How do I get into shooting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I was reading this thread yesterday which stirred old memories of airgun shooting with my grandad as a nipper. Relatively new chap BushcraftAndSurvival posted how difficult it is go get shooting unless you're in bed with a landowner.

This got me thinking about how I would start shooting? I did a bit of research and discovered that the Northern office of BASC is up the road in Gisburn, and there's a local target range in blackburn.

Let's assume I want to start with airgun rifle target shooting and lets work up from there. I'll be honest, game shooting and getting a firearms certificate isn't high on my list at the moment, but I am interested in opening those doors.

So what would you guys that shoot suggest I try to get the ball rolling? (the obvious is call the BASC for tips, call the target range, but let's discuss stuff!)

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
BASC shooter insurance always helps when approaching landowners, I found that by approaching the local farmers in a confident and friendly way and just having a chat is a great plan. I also have a profromer that they sign to show that I have permission, but stress that the landowner can change this agreement at any time, I think thats appreciated too.

I found the personal touch worked for me, but I live in a nice friendly rural area and folk are generally very welcoming to having a responsible person to keep rabbits crows etc in check for them. Offering something for their pot never hurts either!

You could also look at HFT or Hunter Field Target, this is a good way to practise and compete if you like at and meet other likeminded locals who can usually point you in a good direction.

Hope that helps

Drew

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
It's about knocking on doors and asking but be prepared to give something back by maybe helping out now and then,a bottle of malt at xmas.I just happend to be in right place at the right place at the right time.I had a load of cards printed offering free vermin control but the best is just keep your ears and eyes open.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Thanks guys. Getting access to land is probably the last thing I'll be doing from the off. Bear in mind, I have no rifle, and haven't fired one for 10 years. So really what I'm asking is how is the best way to start so that down the road, with experience and skills learned I'll be able to get out there and try my luck.

HI all.
I would do a bit of reaserch about what clubs are in your area.Like clay shooting,smallbore target shooting,airgun clubs.Ask about how to join. To become a member.After a period of time usually about 6 months -1 year.(The club has to satisfy itself that you are a genuine sort of chap. not just after a fac or shotgun cert,then once you get them they never see you again). When you have been to the club for awhile and have struck up a few friendships,offers to shoot vermin may come.Dont be pushy,these things take time.After all, you will be walking around with a leathal weapon,people have to trust you.
regards Chris.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It looks like your local club is large, active, well organised and offers many different disciplines, so I would certainly start there.

Air rifle target shooting comes in two very different flavours. Your local club offers the 10m Olympic style shooting, which is shot standing up, with expensive, fairly low-powered, heavy target rifles and the shooters often wear rigid supportive jackets. When I did 10m air pistol competitions we used to smile at the time it took for them to get ready. Pistol shooters justturn up in jeans and sweatshirt and get cracking.

The other type of air rifle shooting is field target shooting, done with higher powered but still licence free hunting type rifles.

If the club is nearby, I would seriously consider taking up .22 rimfire (firearm ) rifle shooting. And I see they also shoot muzzle loading pistols, which I guarantee is a lot of fun.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Thanks all. I think I'll drop an enquiry and see what happens.

Doc, I didn't see the .22 rimfire when I visited the site. That's what I used to shoot abroad, be nice to get back into it. The club is a bus ride away so not far at all. Just wondering though, how do you start an email saying you want to get into shooting? "Hi, I would like to get into shooting"?

I've also been reading the help over on the BASC site and it really does de-mystify the application process. I think that applying for a licence is fraught with the assumption of being 'guilty until proved innocent' if you follow. Well, it does for me anyway. The help files on the BASC dispel the drama a bit.

So, are there any shooters on here local to me in East Lancs? Be nice to meet up if it all goes well.

thebrown83

Jan 3, 2012
Manchester, England
Thanks all. I think I'll drop an enquiry and see what happens.

Doc, I didn't see the .22 rimfire when I visited the site. That's what I used to shoot abroad, be nice to get back into it. The club is a bus ride away so not far at all. Just wondering though, how do you start an email saying you want to get into shooting? "Hi, I would like to get into shooting"?

I've also been reading the help over on the BASC site and it really does de-mystify the application process. I think that applying for a licence is fraught with the assumption of being 'guilty until proved innocent' if you follow. Well, it does for me anyway. The help files on the BASC dispel the drama a bit.

So, are there any shooters on here local to me in East Lancs? Be nice to meet up if it all goes well.

Alright mate,

I originally started the other thread, 'Airguns?' and although I have a few rifles I am only limited to garden plinking and going up to the club at the minute which isn't far from your way in Blackburn, BOAG (Blackburn Outdoor Airgun Club) which I highly recommend.

I am personally on the hunt for permissions myself, I've asked about, sent letters but am yet to hear back from any of them unfortunately as they are quite scarce to find up my way as there's not too much land uncalled for but am sure if you ask at farms around your area, I bet you'll get something mate and I'll gladly come on a shoot with you if you do! ha

Danny

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Quick update:

I went along to the nearby shooting club and was shown round and we talked about what I'd like to do etc etc. They're all a very friendly and well established bunch with an RFD in the building. The best advice, and it's always one I like to hear was "Don't buy anything for a while until you know what you actually want to do, we have everything here you can use".

They have a miniature rifle range, so I was invited to have a go with the .22 rimshot:

IMG_0017.jpg

I'll be joining for sure. I'm positive avenues will open up in the future.

Last edited:

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
Do some research in to what air rifle you want (gas ram/springer/pneumatic), budget for bag/scope,pellets and set up a good back stop in garden and plink away.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Bro Happy New Year.
Try to find a HFT course somewhere near by "Hunter Field Target". They are great fun, silhouette animal metal drop down targets, and the occasional night shoot to. 177 is by far the most popular guns on the courses. I use a Air Arms Pro Sport 177 springer a great rifle but most guys on the coarse use co2, Co2 No recoil so super accurate.
Good luck Bro.

Last edited:

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Hey Pol, same to you. Glad to see you haven't been eaten by any giant hares.

Since the club have explained that because they have a registered mini rifle range (which means that you don't need a FAC to shoot on it) I think I'll be skipping the air all together. However, that's not to say I won't have a go down the range. The club said it's a good idea to try every single type they offer (and they offer them all) under instruction so no doubt I'll settle into to a chosen tool soon enough.

Interestingly, the club chap told me that joining the club is reasonable grounds to apply and be granted a FAC, which is contrary to what I've heard 'on the internet'.

But please if you hear of me considering a rifle buy within 3 months, Stop me! :D

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Aye, go for the 22LR stuff, its real nice to hear a bang when you pull the trigger, There are a couple o good target ranges up here to. Don’t look at any of the ain gun catalogues, the airgun's are so smart these days and I particularly recommend not looking at Air Arms or FX air guns ... sorry bro couldn’t resist it.
All the best Bro.

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
My best shooting has come from being a regular beater on local shoots - you give up a few saturdays in Nov, Dec and Jan wandering about the woods with a stick and getting paid for it. Normally at the end of the season you get a crack at the pheasant on a 'beaters day' and then roost shooting woodpigeon in February. It snowballs from there - you get a spaniel, ferrets, etc we ended up looking after 2 pens on a DIY shoot and spent most weekends brashing up, feeding, dogging in, controlling vermin, etc. Unlimited access to rabbiting and invites from stalkers to go out after roe.

One thing to bear in mind is that a farmer may not hold the shooting rights on his land - I got caught out by this once when a farmer gave me permission but hadn't told the local keeper -whoops. It was fine in the end but could have been messy.

Good luck.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Cheers Bowlander. I think I'll have more chance of quarry round your end really, but since I *still* don't drive it'd be a long walk! Never considered beating, you'll have to give me some tips on how to start that conversation.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Theres a whole organisation for people who want to get into beating - NOBS, they have a website and forum. Many shoots use NOBS to find new beaters so its worth a go. On grouse days some Estates send out Land Rovers/Minibuses into local villages and towns to collect beaters.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
They have a miniature rifle range, so I was invited to have a go with the .22 rimshot:

It's a rimfire chap. You have to be careful with that mix up.....

Good shooting for a first time back - well done.

I bought an ir rifle and asked a farmer I met, he said yes. Then he got me my .22 LR, then he took me stalking. I had a days stalking which had a written invitation - .243 followed swiftly. I have been asked to cull Falllow as well as Roe and Muntjac so I'm putting in for a .308 and am doing my DSC1 soon. I go beating where I do the roe and munties and that has been my biggest in - again by the farmer I asked on day one. I was sat in his lounge thawing out this evening hearing his stories about PoWs bagging rabbits with him as a boy during the war.

Good luck in whatever you do, it's one of those situations where you are just supposed to know it, I've had a lot of help and if there is anything I can help with, albeit from a distance, drop me a pm.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Thanks Richard, hopefully a rimshot is just a move in basketball and not something rude!

I'm looking forward to adventures, that's for sure. The missus isn't too happy (she's vegetarian) but thems the breaks!

I bought an ir rifle and asked a farmer I met, he said yes. Then he got me my .22 LR, then he took me stalking. I had a days stalking which had a written invitation - .243 followed swiftly. I have been asked to cull Falllow as well as Roe and Muntjac so I'm putting in for a .308 and am doing my DSC1 soon.

I should add that's exactly how I want my progress to be, just that; progress. Start on the range with the .22, meet people and move up and forward from there.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll be free in April / May mcCairney. If you can make it over to Humberside, I'd be happy to set you up with some range time on a variety of rifles (centre fire and rimfire) - can certainly get you to try out a lot of calibres and types

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE