1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Herbal Medicines indexed by Complaint?

Discussion in 'Hygiene and First Aid / Medicinal' started by Pandabean, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Pandabean

Pandabean Full Member

North of Bennachie and a bit to the right, Aberdee
    Are there any good books or websites out there that discuss herbal remedies (UK Plants) but instead of being indexed by the plant, are any indexed by the complaint? Such as cuts....these herbs are good to use....but this one with caution.... or hygeine etc.

2. The Ratcatcher

The Ratcatcher Full Member

I have a copy of "Neals Yard Natural Remedies" which lists herbal, aromatherapy and homeopathic remedies by complaint. I don't know if it's still available, I've had my copy for a few years, but if it is, Neals Yard will have it. ( No connection, etc.etc.)

Alan

3. BoonDoc

BoonDoc Forager

I found 7song's free articles well worth the look. link
    But for those of us here in the British Isles nothing beats Andrew Chevallier's book.

4. Pandabean

Pandabean Full Member

North of Bennachie and a bit to the right, Aberdee
    Cheers for the links. I like the look of the Encyclopedia of Medicinal Herbs, I take it is quite detailed and that many of the plants can be easily identified?

5. BoonDoc

BoonDoc Forager

It is a great book for starting out and still nice to have after years of learning herbs. There are plenty of plants that are easy to identify and that are safe.
    I would start with plantago, yarrow, dandelion, dock and wood sorrel. They are great to eat and are medicinal as well.
    Here is a blog post on this.

6. persistent king

persistent king Settler

ive just purchased " everybodys guide to nature cure " by harry benjamin . it was recomended to me by a naturopath freind of mine after buying several misleading books ,this one is well worth a look at, very interesting .

7. winst0nsmith

winst0nsmith Tenderfoot

RHS Encyclopedia of Herbs by Deni Bown, ISBN 10: 1405332387, ISBN 13: 978-1405332385

Does it every way, it also goes into essential oils and natural dyes too. It is very well written with many interesting anecdotes about the history and mythology surrounding herbs too. However the index can be a bit of a bugger to use as it is so in depth that there are many references and the main sections on each herb are not in bold, it is also alphabetically listed by latin name which doesn't help either but besides these flaws, a great book.

The Green Pharmacy by Dr James A Duke, ISBN 10: 0875963161, ISBN 13: 9780875963167

Is much easier to use but doesn't cover growing herbs, only their uses; also covers essential oils. Dr Duke has other books out there that look good too but I have no personal experience of them. He has a huge database he's made about herbs but I have not found it online yet in full form, his website has alot of info though..

http://www.greenpharmacy.com/

There's quite a bit on scribd.com too, I have downloaded alot of it but it is all on my portable hard drive is out on loan at the moment (knowledege is wealth, share the waelth), I can email/dropbox when get it back or even send you my scribd login if you're desperate.

Hope it helps,

W :)