality, too. Might get a pair for my da's birthday hehheh. Can't seem to find an answer through my google-fu but how do the military sizings compare to normal measurements? When it says '72' is it just listing it in cm opposed to inch?

give em a bell they seem nice people to deal with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE