inflatable canoe for the dog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think I would be very careful. My dogs come with me in my canadian canoe and are very fond of scrabbling around if they see something interesting on the shore. I don't know how safe it would be to be on a loch/sea/river if you did get a puncture. If it was a well trained small dog it might be OK.:rolleyes:

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I've seen one possible canoe which does say it will carry a dog and even has a picture of a lab in it, however i would like to know if anyone takes there dog out in one.The canoe i'm thinking of getting is the sea eagle 330 I found it at www.seaeagle.com. Cheer for the concern about getting a puncture i can see that happening but i think i'll see how my dog gets on on my local river first before we head off anywhere to far.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Can anyone tell me if any of the inflatable canoes are suitable for carrying a dog in.
DAMN!!!! When I saw the sbject as "inflatable canoe for the dog" I thought "that seems a fair swap" and that I was going to be able to get rid of her dog and pick up a new canoe in the process!!!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have took my dog out in a canadian with no problems quite often see dogs in canoes, even took one aboard that could trim the boat better than I could! Inflatables, if it is a decent one it should be OK, at least if you cut the dogs claws anyway! A lot of it will depend on the dog, the size of the dog and how much he moves around in the boat. I am assuming you mean a proper canadian style canoe rather than an inflateable kayak or surf shoe that you sit on top rather than sit in?

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I used to take my Shetland Collie out on the deck of my Kayak to which I had strapped a large rubber pad to give her a good grip for her claws. She did not enjoy it too much as she was not keen on the water in the first place. she never fell in but always looked worried so I then left her atr home. My present Border Collie loves the water and when swimming turns out into the deeper water when her feet hit the bottom. I am toying with the idea of getting an inflatable canoe at the moment, but as it will probably not get a lot of use, I will probably go for one of the less expensive models. My dog is extremely obedient so I do not anticipate any problems. The one I am considering is from G.W Doling&Son 128 Buccleuch St Barrow in Furness tel.01229 823708
Model Sevylor Tahiti K79 HF in Olive Green code No 21426 £145.00 [ incl vat] with
free delivery on U.K. Mainland. Hope this is of help. I go on holiday tomorrow morning so do not expect a reply for at least a week if you get in touch.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Hi There How did you get on with your search for an inflatable Canoe. Any luck? There are a few inexpensive ones around at around £60 + but I don't fancy they would stand up to the dogs claws. I have just been on holiday and spent all my spare on Bushie Stuff so the canoe will have to wait a bit, but the one I mentioned is worth a look at on the Web.
Cheers Stuart.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i own an inflatable sevylor amazon like the tahiti but with a outer cover.it depends on the size of your dog,i own 3 dogs so cant fit em all in .but i dont think they would be suitable on white water but lochs may b ok for a small dog if you put a combat jacket or something down for the dog to lie on.i wouldnt risk it with my ridge back but id take my minature yorkie on flat water ive also got a staffy x im gonna try him out in it soon so ill tell u how i get on

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Our Rotty used to come with us in our Old Town Penobscot 17, not an inflatable I know, but it's more down to how well your pooch is trained. Whether it's an inflatable or not I'd put some carry mat down to make it more comfortable/insulate and prevent damage to your boat.

We never took him on white water as he was simply too big to be able to get him back in from the water, but have paddled with folk who've taken Jack Russels and Labradors etc. You can even get wet suits and buoyancy aids for dogs.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE