Just sharing my new knife model. The Nechtan.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Two Nechtans ready for edges and sheaths. These are both in o1 tool steel with brown micarta scales and brass hardware. One with black g10 liners and one with white. I hope you like them!
72e52b097f97cc73ee7c6d7b5d528bc4.jpg
71bc901bce044da1a8a1470aa283b45b.jpg
7609b4e317de5fadd9f5696e7bb05dd0.jpg
c20de29e34fb49f92b0350f0f4c27ca4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Excuse my ignorance but the blade notch near the handle. What is its purpose?

PS I wish I could justify purchasing a work of art I mean a knife of the quality of those. Beautiful.

PPS I've once had a debate under art vs artifice with a guy who liked to think he knew everything. It went along the lines that everything humans made is either art over artifice or vice versa. Basically it's either mostly about function and use (practical stuff) or it's about art (looks over practical stuff). I believe those knives show art and artifice can be equals.

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com

PS I wish I could justify purchasing a work of art I mean a knife of the quality of those. Beautiful.

PPS I've once had a debate under art vs artifice with a guy who liked to think he knew everything. It went along the lines that everything humans made is either art over artifice or vice versa. Basically it's either mostly about function and use (practical stuff) or it's about art (looks over practical stuff). I believe those knives show art and artifice can be equals.
Thank you so much for your kind words!

The notch is known as the sharpening notch or sharpening choil. When sharpening it marks the termination of your edge. If you were to look at the knife edge on, you would see the grind flare out to the full thickness of the grind at the ricasso or plunge line. Because of this thickening, if you had no choil, when you're re sharpening the plunge grind acts as a ramp on your flat stone and can throw your edge geometry off. The plunge lines also look worse and worse with every consecutive sharpening. The choil negates this. Basically from the choil to the tip the thickness behind the edge is the same.

That argument doesn't make much sence to me with regards to rather a lot of things. If one were to look at arms and armour throughout history, it would be quite obvious that fully functional items can possess the highest degree of artistry and creativity. I don't think it's an either or situation.

Thank you again for your compliments.

Ruaridh.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com

It occurs to me that my explanation wasn't as concise as it might be so here are a few photos. One is of six of my knives in various stages but all before there had been an edge put on. Another is of the edge termination on a TRC K1 knife which has a rather large notch. Another is of an AdventureSworn scandi (I forget the name of the model but probably something "woodlore" like) and what you can expect to happen to beautiful curved plunge lines when sharpening. I hope this helps.
737014fc3a14e9b3fa9987e88faefa51.jpg
ee916f399c06c70b94222d68f780087b.jpg
0bd2a9039b034c5cf7680d8f51ee71a0.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE