Homesteading Tool Kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've been thinking, that since we now have a forum dedicated to Homesteading/Smallholding/Allotments etc, that it would be a good idea to start a thread regarding the tools needed/used in this kind of thing.

A whole new toolset compared to standard bushy stuff, and you know we like to talk tools :)

So perhaps we could compile a list of essentials, with recommended manufacturers etc, perhaps we could also list the tools/manufacturers to avoid?

For example.... who makes quality garden tools? Spades, hoes, etc...

I'm looking for inspiration myself as i'm getting a whole new set of tools for the allotments and would like to buy well, buy once :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love the idea - but I suggest we need to have several threads - one for gardening, one for fencing, one for firewood processing, one for engine maintenance, one for carpentry / joinery etc.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
For the gardening section I would recommend Felco secateurs, lots of different models available, I get on best with No.8, they rarely need sharpening and are very comfortable to use. A little more expensive but they are very good. I have used mine for 12 years now and I have replaced the blade once.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
-A good full sized axe (Plumb, if you can find one) or two

-A good 18" chainsaw (preferably Husqvarna)

-A tractor? Or if you prefer a horse/mule, then a good set of harness: 1) Padded Collar, 2) A set of Haines, 3) Trace Chains, 4) Single-Tree (and a Double tree if you use a team) 5) Either leather reins or a coil of good cotton rope to serve the purpose, 7) Plowing bridles.

-Plenty of rope, cable, and chains

-

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
We get most of our tools from the monthly farmers market sale old refurbished tools that you would pay a fortune for today superb value, our last purchase was a 1940s american forces machete for a fiver.

what I deem essential bits of kit for day to day use

A decent bow saw
good axe I have a Husky for the money you cannot fault it
Billhook circa 1940s
splitting maul
machete or gollock both are Martindale
post thumper not sure what they are called
wire cutters
fork,spade and rake
can't think of anything else at the moment.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
For the gardening section I would recommend Felco secateurs, lots of different models available, I get on best with No.8, they rarely need sharpening and are very comfortable to use. A little more expensive but they are very good. I have used mine for 12 years now and I have replaced the blade once.

Just had a look at those. They do look like well made, high quality, yet simple enough tools. Thanks for the suggestion :)

A hillbill hook would be a good starting point. :)

One day, when time allows perhaps :)

Craig. ....

-A good full sized axe (Plumb, if you can find one) or two

-A good 18" chainsaw (preferably Husqvarna)

-A tractor? Or if you prefer a horse/mule, then a good set of harness: 1) Padded Collar, 2) A set of Haines, 3) Trace Chains, 4) Single-Tree (and a Double tree if you use a team) 5) Either leather reins or a coil of good cotton rope to serve the purpose, 7) Plowing bridles.

-Plenty of rope, cable, and chains

-

A husky chainsaw eh? Not a Stihl?...... :D

We get most of our tools from the monthly farmers market sale old refurbished tools that you would pay a fortune for today superb value, our last purchase was a 1940s american forces machete for a fiver.

what I deem essential bits of kit for day to day use

A decent bow saw
good axe I have a Husky for the money you cannot fault it
Billhook circa 1940s
splitting maul
machete or gollock both are Martindale
post thumper not sure what they are called
wire cutters
fork,spade and rake
can't think of anything else at the moment.

I'm gonna be hitting the carboot sales for a lot of it..... need a good selection of screws and nails.... the guy i share with likes building medieval torture chambers..... nails sticking out of every bit of wood...... he'll happily use a 6" nail on something needing a 3"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wheelbarrows are great. But all I'd prefer to use tools to make my own rather than consider it a tool in and of itself. I know, I know, it really IS a tool; but then, so is a ladder (something else you can easily make yourself)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
After going through 3 cheap forks, having to dump them all with very bent tines, I decided to spend a decent amount and get a good quality fork. With a name like Neverbend, perhaps it will last longer. So I now have a matching pair of Border fork and spade Evidence so far is that they have both survived a season in the garden without bending, which is considerably better than the previous tools.

For other garden tools, as I have a small garden and am short on shed space, I am a fan of the Gardena combisystem. You buy a handle, and then a selection of interchangeable tool ends to go on said handle. The tools are very good quality, with a wide selection of different tools you can stick on the end. It's a nice way to avoid having a shed full of handles... It also allows you to be creative with what you put on the end of the handle, with a trowel or tiny hand fork on the end of a 6ft pole, for when you're weeding the hard to reach areas without treading on the plants.

For most of the rest of the tools I use in the garden, they are either my normal bushcraft tools (axe, folding saw etc...), or normal household tools (drill, screwdriver etc...).

J

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
My garden tools are a collection of antiques gathered from grandads and old boys that I've done jobs for. Most are given with the phrase. 'You can ave that. It's old that is. Was mi fathers'

That's when you know it's a good quality tool.
New handle and its good for another generation at least.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Cost benefit if you want to make all your own stuff. If homesteading is the aim then you can short circuit years of inheriting tools or months making them by buying what you need, new or second-hand. I know of some people who have spent their lives accumulating gear for their dream without actually realising it. Earth to plant stuff in and a means of cultivating it are surely the basics if self-sufficient gardening is the aim?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah, that seems sensible given the scope of things it can cover.

I had a quick squint today - I fear there are too many tools to list :(

I did take some photos today of what I was doing (rough carpentry) which might serve to show the sort of thing that I get up to...happy to do a sort of "mini blog" and people can draw their own lists of tools if they want to? I did something similar on processing firewood a while ago, it generated some useful tips (for me) on chainsaw boots and pneumatic splitters IIRC.

Would that be of interest?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE