Hep B vaccination for first aiders etc, should we bother?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Hello all

Just a quick question(s) for all those medical professionals, CFR's, first aiders, wilderness medics etc.

Do you think you should have the Hep B vaccination, does the organisation you belong to have a policy relating to it and if so what is it?

The reason for asking is that I am a Community Responder for my regional Ambulance service. They originally didn't provide for the Hep B vaccine, a swift policy change saw every responder requiring one and them providing it, but then a further policy change and we responders don't need it I suspect this is cost related as with all trusts ours is under serious budget constraints and at a £110 per vaccine and 1000 responders this is a heavy burden!

Anyway I'm just canvassing opinion and interested in what happens elsewhere.

Cheers

P

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I think I would be happy to have the vaccination if I was a responder. Especially in an inner city environment.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If you say you have been biten by a person your doctor gives it for free IIRC...

I had mine for free when I was working in a secure childrens home - doct said why take the chance?

Simon

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
they said `why take the chance?` to me to, and they give it me, got anaplylatic shock from it and couldnt stand for near six weeks. `nay nay` said the doctors, lovely safe vaccine this, you must have a virus. well this `virus` started from the injection site and spread across my chest to my lungs and I couldnt draw a full breath, then my heartbeat became painful, but the doctors never put that I had a reaction on my records and did not inform anybody. it is viewed as a `safe` vaccine because reaction is one in ten thousand, however statistics stay that way because doctors are persuaded not to report these things.
Hep B has left some people dead, or in iron lungs and I know I came close to that because I felt my lungs begin to stop working, I dread to think what would happen if they gave me the booster.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
As a profesional first aid organisation our policy is that all should have the Hep B vaccination, at best it's not needed but at worst it could save a heck of a lot of heartache and illness. We cover many big events like "T in the Park" and such like and you never know by just looking at someone for the first time what disease they may or may not carry, even when wearing gloves you may need to deal with an open wound so for me it's better to be safe than sorry eh!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In the United States Hep B vaccination is universal. I think this is a good policy.

If you need it for occupational reasons, strictly speaking it is for the employers occupational health dept to organise and fund it.

We try and immunise our drug addicts, though uptake is not great, and Hep C is probably a greater risk for them. I don't have a problem with prescribing vaccine for patients who are at potential risk of Hep B.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Take the course, its standard practise for NHS workers (in my neck of the woods anyway), should be for first aiders too. Have a chat with your GP and explain, he or she may well offer you the course. The last costing I saw was about three years ago and worked out at around £35 for the course, you should pay no more than prescription costs. Better safe than sorry.

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
If you have a nice GP they should do it for you FOC - especially if you explain exactly why you want it.

You are more likely to come into contact with Hep B than HIV, so is a good idea. Anyone who does anything clinical with the NHS gets the jab, and I think even porters do as they still have patient contact. You are coming into contact with patients on behalf of the NHS so you should get it too.

Oh, and if your GP isn't too nice, ask at your local hospital or trust's Oc. health.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE