kayak-black or olive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benmatthews90

Oct 31, 2005
devon
it may seems stupid but what colour should i paint my kayak
i thought about this and if you say olive green rate this thread high if you say black rate it low if you think i am just an idiot who can't make his mind up then tell me and then go away! :confused:

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
What kind of kayak may I ask? Obviously bright colours are preferred for safety reasons but I’m
sure you’ve thought of that.

It doesn’t seem to really bother wildlife what colour you are in my experience (except biting insects who seem to love yellow).

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Do you mean a sea touring kayak?

I would not bother painting it at all. you will be hard pushed to find a paint that will stay on there, secondly if it is for sea use it is best to have a bright colour so other craft have a chance at seeing you, it is surprising easy to be run down whilst in a sea kayak. Finely if you are trying to hide from wildlife for hunting or photography, wildlife are not spooked by humans in a kayak as they would be on land, in fact many will stand there in a perfect pose looking at you waiting for the shot!

If you are wanting to paint it for camaoflage, you would be best to use a light gray (battle ship gray) for at sea or a light to medium brown for inland waters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE