How much would you pay for a permission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 24, 2017
Great Dunmow
Hi all I've just got a permission it' a small wood about 5 acres on the owners small holding the deal is for every night I stay I supply a bag of pig food for his kune kune pigs which is about £8.00 plus 2hrs work in the woods collecting firewood and general woodland management work I'm allowed to build a permanent camp/shelter and I'm also allowed to shoot rabbits/pigeons and other pests with my air rifle
I can only camp on specific dates but these are very flexible
And if things work out will be allowed to invite guests occasionally
What do others think of this agreement ??
I'd be interested to know what others pay or do to keep their permissions

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF
May 24, 2017
Great Dunmow
I'm happy with the deal really but it' a new thing for both myself and the owner and I think given a ittle time and a when the trust is gained I think it could turn out to be beneficial to us both and it' only 15mins down the road so I don' have to travel far

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What's the maximum number of nights you can camp there?

It's just that you're in for for about £24 per nights camping (£8 for pig feed and 2 hrs labour @ £7.83) which is rather steep to me.

Personally a days work plus a bag of feed for a few nights camping per month is much more reasonable.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Forgetting the work part (you'll probably enjoy having something to contribute directly to the wood) I think that's a very good deal. It's quite possible to make a small 5 acre woodland pay a lot more than £16 a weekend.

Reactions: Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On the site I use about one weekend a month for myself and "The South Wales Bushcrafters - Clynfyw Meeters" group we have a voluntary agreement to give £5 per person per night stayed plus the site is kept in a safe and usable condition for the participants at Clynfyw Care Farm to use (we have roughly one day of activities there per week, weather permitting. I work at the farm doing Domicilary Care and teaching Bushcraft, leathercraft and other support roles.
The Care Farm participants also contribute to site maintainance but the owners have donated timber for us to build a huge lean-to, lets us take whatever firewood is freely available (and buy in charcoal from the farm's kiln as well as seasoned firewood when there is not enough "wild wood" around) while we also have access to a square mile of the farm other than our little "home" patch, we can safely leave kit on site, have the use of toilets at the farm - about half a mile away - and I have pretty much free access, personally, if I want it.
The donations go to supporting activities at the farm from sending medical and mobility aids to a sister organisation to distribute in Southern Africa to activities for the Care Farm participants
My other woodland - about an acre - has no facilities apart from wood but I have totally free access for me and my buddies. I used to pay a couple of bottles of home made wine per year (from the sap of their own Birch trees!) but the drinker of the pair of brothers who own the woods died and the survivor is not interested in any payment now. These woods are about 1/4 mile from my door and I drop in every time I walk around the village and weather and daylight permitting, I stop off on my way to work every working morning, for about 15 mins.
At both sites I can leave basic kit, but less gets left at my local woods as there is nothing to stop anyone wandering in ... not that anything has gone missing or been damaged yet:)
One site owner is my boss, one my next door but one neighbor on one side of the lane (although 1/4 mile away) the local Taffia see that nothing is amiss and any "unusual" activity is reported :)
I guess that I probably have the best deals in Bushcrafting sites around :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It's just that you're in for for about £24 per nights camping (£8 for pig feed and 2 hrs labour @ £7.83) which is rather steep to me.
Does seem on the high side. Having the "right" to build a permanent shelter, mind, may change things. Give it a couple of months and see if you can revise the costs. Is the 2 hours work going to be a bit of tinkering which is fun or in fact work which takes 2 hours graft? If it does not feel right after 6 months, you can stop.
If we take the 2 hours work as stuff you would like to do / practise / play at then £8 a night, no transport costs is not so bad.

Truth is I think if I was offered the same deal, I would go for it. ( plus the rabbits could save you a few quid in any case!!!)

Reactions: Toddy
May 24, 2017
Great Dunmow
I don' really want to get into the work side as far as pay rates go the owner needs help maintaining the wood and I need fire wood and shelter building materials so the work side of things is beneficial to both
The owner also has a small field he lets out for camping in summer so it' already been agreed that any fire wood sales would be of benefit to both of us so really it' £8 per night which I think is reasonable I should add I'm also allowed to put in a longdrop toilet for my use and pretty much have the wood to myself whenever I want

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I should add I'm also allowed to put in a longdrop toilet for my use and pretty much have the wood to myself whenever I want

I would consider a 'tree bog' style toilet instead of just a long drop. I've put one in my wood and, so far, it works really well. It is quite a bit more work than a long drop but, if the permission is reasonably secure for a few years, worth the extra effort.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Go on - what's a tree bog? :)

Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread - a tree bog is a type of raised composting toilet that uses the growing trees around it to extract all the nutrients from the waste. The great advantage is it deals with liquid as well as solid. Theoretically it should never need emptying if the tree growth around it is vigorous enough. Where there is no existing woodland, fast growing trees like willow are planted around it.

If you PM me with an email address I can send you some photos and a bit more detail but a Google search will show you the basics.

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
How much would you pay to camp in a campsite? I think £8 per night is fair.

I charge between £5-10 per per person to use my site. For that they have use of my camp including toilet and fire wood and more importantly the piece of mind they are not going to have an altercation with a landowner.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The owner also has a small field he lets out for camping in summer so it' already been agreed that any fire wood sales would be of benefit to both of us so really it' £8 per night which I think is reasonable

Put like that where you're going to actually profit from your labour in the long run then it's a much more fair deal

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE