Iceland Vs Look What We Found meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lots of talk about the Look What We Found boil in the bag meals on the forum so I thought I’d compare to the Iceland pouch meals

LWWF 250g and cost anywhere from £1 to £3 depending if they are on offer

Iceland 400g and £2 all the time.

The Iceland meal says keep refrigerated but it’s a vacuum sealed pouch and I left this one by the computer for a couple of weeks and there was no sign of the bag ‘blowing’ etc so I’d not worry about taking them on a trip for a few days (that’s MY choice).

The meals themselves? Obviously more in the Iceland pouch and a heck of a lot more chunky Chicken. Sauce wise the LWWF is a little thicker but taste wise there is nothing much in it, both are OK but neither are a great curry. That said, on a trip and with some rice I’d welcome the bigger Iceland portion. The Iceland range has increased and includes £1 pouches of things like rice and mash, plus the likes of lamb or beef stew, Chinese dishes etc at £2

So for longer term storage the LWWF wins really but for value for money, bulk etc it’s the Iceland range for me should I go on a trip where I’m not ‘really’ cooking and I guess if your not a greedy so and so you could make one Iceland meal enough for two with a bit of extra rice.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Interesting, Thank you, I don't normally use BIB meals, but will look at the Iceland ones next time.... :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Bigger isn't always best IMHO. You probably will get better nutritional value from lwwf. Bit like saying a macD is is better than a premium burger...in this instance....its like saying there's more value and protein in a barn reared bulk fed monster than a chicken reared in a field. Just my humble opinion, but I reckon one worth some thought for the sake of an extra quid or two?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Bigger isn't always best IMHO. You probably will get better nutritional value from lwwf. Bit like saying a macD is is better than a premium burger...in this instance....its like saying there's more value and protein in a barn reared bulk fed monster than a chicken reared in a field. Just my humble opinion, but I reckon one worth some thought for the sake of an extra quid or two?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm with Chiseller on this one, plus if the marketing is to be believed its a company that support UK farmers.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Be interesting to see the back of the two packets to compare ingredients/nutrition etc. But if there's not much in it taste-wise, and Iceland has proper chunks of meat, sounds like its worth a try.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
cheers rik.

Has anyone tried to warm up the currys in the bag? i.e boil in the bag?

The Iceland pack says to use a microwave or boil in the bag and I've only ever tried them after boil in the bag.

I try out all sorts of food to see how they would be on a camping trip and one to avoid like the plague is Tesco Everyday Value chicken curry, it tastes vile and glows in the dark!

I'll buy a few of the Iceland range and post up some pictures over the weekend. For me any of these meals are just a quick fix for a one or two night trip, 99% of the time (as I base camp) I cook fresh only with beans being about the only canned food I take.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing more. I have tried dehydrated meals and don't really get on with them or rat packs, so its nice to know there are other options out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE