I am Pretending I am Allright...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
...But I am not.

I have been kicked off of my postgrad course, the tutor doesnt like me and marked me down, so I did not get the mark I needed to continue.

I suspect I am being discriminated against and I will be appealing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think you might have mentioned some animosity before. Not sure what anyone here can do, but I suspect it’ll be quite difficult to pursue and prove discrimination.

Reactions: Janne

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Through the mark you get in an assignment. Pass or fail.

Proving it is going to be problematic.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
When did you find this out? You didn't seem to know about this last night and as it's new years day and the uni is closed for the holidays. How did you find out today?
I'm a bit confused. Sorry forgive my ignorance never been to uni so don't know much about how things work.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just a thought here. Maybe it's time to move on from your current uni. If things are not working it's pointless banging on hoping to get somewhere.
It doesn't mean you have to give up on this. A quick Google shows me both bournemouth and Southampton uni do these courses and there is always the option of part time courses so you can also support yourself in some way.
Applications have to be in by Jan 17th so if you were to explain it is a clash with your tutor you might get a chance to move into a better and possibly more supportive environment. Worth a look at.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have been kicked off of my postgrad course, the tutor doesnt like me and marked me down, so I did not get the mark I needed to continue.

I suspect I am being discriminated against and I will be appealing.

*post edited due to correction*

Apologies Tengu, but....

If you 'suspect' you're being discriminated against, launch an appeal immediately.

If you haven't made the grade, then that is surely a shame and very disappointing to you.

But here's your chance.... you can now look forward to a different path. Now you have a choice again. You aren't locked into a struggle against perceived insurmountable odds, the world is your oyster Tengu. Get inspired, get motivated. Find your next love in life and go get after it!

Best of luck and do try to not be negative in things, be positive in things. Be 'Pro stuff' and not 'Anti stuff'.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Well, not much of that is true, really. I mean what you specifically describe is sound but few post grad degrees are solely (or even partly) assessed by formal examination. Mostly it is course work, dissertation etc. Second marking is mainly a sampling exercise to maintain consistency across the institution and parity elsewhere. Although, the diss and its defence is often a two (plus) person thing.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Well, not much of that is true, really. I mean what you specifically describe is sound but few post grad degrees are solely (or even partly) assessed by formal examination. Mostly it is course work, dissertation etc. Second marking is mainly a sampling exercise to maintain consistency across the institution and parity elsewhere. Although, the diss and its defence is often a two (plus) person thing.

I am happy to stand corrected. But as you say, if Tengu did write a dissertation, then it would as you say be subject to a second mark. Either way, for Tengu it's time to move on maybe....

Reactions: Billy-o

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yup, sorry Van-Wild, but you're not entirely correct in what you say.
That may be the case in schools but not in universities. That's because a university has the power to award its own qualifications (a degree). As such, it sets its own curricula, own assessments and exams.
I speak as someone who was once a university lecturer. I set my own dissertations, set my own exams, and it was me who marked the damned things!
If a student challenged the mark then it was handed to another lecturer to second mark blind (they would not be aware of the first mark). The student was stuck with the second mark whether it was better or worse.
So Tengu is right to ask for the work to be second marked.

Tengu - what makes you think the tutor dislikes you? What have they said to you or how have they acted toward you? And why do you think they have done so?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Yup, sorry Van-Wild, but you're not entirely correct in what you say.
That may be the case in schools but not in universities. That's because a university has the power to award its own qualifications (a degree). As such, it sets its own curricula, own assessments and exams.
I speak as someone who was once a university lecturer. I set my own dissertations, set my own exams, and it was me who marked the damned things!
If a student challenged the mark then it was handed to another lecturer to second mark blind (they would not be aware of the first mark). The student was stuck with the second mark whether it was better or worse.
So Tengu is right to ask for the work to be second marked.

Tengu - what makes you think the tutor dislikes you? What have they said to you or how have they acted toward you? And why do you think they have done so?
Fair enough.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I can't comment on post grad qualifications, but ug exams where I work are double marked as a matter of course and depending on the variance of those triple marked.
However, complaints of bias will be properly investigated by senior faculty members as any uni needs to be seen to be doing it properly

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, whilst practices in assessment vary in European and North American universities, one thing they all have in common are rigorous, student-centred appeals/reassessment/complaints procedures.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
My post grad course (MSc) let me take the credits I'd earned at one univercity and take them to another institution and/or course

they lost a bit of value though

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Get your original specification wording, a copy of your work and take it to an independant person for assesment. The course you are doing (archaeology ? ) must have someone on here who is qualified. Pay them 50 pounds? And state that will be all. Highly possible that your work is not to the taste of the university. Remember the man who descovered cfc and ozone depletion was deriled by the "academic" community and dinosaurs did not turn into birds !

Reactions: santaman2000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s also worth asking you Tengu, where you plan to take the qualification if it is awarded? What are you hoping it will bring? Are you studying as part of your career path, in order to use it to better establish yourself financially?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats what I want to do, Petrochemicals, but I need an archivist to understand the nuances

Career wise, I doubt theres one, as most folk wont take on someone like me. I love being a student though

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thats what I want to do, Petrochemicals, but I need an archivist to understand the nuances

Career wise, I doubt theres one, as most folk wont take on someone like me. I love being a student though

Seems like you have a hobby but need a job then???
Henry ford could find a job for anyone and he couldn't even Google it. There will be something out there to suit you I'm sure you obviously have academic skills and are more than likely fairly computer literate.
You said you own your own home free and clear so any debts you have could be offset against the mortgage/rent you don't need to pay

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE