Help in my search for a new pack would be most appreciated!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

I've not posted or been around here for a while, having a two year old limits means your time for internet forums becomes somewhat rare! Anyway, it's good to be back and I hope everyone is well!

I'm after a new bag, so apologies if this seems like a "same old same old" thread.

I have a bergan for the large long trips, and have a series of PLCE pouches for organisation of git/grab and go for a few hour type instances.

I'm after a bag that will in an ideal world function as my day top day scouting "grab" bag, that can function nicely and be comfy as a daypack, and potentially be used for a weekend trip. I know it's a big ask, and that reaches accross a variety of different scenarios.

I'm trying to get a lot more organised, rather than having kit spread amongst various bags I have used recently, the garage and the house! (please tell me I can't be the only one!)

With the above in mind, I started looking at the "tactical" style packs, as I like the clamshell design, and want a reasonable amount of compartments and pockets to organise my kit into. I hate delving into a soup of kit to try and find something.

I started to look at the cheaper makes on Amazon like mil-tec, Kombat, CVlife, and whilst the price is great, wonder if they are too good to be true! I should explain at this point I am looking at Amazon for the purchase really, as I have a good amount of vouchers from a recent birthday.

I then started to look at the Maxpedition Falcon 2, which seems like it'll last and do what I'm after, and then I found the 5.11 Rush series. These look fantastic, and the rush 24 and 72 seem to be the most likely competitors. I'm unsure about the 24 though, due to it's lack of hip belt. Enter the 72...
This bag seems to be everything I want, but I am wondering I'll find it a little large for a day sack. I read Simon M's review on it, which was really useful.

The problem with Maxpedition and 5.11, or rather my sticking point is the cost. I know you get what you pay for, but are they really worth that kind of cash?

My main reason really for posting, is to see what you peeps reckon, I can't be the first in this kind of search for a perfect bag that bridges the gap between small daysack and large bergan!!

Any thoughts you have are appreciated, even if they are pointing me elsewhere. If I'm spending decent amount of cash on a bag, I want to make sure I'm happy with it!

Cheers!

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
I've recently been on the same hunt. Like yourself I have the ex military Bergen and collection of side pouches. I have just snapped up a Lowe Alpine Strike on eBay. These are Dutch army packs of about 45ltrs. They are PLCE side pouch compatible so can have an added 20+ litres for longer days. I've packed my Strike with my normal out for the day kit. One side pouch attaches when needed and contains my TW Hornet and a 4x4 tarp. The other pouch will hold extra clothes and food for overnights.
You'll probably not find a new one and the used ones are not very common. Very happy with mine and I'll be getting it out for it's first real use after lunch today.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I think you might be better off looking at a surplus pack or maybe a Karrimor Predator 45? Although the Maxpedition stuff is generally good quality I'm not sure it justifies the price when you look at other brands (especially rucksacks and general outdoor brands which have more advanced back support, fabrics and weight at a lower price).

I recently bought a Maxpedition sheath for my new Leatherman- at £16.95 its not the cheapest sheath on the market. Is it good quality? well yes and no. The Velcro is strong but the stitching and quality of material (which actually lets light through) leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not saying their bags are like this but I wouldn't take the chance.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Look at rhe Karrimor sabre and predator, both 45l and can take plce rocket pockets to in crease the capacity

rg598

Native
I would say, focus on a good overnight/multi-day pack. It will have a lot more requirements than a day pack. If you make too much of a compromise you will end up with a poor overnight pack. As far as a day pack, anything will do because the requirements are so low.

I also wouldn't use pack pockets to organize my gear. It ends up being a hassle to pack and unpack. Put your small items in stuff sack like the Sea to Summit ones. That way you can quickly organize your pack.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
As mentioned above, a 40 or 45 litre day sack, with the ability to zip on the PLCE side pockets (increasing the capacity by approx 25 litres together) will be a pretty versatile choice. The Sabre 45 and Lowe Alpine Strike mentioned above would be excellent choices. Or just go for a good 50l -60l pack, and be prepared to use the compression straps on the sides.

I'd steer clear of anything made by mil-tec and Kombat if I were you - they generally seem fairly poor quality, the fabric breaks down quickly, as does the padding in the straps, and the stitching rips. That said, these manufacturers buy from a variety of far east suppliers, so you may get lucky.

Re. 'clamshell' type packs - there are good and bad ones. I've had a 45l blackhawk daysack in this design for a quite a few years now. Wasn't cheap, but is also not very good. Apart from a number of design flaws/bad manufacturing, it also 'flops' around on my back quite badly. The Karrimor SF Delta 35 that I replaced it with is of a clamshell design, but is far better quality, and hugs the back brilliantly.

Clamshell packs are good for pottering round town, using for work etc, but to be honest, i think a traditional top loading pack is the better choice for serious outdoor activity - less to go wrong (i.e. no main zip to break and completely screw you), usually more compressible if you aren't using it to capacity, and more expandable if you need to shove something under the lid.

I'm a great fan of ebay - better to buy a reasonable condition second hand good quality pack than be tempted by some of the very cheap and dubious quality 'tactical' offerings from Amazon (and ebay!).

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Now it's been pointed out, a pack with the option for attaching the place side pockets makes a lot of sense, especially as I already own a bergan, and thus, the side pockets. Thanks for the epiphany moment!!

eBay makes a lot of sense too, than use the vouchers for something else, like stuff sacks and dry bags to arrange my kit into.

It's good to talk!

mutineer

Apr 30, 2013
Hampshire
Hello.
I am looking for the same type of bag as you.
My main point is to steer away from too many sub divided pockets and zips. I have a maxpedition versipack and all the little compartments are a total faff. It is not a serious outdoor field product and I would say that for their kit in general. Get a bag with a traditional open top for field use. Many people on here with at least a reasonable amount of field experience come back to that idea as a standard principle. I like to have just a few accessible pouches on the outside for accessibility to highly used items. The more you have on the outside of the pack, the more you lose. Dangly zips and bits of kit is not generally good.
I am still deciding on the Karrimor 45 predator or sabre. For the price I don't think there is really a contender.
My own hesitation is more a reflection of my mental health. But I have a professional to help me with that!

ATB Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE